Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM

63 posts, read 187,839 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any more off the beaten path hikes within 45 minutes or so of seattle where I can hike with my dog off leash and not get too many dirty looks about it? I am used to Vermont hiking - letting my dog run in the woods and catch up to me during the hike... I don't want any of the crowded hikes off i90 - have done many of those and they can be a bummer... Thanks - just looking to get the pooch some serious exercise and am tired of the city parks like Lincoln park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You may run into signs, but few people and I have never seen any enforcement at two great places, Soaring Eagle Park in Sammamish, and the Redmond Watershed Preserve off of Novelty Hill. Hopefully your dog is well behaved in case we run into you there. Stay away from the Sammamish River Trail and Burke-Gilman, too many fast bikes.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
Snoqualmie trail between I90 and Rattlesnake Lake. Not officially off leash, but few people even at peak time. I just keep an eye out and sit them down as the occasional biker or horse rider goes by.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 AM

403 posts, read 681,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessypooh View Post
Hi all,

Does anybody know of any more off the beaten path hikes within 45 minutes or so of seattle where I can hike with my dog off leash and not get too many dirty looks about it? I am used to Vermont hiking - letting my dog run in the woods and catch up to me during the hike... I don't want any of the crowded hikes off i90 - have done many of those and they can be a bummer... Thanks - just looking to get the pooch some serious exercise and am tired of the city parks like Lincoln park.
You get dirty looks because many people let their unbehaved dogs off leash and, quite frankly, one does not know for sure how a dog is going to react when they come upon strangers. It's not unreasonable to ask that dogs be leashed, especially in known high use areas. If you want to let your dog run in the woods, then go off-trail and let it really run in the woods. There's millions of acres of forest land in the area and there's no reason you have to stick to trails, unless you are incapable of off-trail navigation. Find some FS roads, take a drive up, park somewhere, and head out. It's really not as daunting as people seem to think.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
I know what you mean, I went to UVM and lived in Vermont for 5 years. That being said, with a little effort, you'll find some great places close by. In town, I love the wooded trails/parks of Seward Park, Discovery Park in Magnolia and Carkeek Park in North Seattle. All 3 are big enough to get lost with pooch. They have a pretty chilled out vibe, too. Out the 90 east of Issaquah, you might try the Cougar mtn trail. Happy hiking!

Last edited by homesinseattle; 02-28-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Cougar mountain is a good choice. There are hundreds(thousands?) of miles of trails there, so it's very easy to find a less used trail there with an off leash dog.

Echo Mountain between Renton and Maple Valley is often completely empty, except for a few people and their dogs.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 187,839 times
Thanks for all of the responses. I am actually going to go out to Soaring Eagle Park today. I get the response about dogs on trails and the issues that it poses for other walkers,hikers... I consider myself to be a responsible and considerate person - I would never want to impede on the right of others to enjoy their space. I typically hike with my dog in the mountains, but living out here, that is not always doable with any regularity because of time constraints (plus, I have found that the closer in mountain hikes can get so crowded). I live near Lincoln Park, but don't take my dog off leash there - I want to respect the local ways and most dogs remains on leash there, as does mine. Hence, that is why I am looking for someplace close in, but where there is more of a culture of well behaved dogs off leash and away from most of the foot/bike traffic. I love for my dog to have the chance to run around unencumbered, at least once in a while. It just seems like a natural thing to do, and she doesn't seem to run at all at the dog parks (which have always seemed kind of depressing to me anyway, no matter where I have lived). I have been to Discovery once, but need to go back (especially to the part near the Native Culture Center - that seemed to be more off the beaten path) to check out some of the trails there... Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Discovery Park is amazing, a real gem. Park in the far south entrance parking lot, walk to the bluff, you guys will love it. Did you know that many of the Seattle Parks were designed very early (quite visionary for a new city) in the city's history by The Olmsted Brothers, the same people who brought you Central Park in NYC?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Have you been to Marymoor? The off leash area is huge - not just a sad pen with a bunch of fencing around it and no real room to run (which is what the few in my neighborhood consist of).

Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Discovery Park is amazing, a real gem. Park in the far south entrance parking lot, walk to the bluff, you guys will love it. Did you know that many of the Seattle Parks were designed very early (quite visionary for a new city) in the city's history by The Olmsted Brothers, the same people who brought you Central Park in NYC?
Same genes, anyway. Central Park in NYC was a Frederick Law Olmstead design, the Seattle parks were designed by the Olmstead Brothers, who took over the firm when dad Freddie retired.
But they must have inherited something good, Seattle's Olmstead parks are pretty awesome( and there are more of them than many people realize.)
How this relates to dogs? It does. When Seattle was first starting off leash dog areas about 15 years ago, the "Friends of the Olmstead Parks" were vehemently against having any off leash dog usage in any Olmstead Park.
They felt that the parks were historic, and not intended for off leash dogs. The supporters of off leash areas felt that parks in cities were intended to serve the people who lived there, and that the "friends" of the Olmsteads couldn't really speak for the Olmstead brothers, because off leash dog areas didn't exist at the time the parks were designed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area