Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
@Ira500 - Thank you for the compliment. I love what you said about Seattle people going to Bellevue. I Have literally explored from Sammamish, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Woodenville, Wedgewood, Ravenna Park, University, Greenwood, Queen Anne.... shall I go on? I have explored explored and explored some more. I have been up at least three times a year for the last few years. I think I'm officially an eagle scout now! ~

@Caver Girl - I'll totally look you up! I love new friends.

@Inkpoe - Yes I have been to Kirkland. I like it there... Was just looking for more of the city life. But who knows... I'll be back up in April and will look into Kirkland again. Thanks for the tip!

@homesinseattle - 850K

@Blondebaerde - I think it's a great idea to rent. However, I really want to settle down. I really don't want to move my kiddos around anymore. So I'm trying to not have to go that route.

@Inkpoe- Good info! Thank you!

@Hemlock140 - Ballard is a great area... Just not for me!

@Flyinsaucermom - Wow! Thanks for being open and honest about your husband. Why does your husband hate my gay culture? I find it interesting that he is open about that. Just to let him know... I have no issues with his Mexican culture. I accept everyone! I even accept the intolerant. Maybe we should become friends. He can learn a lot from me and my family. Plus I'm an amazing cook

@sfkane - My kids are 2 year old girl, 4 year old boy, 12 year old boy. I don't want to move them around so I'd like to find "the right spot". Yes I think anywhere we pick will be great. But I kinda feel a little like a battered spouce or head shy. I just don't want to repeat the crazziness I'm going through now.

@amaiunmei - Kirkland sounds like the spot!

@angelenogirl - DUDE!!!! Ira500 it is! lol I'm thinking I'll spend more time in Kirkland. Thanks dude!

So here is our family! Hope you all enjoy the pic! Just so you know... I'm the man on the right!
Cute picture! Thanks for sharing.

Answer: I really don't want the conversation to get off track and focus in on my husband and if my honest answer is offensive, I am sorry.. but it is honest and I think it's important to consider since I don't think he's an isolated example of how someone who wasn't born or raised here might feel toward our generally highly accepted (at least here!) gay populations. There are a lot of internationals here (especially Indians) and I simply don't know if they are as open-minded as Americans are. If you desire to live in a community where you are more than tolerated, but are embraced and completely welcomed, I just think you have to consider if the community's dynamics. Who lives there? How do they feel? How will they make me feel? etc..

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want you guys to find the best place for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 PM

279 posts, read 480,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Cute picture! Thanks for sharing.

Answer: I really don't want the conversation to get off track and focus in on my husband and if my honest answer is offensive, I am sorry.. but it is honest and I think it's important to consider since I don't think he's an isolated example of how someone who wasn't born or raised here might feel toward our generally highly accepted (at least here!) gay populations. There are a lot of internationals here (especially Indians) and I simply don't know if they are as open-minded as Americans are. If you desire to live in a community where you are more than tolerated, but are embraced and completely welcomed, I just think you have to consider if the community's dynamics. Who lives there? How do they feel? How will they make me feel? etc..

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just want you guys to find the best place for your family.

Oh I don't think you are being a jerk. I just don't want to be your neighbor! lol Friends yes! neighbor no! lol I'm glad your being real. Real and Honest go a long way with me. We can all learn from each other

Best,

David

Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
I just don't want to be your neighbor! lol Friends yes! neighbor no! lol d
I don't understand this.. but that's okay. It's not important to the conversation.

Good luck and I hope you find the home of your dreams in the neighborhood of your dreams.

-Sarah

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM

768 posts, read 718,930 times
I remember you seattlefun! I thought you would have been up here by now. I don't know if you're pulling our leg, poking fun at us, have pie in the sky desires or are genuinely planning this move? I say this because, quite frankly, if you don't feel comfortable in Laguna as a gay couple, well... I'm not sure where you will feel comfortable. And then you say you are moving up here without either one of you being employed, yet are considering Mercer Island & Bellevue, neither of which fits well with unemployed, financially speaking. Perhaps you are independently wealthy and just work to be creative?

Having said all that, you seem to be very energetic and a lot of fun!! And your family is adorable!! I can't imagine anyone not welcoming you to any neighborhood you choose. Although, YOU might not be comfortable.

As others have said on here, I'd listen to IRA. When I decide to buy, that's who I'll pursue to help me in my real estate needs. I only know him from these threads, but he seems to have a realistic handle on real estate up here.

I moved here from Seal Beach, California two years ago. I love it! And hope I never have to live in California again. I strongly suggest renting for at least a year. Once you've lived here for a little while, you will be able to cross certain areas off your list as you will know better what doesn't work for you. There are so many areas here that are appealing, it's difficult to decide where to buy. And you won't even know about some areas until you live here. For example, have you heard of Innis Arden? It's a beautiful, lush, upscale area overlooking the Sound. It's south of Edmonds, has good schools (Shoreline), very secluded & some exquisite properties.

Where ever you decide to settle down, Seattle will be all the better for your presence.

P.S. It took me two years to find a hair salon with the knowledge, quality & edginess of LA/Orange County. So your husband will more than likely easily find a job here, if that's what he wants to do.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I strongly suggest renting for at least a year. Once you've lived here for a little while, you will be able to cross certain areas off your list as you will know better what doesn't work for you. There are so many areas here that are appealing, it's difficult to decide where to buy. And you won't even know about some areas until you live here. For example, have you heard of Innis Arden? It's a beautiful, lush, upscale area overlooking the Sound. It's south of Edmonds, has good schools (Shoreline), very secluded & some exquisite properties.
I usually almost always agree with this, except when school-aged kids are involved. It's not fun or easy to move kids around like that. It did happen to us (Michian-Seattle-Issaquah in 9 months) and it was worth it for many reasons, but if it can be avoided, that's the way to go.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I remember you seattlefun! I thought you would have been up here by now. I don't know if you're pulling our leg, poking fun at us, have pie in the sky desires or are genuinely planning this move? I say this because, quite frankly, if you don't feel comfortable in Laguna as a gay couple, well... I'm not sure where you will feel comfortable. And then you say you are moving up here without either one of you being employed, yet are considering Mercer Island & Bellevue, neither of which fits well with unemployed, financially speaking. Perhaps you are independently wealthy and just work to be creative?

Having said all that, you seem to be very energetic and a lot of fun!! And your family is adorable!! I can't imagine anyone not welcoming you to any neighborhood you choose. Although, YOU might not be comfortable.

As others have said on here, I'd listen to IRA. When I decide to buy, that's who I'll pursue to help me in my real estate needs. I only know him from these threads, but he seems to have a realistic handle on real estate up here.

I moved here from Seal Beach, California two years ago. I love it! And hope I never have to live in California again. I strongly suggest renting for at least a year. Once you've lived here for a little while, you will be able to cross certain areas off your list as you will know better what doesn't work for you. There are so many areas here that are appealing, it's difficult to decide where to buy. And you won't even know about some areas until you live here. For example, have you heard of Innis Arden? It's a beautiful, lush, upscale area overlooking the Sound. It's south of Edmonds, has good schools (Shoreline), very secluded & some exquisite properties.

Where ever you decide to settle down, Seattle will be all the better for your presence.

P.S. It took me two years to find a hair salon with the knowledge, quality & edginess of LA/Orange County. So your husband will more than likely easily find a job here, if that's what he wants to do.

NoNansea - We have been working at moving to Seattle for a while. I wish I was pulling your leg and poking fun! Pie in the sky sounds great... But not the case! It would make my life that much easier if it was just a dream. The moving process for us has been painstaking. We have sold the house we live in. We have sold one of our business's. We have one more business to sell and then we shall be on our way. In between this whole fiasco we have been visiting Seattle extensively. In the last year I have come to Seattle 4 times at least. As a matter of fact I was just there this last weekend for 4 nights.

You said that you don't know where we would feel comfortable if we don't feel comfortable as a Laguna Beach resident. For some reason I don't think you have been to Laguna Beach in quite a while. The vibe and general feeling of Laguna has changed quite a bit over the last 10 years. The gays have moved out and the conservatives have moved in. More or less during the down turn of the economy the people of Newport Beach bought up Laguna Beach as it was a step down for them. The gay bars, restaurants and areas have all dried up. There are gays here yes! But they are in the retiring stages of life.

Once we leave Laguna Beach we will be jobless. We have enough money to buy a house as well as live for a few years until we obtain careers. I'm not wealthy... But I have saved for a rainy day and since Seattle tends to rain a bit... I'm spending it there!

You lived in Seal Beach? Great place. I have some friends that just built a house on E. Ocean Blvd. I think Seal Beach is far more liberal than Laguna these days. Where do you live these days? What's your neighborhood?

Once we move I will be posting on CD and inviting everyone over for a get together! If you all have put up with me for this long I should at least pour some drinks and cook ya dinner!

Thanks for your continued support through my life craziness!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 AM

57 posts, read 109,622 times
I don't have any wisdom for you but we're considering a move to Seattle area from AZ for somewhat similar reasons and this thread has been informational and entertaining. Wanted to post so I could easily follow.

Best of luck on your move!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Quote:
I moved here from Seal Beach, California two years ago.
Just a quick note to say that Seal Beach is probably my favorite town in southern California. I adore it!

I think a lot of people don't realize how conservative Orange County is in general. People claim to be socially liberal, but really they're barely tolerant and give the side-eye to non-conformists.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,862 times
Have you looked at Mt. Baker, Madrona, Leschi, Denny Blaine, Madison Park, Montlake, or Capitol Hill (north of retail corridor) - they are all very nice and family friendly. And you would be very comfortable there. FYI, I live a little further south in Seward Park neighborhood. Of the eight houses on our cul-de-sac, three are same sex couples with kids, all exhibiting that gay family lifestyle of mowing their lawns, paying bills, driving kids to soccer and visiting neighbors

Last edited by tobester; 03-06-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Just a quick note to say that Seal Beach is probably my favorite town in southern California. I adore it!

I think a lot of people don't realize how conservative Orange County is in general. People claim to be socially liberal, but really they're barely tolerant and give the side-eye to non-conformists.

FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS...... YOU NAILED IT!!!

Okay Story time:

So my oldest boy who was 10 at the time had three friends come over to go swimming. Two of the parents have met us before and one did not. The one that did not allowed her son to come over because he was going home with one of the other boys. The kids had a great time as usual swimming and jumping in and out of the pool. Typical 10 year old kid fun. As the day was ending the parents came over to pick up the kids. The parent with the boy that has never been to our house walks in and was super nice. We chit chatted getting to know each other. About ten minutes later my man walks through the front door from work and comes outside to say hello. I introduced him. Now I would have thought the lady would have known more about us. But she didn't. You wanna know how I knew this? The look on her face was priceless. I call it the "poo poo face". She gave a look of pure crap. Literally like she stepped in a big pile of poop and couldn't get the smell away. She didn't know what to do. I'm not contagious! I mean there is no way in earth I can spread this faaaaaabulousness by just breathing on you. I promise you wont catch the rainbow. There will be no sparkles in your home. Unicorns won't come knock on your door. NONE of this stuff will happen. Anyhow, literally 10 seconds.... Okay I will give her the benefit of the doubt... Maybe 30 seconds later she grabbed her kid out of the pool and said they had to be going.

Later that evening I get a phone call from one of the other parents. We started talking about the day and then I asked her if she knew what was going on with crazy poo poo faced mom. I told her the story and she laughed. She had said that she is "Very Christian and very conservative and probably didn't know we were a gay couple". She said that she didn't find it necessary to tell her as she didn't find it a big deal. Anyhow.... the story goes on and on and on. But that is the basis of it.

I have countless stories like this. No really I do! Imagine going to a restaurant and having people give you dirty looks. Imagine someone asking you "so how does this type of family work"? Imagine someone asking you if you are going to teach your kids to be gay? are you going to teach them about the birds and the birds? Are you going to let them play sports? Where is his mother? oh it must be mothers day off. So which one of you is the mother? I have more stories than I care to remember... Until you live a day in our lives you cannot possible understand it. This is why I long to be in a place that is more accepting than where we currently live. Yes I realize that everywhere will have it's problems. But hopefully the percentage of problems will go way down living in an areas where there are more like minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area