Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 AM

11 posts, read 22,789 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
We are looking at moving to Washington and have been looking at Rainier, Auburn, Tacoma, Bremerton...those areas. I am a registered nurse with over 20 years of experience. My husband has retail, retail management and lumber yard experience. We have 2 kids just getting started in the work field and one that we homeschool. We would have to rent as our credit is low due to medical bills, even tough my husband qualifies for a VA loan when we get our credit up. We don't mind commuting as long as it isn't too far away. I drive 20 minutes now for my current job. Just would like input on the different areas for living, renting, job opportunities and such. Appreciate any input you all have. Sorry if you get tired of people asking the same questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 12:26 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
You can find a rental via seattlecraigslist.com, zillow, or real estate companies. Maybe start with travel nursing in order to get free housing for a year while you explore the area and find your permanent home & build your credit? They would find a furnished place for you, or you could bank the housing allowance and find your own rental. Welcome!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM

21 posts, read 47,094 times
i think it really depends on where your work place is. I agree with above post that you need to do some research on Craigslist. Meanwhile, i would recommend you take a look at crime map to figure out which place is safer. There are lots of neighborhood that is decent and low cost such as bothell, kenmore, shoreline, renton, new castle in bellevue. Commute during rush hour could still be a problem if you live very far. I would try to find somewhere close so that you can save time (which is money) and gas ( which is also money)

Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Thank you west seattle gal and kaoticfury! I appreciate your input. I am actually looking into the travel nurse option, just filled out an application and looking to fill out others. We may have to move in phases, me and my husband first then the rest of the family since I have kids and my dad. But doing it right,even if it may be hard at first, is how I want to do things so we don't struggle but succeed! Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 PM

634 posts, read 897,414 times
For jobs I'd focus on the valley (Renton/Kent/Auburn) for the whole family, there is plenty of opportunity for retail and trades, entry level and experienced. And rents are low relative to the entire metro area, and you have fantastic views of Mt Rainier since you mentioned that, your close enough that you don't need to pay high rent for it, the view can be seen from everywhere.

Forget Bremerton, limited job market (mostly government) and long expensive commutes (ferry/bridge tolls) and not as inexpensive rent wise as it used to be. Although it's scenic and has more of a smaller metro feel and not a bad choice if you already had jobs lined up.

Tacoma might be a good mid-point location but I don't know, work was always iffy there too and you'll find yourself commuting to South King anyway. But again, fantastic views of Rainier.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 PM

21 posts, read 47,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshel View Post
Thank you west seattle gal and kaoticfury! I appreciate your input. I am actually looking into the travel nurse option, just filled out an application and looking to fill out others. We may have to move in phases, me and my husband first then the rest of the family since I have kids and my dad. But doing it right,even if it may be hard at first, is how I want to do things so we don't struggle but succeed! Thanks again!

You are very welcome. i agree with Garethe. You should start looking at greater Seattle area first. Seattle is a place where you can spend lots of money and live in a fancy life or you can spend less money and still enjoy your life. Don't worry about high tax or "high cost of living". What i learned in my past experience is that you can always save money by shopping smartly. for example, go to good deal site such as fatwallet, slickdeals..etc.

Seattle is a "lazy" city. take it slow, you will be fine.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:17 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshel View Post
We don't mind commuting as long as it isn't too far away. I drive 20 minutes now for my current job.
Guessing most folks around here would love a 20 minute commute ... expect to at least double that here.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I'm assuming that you're looking at Bremerton, Auburn, and Tacoma because they're more inexpensive than other places in the area. If that's the case, look at Kent too. If it's not the case, any particular reason why those places?
Renton might be a tiny bit more expensive, but still way cheaper than most of Seattle and the eastside, and closer to big job centers.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 PM

301 posts, read 519,717 times
If you are looking for a nursing job, don't count out Bremerton (another poster suggested eliminating it from your search). Perhaps they were thinking of the ferry commute issue if you were working on the east side of the sound. That would be a pain. However, Harrison Hospital has two locations (Bremerton and Silverdale) and the Naval Hospital may be a possibility, too. Nearby Gig Harbor has St. Anthony's. Plus lots of private medical clinics and practices. And lots of retail, too, including lumber yards. Here is a link to a Yellow Pages listing of sites around Bremerton: Lumber Yards in Bremerton, Washington with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 PM

Ira500 I originally thought of Bremerton because there was a job listing there. See I work in long term care as MDS Coordinator and recently recieved certification for MDS. But I am open to any nursing job though I do love working with the elderly. I appreciate all the input, we are open to any stable area. We love Washington but would like to stay in the Seattle area.My in laws live in Lacey so it would be nice to be fairly close to them as well.
Prosin, thank you for your insight as well.
I love everyone's knowledge and insight and really do appreciate it! Cant wait until we can make this move happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area