Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM

51 posts, read 261,816 times

Advertisements

Travel and Leisure has posted the results of their survey of major US cities -

Seattle got high ranks for it's....cityness?...and not surprisingly, we're the #1 city to hang out and drink coffee. We're also ranked as the most intelligent US City. Near the bottom for weather (surprise...), attractive people, style, and singles scene. Seems the rugged outdoorsy naturalist look isn't in right now, give it time!

Interesting to look at the ranks by visitors vs. residents, seems Seattle locals ranked the city far lower than visitors in many categories (...except coffee. Still #1).

America's Favorite Cities 2007 | Seattle | Travel + Leisure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,194,030 times
To be perfectly honest, if I could afford to live in Manhattan thats where I would be. You don't need a car because it has argueably the best mass transit system in the USA. But I would need to send my daughter to private school because the public school's in NYC are the ones every parent fears! That and the fact that 2500 a month gets you about 650sqft.

My second choice is Seattle, and I "will" visit before coming out!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM

178 posts, read 584,817 times
Most of the lists from the Travel and Leisure poll strike me as extremely accurate. The list for 'Ease of Getting Around/Public Transit' for example seems absolutely dead on. I am a little puzzled why Portland Oregon would show up as more "gay-friendly" than New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, etc...cities with much larger gay populations. Not that PDX isn't a gay friendly city of course.

Last edited by argo69; 10-12-2007 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 PM

22 posts, read 124,285 times
Default uh.........are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfseattle View Post
Travel and Leisure has posted the results of their survey of major US cities -

Seattle got high ranks for it's....cityness?...and not surprisingly, we're the #1 city to hang out and drink coffee. We're also ranked as the most intelligent US City. Near the bottom for weather (surprise...), attractive people, style, and singles scene. Seems the rugged outdoorsy naturalist look isn't in right now, give it time!

Interesting to look at the ranks by visitors vs. residents, seems Seattle locals ranked the city far lower than visitors in many categories (...except coffee. Still #1).

America's Favorite Cities 2007 | Seattle | Travel + Leisure
Seattle ranks near the bottom for attractive people, style and the singles scene?........................(gulp)

Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM

223 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Seattle ranks near the bottom for attractive people, style and the singles scene?........................(gulp)
I'm actually always taken aback when I go to Vancouver BC at how beautiful the women are up there compared to here. It's quite amazing.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM

178 posts, read 584,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
I'm actually always taken aback when I go to Vancouver BC at how beautiful the women are up there compared to here. It's quite amazing.
I find Canadians to be generally very good looking (especially French Canadians!) and some of the most attractive movie actors today are originally from up north. This goes for the men too by the way...

Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 PM

22 posts, read 124,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
Glad to hear you say that wythors.............my fiance lives in Shawnigan Lake Vancouver Island, and personally I think she is beautiful. So I would have to agree with you.

But it does pose the question...............would you rather be ugly and smart or good looking and dumb.

personaly I adhere to the ugly and smart ......................................Geeks unite

Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM

69 posts, read 345,509 times
I agree. What's "pretty" anyway - they "have" to airbrush Beyonce and Cindy Crawford, etc etc., what chance does the average non-plastic surgery-actually-average person have anyway. *jk* Besides my Dranei Priest is pretty cute. >> (Geeks Unite)

I have to say, I recently went through Dave's Flickr album of his trip to Seattle, and I was quite blown away by how much it reminded me of a European city. I expected it to be attractive, but it was different then I expected, from the US cities I've been too. More like London/Prague. Yay!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM

131 posts, read 184,276 times
People must be crazy....I have noticed a definite difference in body mass since moving south.I was shocked at how many overweight young adults and children are down here
(It's a shame). I don't see that in Wash. People tend to look more healthy and vital IMO
in the PNW.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM

534 posts, read 3,112,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni View Post
People must be crazy....I have noticed a definite difference in body mass since moving south.I was shocked at how many overweight young adults and children are down here
(It's a shame). I don't see that in Wash. People tend to look more healthy and vital IMO
in the PNW.
Which part of the south are you referring to? I gained 50 lbs in two years after moving here but that might just come from marriage.

I always thought the opposite about Seattle. I hope this doesn't come across as mean but I've never seen so much waist flab hanging out of girls pants anywhere in America. I didn't tend to notice that in Georgia/Carolinas. Maybe that's just the trend these days.

I kind of disagree with the beauty thing (thought Seattle had more (quantity) attractive women than the south), although that probably depends on *where* you live again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: