Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 08:14 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at buying a different house in the Bothell area. The home we like is in an area that currently is not supplied by natural gas, so the home is propane powered instead. This would be for the forced air heat, the water heater, and the gas stove. It is a 2200 square foot brand new construction home, and I am trying to get an idea on just how much it might cost monthly for propane. Do any of you have a similar setup to share your experience?
I know natural gas would probably be around $120 per month during the winter here for a house that size, and I had read some things online from others (in other states) spending $400 per month for propane- if it's going to be that bad we will have to give up on this house and look at another that is served by natural gas, but I'd rather get info from locals first to get a better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Our neighbor that uses propane says it's in the $400+/mo range for the winter, slightly more than you'd pay for heating oil.

It's surprising a new build would go with propane over an electric heat pump. Maybe the area is scheduled to get gas service installed at some point in the future?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Our neighbor that uses propane says it's in the $400+/mo range for the winter, slightly more than you'd pay for heating oil.

It's surprising a new build would go with propane over an electric heat pump. Maybe the area is scheduled to get gas service installed at some point in the future?
Thanks for the response! Yeah it surprised us, because the home is not out in the boonies, it is just a few blocks off of Bothell-Everett Highway. This one tiny development has propane while the development a block away has natural gas. The builder's agent said there is a chance natural gas will be run to these homes, but they have no way to know for sure. So in that regard I am surprised that they didn't just go with electric heat pumps-- as the price you mention is probably 3 times what it would cost with natural gas!

Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
we are about $100/month for propane heat/hot water...1900 sq ft one level

Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
we are about $100/month for propane heat/hot water...1900 sq ft one level
Is that a yearly average, or what you average during the heating season?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Is that a yearly average, or what you average during the heating season?

sorry - that's yearly average 2 retired adults

Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
sorry - that's yearly average
Thanks for the info! If you don't mind my asking, how much are you paying for propane when you refill- is it about $2.50 per gallon?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM

price fluctuates (like all fuel!) Some vendors offer "sales" in summer months (August esp); and sometimes you can pre-buy at the sale price

we are being less than frugal & are on an automatic refill program so we never have to worry about running out/ordering - so not taking advantage of sales.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:38 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Thanks for the response! Yeah it surprised us, because the home is not out in the boonies, it is just a few blocks off of Bothell-Everett Highway. This one tiny development has propane while the development a block away has natural gas. The builder's agent said there is a chance natural gas will be run to these homes, but they have no way to know for sure. So in that regard I am surprised that they didn't just go with electric heat pumps-- as the price you mention is probably 3 times what it would cost with natural gas!
Heh, actually that was the boonies not that long ago. A few friends used to rent a house on the right of 183rd as a band practice spot because there was not much more than a wrecking yard nearby. Great party spot, nobody around to complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area