Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 28,849 times

Advertisements

Hello, can a Seattle/Eastside resident be able to tell me where a reform/conservative Jewish family-neighborhood might be? We wouldn't feel comfortable living in an orthodox community, but on the other hand, we do want to be able to have our kids attend a school where they aren't the only Jewish kids in their class. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Reform/Conservative Jewish neighborhoods in Seattle?? Boy, you really are from another world aren't you to think that Seattle has such a thing.. The only neighborhood even close to being "Jewish" would be the Seward Park neighborhood which is mostly Modern Orthodox people. Mercer Island also has a larger population of Jewish people. Many Jews who are Conservative and want to try to emulate the Brooklyn experience will end up joining the Modern Orthodox synagogue and live in that neighborhood. Although Mercer Island is the most Jewish, there is nothing Jewish about it.. It is a big money town and not a bastion of traditional Jewish culture. I found that the Modern Orthodox synagogues in Seward Park are actually quite liberal, in all honesty. Your income is usually a more important virtue than your frumness.

One word of warning, the Modern Orthodox Jews in Seattle are very wealthy and unless you have a sufficient income and can afford the synagogue fees you will not be welcomed in the community, just like how I was not welcomed. I felt very uncomfortable attending the synagogue in Seward Park. You definitely feel the animosity and degradation when they deem you are not financially fit. Most people in those neighborhoods are quite wealthy, be warned.

I'm sad to say, but I find the Jewish community in Seattle very cold and unwelcoming, IMO. I am Jewish on both sides, Askhenazi and was attending a Modern Orthodox synagogue, but after getting dirty looks at the Kiddush meal on a regular basis and being ignored by everyone, I decided I'll go somewhere else. If you have a decent income and can pay the dues, you will probably find you are welcomed. I just cannot take the snotty, superficial, cold attitude of Seattle Jews.. At least from the Modern Orthodox/Conservative circles. It is like the worst of both worlds, first you have the Seattle Freeze, then you have snobbery of the Jewish elite. Two of the worst aspects of both cultures combined. Even though I am not Reform and refuse to attend Reform, I have always found them more welcoming. Seattle does have a lot of those synagogues if that floats your boat.

As for your kids, there are a lot of Jewish schools, why not have them attend one? If you really want your kids to be around other Jewish kids, Mercer Island is another option, but prepare to pay $$$$$ to live there.

If you want a more down-home Jewish experience, there is a Chabad in Tacoma. That Rabbi welcomes everyone and your income level isn't a big issue. Avoid the Chabad on the Eastside, unless you got lot of $$$$$.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 01-09-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Beth Shalom and Beth Am, Conservative and Reform, respectively, are in northeast Seattle not real far from each other in Ravenna/Wedgwood. But there aren't any neighborhoods that are really mostly Jewish, except maybe Seward Park, which would have an Orthodox flavor. NE Seattle has a chunk, Mercer Island has a chunk, Bellevue has a chunk, other than that it's pretty spread out.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 PM

7 posts, read 28,849 times
Thanks for your help, I appreciate the speedy responses. Any thoughts on Temple De Hirsch Sinai? Are there any Bellevue neighborhoods that I should prioritize in my search? I am not looking to send my kids to a Jewish Day School. I just want them to be in a diverse community where they are not the only Jewish kids in their school.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Please forgive me for not knowing the right terminology to use, but can you find Jewish houses of worship in the internet with a phone number to call? Perhaps that would also be a good starting place for finding the neighborhoods you are looking for?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:28 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Mercer Island has a sizeable population of Jews with a good-sized conservative synagogue.
Back in the 60's and 70's, this was where most Jews settled, but no longer. Exorbitant home prices and have made this area less attractive over time. Also, more Jews have migrated here from around the country, so the population (and resources) have dispersed more.

Resources for Mercer Island include:
Herzl-NerTamid - Conservative Synagogue HNT
Strom Jewish Community Center Stroum Jewish Community Center Seattle

Today, the whole Eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland and Woodinville) have reformed and conservative families that have settled into the communities and have no trouble assimilating.

Bellevue Resources:
Jewish Day School Latest News - Jewish Day School
B'nai Torah reformed Synagogue Temple B'nai Torah | Building an Inclusive Sacred Community of Reform Jews 15727 NE 4th Street
Goldbergs Deli Goldbergs' Deli

You may also hear about Seward Park in the city of Seattle, since it is the oldest established, Jewish community, and at one time, this was the epicenter of Jewish life in Seattle. But no longer. Today it is, primarily, comprised of older Sephardic Jews and some younger orthodox families who wish to live near and walk to the nearby shuls.

If you are used to living in an area that is almost exclusively Jewish, you will not find this here. Even Mercer Island has become quite diverse. I can tell you that JDS and B'nai Torah are 2 excellent ways to build community, if you end up settling near the area.

Best of luck and welcome!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM

236 posts, read 289,240 times
I think that there are so many Jewish people that are scattered all over the eastside that one year there might be a lot of Jewish kids in a school and another year there are none. Rather than targeting specific public elementary schools that have a Jewish population, I recommend living close to a temple or synagogue you like. That way you can be a more active member and take part in all of the activities they may offer (even if its during rush hour). Plus, you may end up living close by some other members and can get together more often.

I live in an eastside area where I was pretty sure there would be no Jewish kids in my child's school. There are no synagogues or temples nearby. I can't find blintzes at any nearby grocery stores. I am pleasantly surprised to find a few kids in my child's grade who are Jewish. The other parents at school are nice and the school has so many different nationalities that I feel pretty comfortable being a minority there. I think some parents feel I add some diversity to the school

That being said, I do wish I lived closer to a synagogue or temple so that the commute to Sunday school or other activities might not be as long. I just don't want to be caught in rush hour traffic for a Friday night dinner. Also, I wish the nearby grocery store stocked more Jewish food - I love going to Albertson's on Mercer Island and looking around.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times
The neighborhood of Wedgewood was once mentioned to me, but I know nothin' 'bout it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Whole Foods and QFC both carry frozen blintzes. I think I was some at Trader Joe's as well. You can also order them at Goldberg's Deli in the Factoria area of Bellevue. Goldberg's is not as good as a Midwest/East Coast deli, but they have a huge menu, so you can get your fix.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Too bad you're on the Eastside and probably too far away to be practical, but FYI, both Vashon Island and Bainbridge Island have substantial Jewish communities and resources you might find are much more "down to earth".

Havurat Ee Shalom

Chavurat Shir Hayam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area