Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:40 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Great biscuits & gravy, but in the interest of full disclosure, they can get really busy and lines at the door so get there early. Best cinnamon rolls around, too. I have transplanted probably 100 young evergreens (volunteers from my yard) at my parents property in Port Angeles and some are now 20' tall in 15 years. Many of my bonsai are evergreens, Mountain and Western Hemlock, Shore Pine, two Ponderosa Pines collected from the Rockies and a Hemlock from the Cascades. I have several 1-gallon Sitka Spruce that I haven't worked on yet, in fact not sure what I'll do with them. In the ground they can get to 15' diameter in 700 years or so. Have you seen the ones near Lake Quinault? I recommend a larch if you can find one. They are deciduous conifers, amazing to see the needles turn yellow and fall off in fall. I have a weeping contorted larch bonsai.
Wow Hemlock!.. you know a lot about...well, hemlocks

I have a sliver of dirt between a stone wall and the driveway.. we're talking 1 ft wide by 10 ft long. It's a western exposure but doesn't get much sun because the next door condo pretty much blocks it until mid-afternoon. I got the idea of using the small evergreens because an identical unit with an identical orientation has three of them and all three look nice and healthy. I really want an evergreen so that I can decorate it for the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I am not familiar with the nurseries in Seattle, so you may not be lucky enough to find one that marks the trees the way I am about to describe. ESPECIALLY with trees, a really decent grower should attach a directional marker on the tree (ie North). The best success you will have with a tree is to plant it the same direction it has been growing. If you ever transplant a native tree, you should always follow this "rule".
interesting!
one less thing for the tree to adapt too..

-------------------------------

Old 05-17-2014, 09:03 PM

458 posts, read 958,464 times
Swansons in The Blue Ridge area of Seattle is my favorite close in...Flower World between Snohomish and Monroe is amazing and I also love Molbaks in Woodinville....

I bought all of our veggie starts at PCC : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area