Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 03:59 PM

415 posts, read 490,824 times

Advertisements

Just moving to Seattle perhaps to stay and it looks like I'm buying my first house - a self-built 1955 mid-century modern.

It needs quite a lot of work to say the least. My impression is that the fella who built it with his own hands was too tired after that to do any maintenance and it has stood there without any TLC and has deteriorated ever since.

I'm convinced that the most experienced house flippers didn't take it because it's just too much trouble.

For now I just want to live on the lower level while renting out the upper level. I'll have fix both enough to be inhabitable. Looking on Craigslist, two-bedroom offers in my neighborhood are fetching rents of $1200 - 1700.

I don't want to invest too much, I'll only need it to work for 3 - 5 years until I get the plans together to be able to tear it down to build either a custom home or some more of the awesome world famous Seattle townhomes.

To rent the upper level, I believe I'll need to paint, replace floor coverings and freshen the kitchen with new appliances and maybe a quick refinish of the cabinets. The old, single pane windows probably should be replaced, but for 3 - 5 years, it would likely cost more than any energy savings no matter what the improved comfort factor. On the floors, I'd rather have hardwood - but if I'm living on the lower level it might be better to have well padded carpet to dampen noise. What do you think?

The bathrooms have original 50s flair, it's dated but functional and some might actually find it so old that it's cool. Don't want to make any upgrades on these.

Does anybody know of any resources where consumers and homeowners share experiences with the kinds of building trades and services that I'll need? I was hoping for an online homeowners forum. I'll probably also need an accountant to keep track of everything too.

I'd also appreciate any tips on getting the property properly inspected. Because I plan to tear it down in a few years, I don't worry about things that might impede resale. I just would like to know if the roof, foundation, structure, plumbing and electrical systems will hold up for a few more years without anybody getting hurt.

If I'm not asking the questions in the right area, let me know where I'll get a better response.

I'll take any tips for professional services, but how do I know that it isn't just empty self-promotion?

I look forward to all your ideas and help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,727 times
Angie's List can help - we've used it to find subs for our building project (new house). But word of mouth is good also...You need a painter - look online for 3rd Generation Painters. He's out of Granite Falls, but travels all over the Seattle area. Nice guy, trustworthy, hard worker, good painter - strongly recommend...Insulator - if you need one, try Ken Root out of Arlington. He sent his crew on a Saturday so that we could keep our schedule! I strongly recommend him also. Hmm. Do you need anyone else? How about a good roofer or an excellent plumber? :-)

I am just an innocent homeowner, btw. Nothing to gain here, except maybe a little more business for guys that have done excellent work for us.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 PM

415 posts, read 490,824 times
Thanks for the tips.

The house I'm getting probably needs everything new. In fact in a few years I'd like to replace it on the same site.

I just want to know if it will be safe and dry for the time being. It'd be a shame to invest too much in a new roof and windows if it'll be torn down so soon.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,727 times
If you want *new* cabinets (kitchen/bathroom/whatever), you could check Spencer cabinets in Monroe. Much better quality and prices than the big box stores. Or - Ikea supposedly does excellent cabinets at low prices. I thought they looked too "Ikea", but many people like that look!

I don't know if you can ask someone to come out and look at your roof, etc. gratis. They do so expecting a chance at a job from the inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area