Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 PM

24 posts, read 53,840 times

Advertisements

OP here. I appreciate all the input. We are coming from a similar COL area now, but my husband's salary is 25k less. Hence, our move. We live in a townhome and after selling, we won't be netting much more than 10 or 15k. I worry about affording a downpayment. We also don't mind a smaller home or condo. We don't have family in the west coast at all, so we don't really need a guest room (we're "one and done" on the child-front).

Regarding renting, though; do you find a large number of families are long-term renters on the Eastside or no? Couples with kids? I'd expect lots of renting in big cities, but not sure about Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,079,180 times
There's a decent amount of renters, but I'd expect most are not for more than 1-3 years. There were probably more while housing prices were falling, but I'd expect most now are either recent re-locators or people that don't have long term plans to stay in the area. A lot of people have moved here recently, but they seem to buy after a year or two.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:31 PM

123 posts, read 245,202 times
Abby,

You will do fine. East side or any other area here. Yes inventory is on the light side, but
you will find something to meet your needs. I actually think we might be in a bit of a
housing bubble again. With your income, you will even find something in your chosen area.
And if you rent for a bit, you may even be in a better situation. The biggest problem is often
the relatively high down payment. I've owned 4 SFH, and it's often a struggle to get the necessary
cash together. But eventually you are able to make it work. Best of luck to your family.

gwix

Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybernstein View Post
OP here. I appreciate all the input. We are coming from a similar COL area now, but my husband's salary is 25k less. Hence, our move. We live in a townhome and after selling, we won't be netting much more than 10 or 15k. I worry about affording a downpayment. We also don't mind a smaller home or condo. We don't have family in the west coast at all, so we don't really need a guest room (we're "one and done" on the child-front).

Regarding renting, though; do you find a large number of families are long-term renters on the Eastside or no? Couples with kids? I'd expect lots of renting in big cities, but not sure about Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond etc.

In that case you're in a much better position than I had first imagined. In my Issaquah neighborhood, we have quite a number of long-term renters. There is a couple that has been renting a townhome on the park for nearly 10 years... I have a number of friends who've been renting for 3-5 years already because they just weren't sure how the cards were going to fall (and indeed, one is moving away and another is building a 2.5mil home at the top of the hill!). Most of these townhome renters have kids.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:06 AM

172 posts, read 297,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbybernstein View Post
Hello OP,

Yes, there are definitely some long-term renters on the Eastside in townhouse developments, and I've met a few with kids even in condos. We were at a nice townhouse development in Redmond (walking dist to Bella Botega, if you continue past it on 160th northward) and in the evenings, kids were out on their bikes and playing in the grass square in the middle - it was also right by Sammamish River Trail, so lots of families doing recreation there. Of course you will also meet a lot of transient families who are only there temporarily, but certainly I met people who are planning to stay put for awhile, mainly because all their kids are in local schools (the school buses pick up and drop off right at the entrance of these developments, and I saw the parents waiting there - great opportunity to meet other families, I thought). Redmond especially has quite a few townhouses/condos especially in the Microsoft vicinity. A house with yard is more rare in the direct vicinity though they do exist of course. However, many of them take their kids to parks, Grasslawns is a great one for all those Redmond condo-dwellers.

SSLifestyler

Last edited by SouthSeasLifestyler; 05-16-2014 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: More information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area