Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:57 AM
fnh fnh started this thread

2,888 posts, read 3,927,672 times

Advertisements

Lol, I think mkarch's point is that Ballard was always (Scandinavian) white, white, white, and thus wouldn't technically meet the definition. But it certainly had its share of grit. A friend of mine bought her home there in the early 90's for a song and thought long and hard before doing so. She watched the drug deals going down at the crack house next door from the park across the street... who thinks about Ballard that way now?

Ballard is wonderful, I'm not knocking it at all, but I hope that the CD avoids losing all of its grittiness like other parts of town have. Authentic is exactly the word I use to describe the CD, with its broad mix of people and buildings. I'm torn giving it public props because while I want to defend it against those who think it is a dangerous place to be, I also don't want it to become trendy and gentrify too quickly either, without consideration for the people who have long lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM

413 posts, read 791,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Clients of mine who are attracted to this area tend to be artistic, musical, out of the box thinkers looking for a little more diversity (and more square footage for the money than Capitol Hill).
I agree with your entire post, but just as an aside, a sizable presence of artists in a neighborhood is just about the most reliable predictor of gentrification that there is. If you to know which neighborhood will be gentrified tomorrow, look for where the artists are living today.

Hopefully the CD retains more of its original charm than some other gentrified neighborhoods.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:39 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,112,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I agree with your entire post, but just as an aside, a sizable presence of artists in a neighborhood is just about the most reliable predictor of gentrification that there is. If you to know which neighborhood will be gentrified tomorrow, look for where the artists are living today.

Hopefully the CD retains more of its original charm than some other gentrified neighborhoods.
I think the odds of the CD retaining it's character are extremely low. The only reason it was 'affordable' for a while was because it was purposely blighted despite it's prime location. People that are spending today's prices to live there aren't likely to tolerate the kinds of behavior that gave the area it's gritty reputation back in the day. Lets not kid ourselves, as soon as the money started coming in the people bringing it were motivated to remove as much of the 'grit' as possible. I don't know anyone that bought there 15 years ago and seriously thought "maybe I shouldn't report this criminal activity to police. I'd hate to see the neighborhood lose the character imparted by open drug sales and use, or the fighting and gunshots". Quite the opposite.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM

8,188 posts, read 8,360,222 times
Sad, but true. I think Fremont is the only place that will stay like the Seattle I remember, mostly due to the fact that most of the space is already taken up.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,401,351 times
Quote:
Sad, but true. I think Fremont is the only place that will stay like the Seattle I remember, mostly due to the fact that most of the space is already taken up.
But you weren't here when 30+ years ago, when Fremont was the place to go for cheap rent, and had so many cool places to go, so many oddball artists. It might stay the same as you remember, but it won't stay the same as I remember. I lived in Fremont for five years. Don't get me wrong, I still like the neighborhood, but it's lost a little bit of it's soul.
The CD still has a few of it's old treasures, in addition to newer stuff that's very appealing. Home of Good BBQ at 17th and Yesler is the oldest barbecue place in the city, still pretty solid and underrated. and the Neighbor Lady at 23rd and Union is fun, friendly, cheap, and has great white bean burgers.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 AM

8,188 posts, read 8,360,222 times
You are right Ira, I've only been here 24 years . I don't for a minute think that Fremont has stayed the same but has remained refreshingly funky even after some evil "gentrification". There is some of the best live music in town, where else in America can you walk to the Troll, an organic chocolate factory, the best British pub in town and Lenin in the same afternoon?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,401,351 times
Quote:
You are right Ira, I've only been here 24 years . I don't for a minute think that Fremont has stayed the same but has remained refreshingly funky even after some evil "gentrification". There is some of the best live music in town, where else in America can you walk to the Troll, an organic chocolate factory, the best British pub in town and Lenin in the same afternoon?
When I lived in Fremont, what is now the organic chocolate factory was a dog and cat food factory.
Believe me, it's better to be downwind from a chocolate factory.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,425,766 times
Not just Jimmy Hendrix, the CD has produced a lot of NBA players, Quincy Jones, rapper Sir Mix A Lot (of "Baby Got Back" fame).

Bruce Lee & Macklemore went to Garfield High in the CD. Kenny G to Franklin. Gary Locke went to Franklin.

NBA players from the CD:
-Brandon Roy (formerly of the Portland Trailblazers and Timberwolves...would have been a perennial all start if not for knee injuries) - Garfiield High
-Jason Terry (Franklin High) - Dallas Mavericks, Celtics, Brooklyn Nets
-Jamal Crawford - LA Clippers
-Aaron Brooks (Franklin High) many NBA teams
-Doug Christie - Sac Kinds
-Peyton Siva (Franklin High) Detroit Pistons
-Terrance Williams
-Tony Wroten (Garfield High) 76ers
-Terrance Williams
-Nate Robinson - many teams
-Will Conroy

Amazing how much talent has come out of that small area.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,425,766 times
I live in the CD where it borders Cap Hill and it is a very central area. You can hit both hwy 90 or 520 pretty quickly to go to eastside. Pike/Pine area. I can walk a few blocks to Trader Joes, Central Coop and YMCA. Downtown, First Hill, Cap Hill, Int. District, Madrona all very close. Lots of pre WW II homes, big older trees, leafy streets. Overall a solid area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area