Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

I'm 28, single, from TN, and currently live in Indianapolis. I work in tech (but have an econ degree) and was unable to find a decent job in my home state after college four years ago. I worked in VA for two years, moved to Iowa for a year, moved back home for a year, then moved to Indy in late March. So far the only redeeming part of this move has been the job itself. Aside from pro sports and additional shopping I didn't have back home, this place is not working out. I'm very active on these boards and in demographic research in general, and Seattle seems like it may be a good fit. A little more about me:

1) I work in tech but am not a software engineer. I am in what is essentially a junior system analyst role at a financial software company and make $55k with bonus in Indy. This affords me a decent, but not extravagant, lifestyle. I have a 2BR/1BA 900 sq ft apartment (clean and taken care of, but not modern) with W/D in unit, water/trash included, for $700/month. I'm certainly not expecting the same around SEA, but is getting a 1BR with a W/D for $1000-$1100 doable in the "not hot" neighborhoods doable? I would be looking for a minimum of $10k more in SEA. I currently pay roughly 4% state income tax, 1% county income tax, 6% sales tax (none on food), and registering for vehicle is around $500 (another 1% tax). I would be looking at shedding 5% tax off my current gross income by moving to WA. Being from TN, I want to relocate to a state with no income tax. I'm against state income taxes on principal.

2) I am from a rough town in TN where crime is at least as high per capita as Indianapolis. Indianapolis has serious issues with violent crime. I'm looking to escape some of this. This garbage didn't go in Iowa and I would be looking to move away from these crime levels.

3) I've heard of the "Seattle freeze," but after living in IA and IN, I doubt you'd find a region less friendly than the Midwest. I've lived in several states of the South and also spent a month in greater Boston and NH/ME. Everywhere I've ever been has been far more friendly than the Midwest.

4) I'm very conservative on foreign policy issues, a moderate conservative on economic issues, and pretty socially liberal (oppose abortion personally, but would keep it legal to not drive it underground and make it more dangerous), believe in gay marriage, ending the drug war, and am what I'd call borderline anti-religious. I'm also intelligent and well-read, and it is very difficult to find a truly "intellectual Right" these days. I don't fit into neat little political boxes and am past the stage of life where I'm trying to blend in like the high school kid pining for attention, but don't want to be stonewalled and ridiculed at every turn. I've lived in mostly "dumb" socially conservative areas, and outside of a few oases, it's really wearing on me as I age.

5) I'm into black metal, death metal, and gothic rock from the 80s/90s. How is this current scene in SEA?

This is all preliminary research, so very specific info is not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,725 times
I'll try and answer each question in order as best as I can..

1 - That will probably be doable as long as you stay out of the most prime neighborhoods, and don't need/want something slick and new/modern. Parts of West Seattle, Beacon Hill, Columbia City, and around Northgate or maybe parts of Greenwood would be areas to look at. Housing costs are continuing to rise in this city though (And who knows what may happen with the mininum wage increase they passed, but that's another topic altogether). You may need to be slightly flexible, but can stay in or close to that range. WA has no state income tax, but a higher sales tax (9.5% total in King County).

2 - If you've been in/seen a true ghetto elsewhere in the US, what's considered "bad" here will probably make you laugh. Violent crime is rather low. Property crime can be higher in the less desirable areas. It's not a perfect utopia by any means, but it's pretty safe here by major city standards - Just use common sense (I.e - Lock your doors, don't walk down a seedy alley at night alone, etc)

3 - You'll get a wide variety of opinions on the Seattle Freeze - The way I see it, some people are friendly, and others not so much, anywhere you go.

4 - Politically, this city is pretty leftist on most issues. That's not to say you won't find others who share your views here, just expect pretty liberal-minded folks (socially and economically) to be the norm.

5 - There's a fairly sizable number of extreme metal bands around the area, although I would say indie rock is bigger/more influential to the local music scene overall

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: