Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I relocated to the Seattle area (we live an hour south of the city) a year ago and haven't really explored the city much, so sadly I'm not that familiar with the various neighborhoods. I need a restaurant recommendation. We have friends visiting from out of town and we have plans to go out Saturday night. I'm looking for good food that has a NW flair. Close to some other bars that we could walk to after dinner. I don't mind paying $30 or so a plate but that's the upper limit. They have already done the Space Needle. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Whenever I have out of town guests, I always steer them to the seafood restaurants. Salty's on Alki has killer views, valet parking, excellent food, and good help. Afterward, you could go to the bars downtown.

Or, if you just want to eat and then walk to a bar, you can try one of the places in the Pike Place market. Most of them are pretty good, just steer clear of the cheap italian joint near the Made in Washington store.

The bar would be Zig Zag cafe. It's my default for a great cocktail bar with bartenders who know what they're doing.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 PM

555 posts, read 803,296 times
Take them to Bellevue. The best restaurants of all kinds are near Bellevue Square.

Seattle restaurants are better known for their rude service, early closing hours with few amenities, and you have to wade through an army of aggressive panhandlers and risk stepping in human feces to get inside.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:05 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
You'll want to take them to something on the water and $30. per is a little limiting. What about something like Ivars on the waterfront by Pier 54 and the Seattle ferris wheel? Argosy Cruises is right there too if you wanted to take a harbor cruise before or after dinner.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:06 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
The last time I was in the city, myself and my husband ate at McCoy’s Firehouse. It's a kind of themed(ish) casual sports bar downtown. The food was exceedingly cheap (I think my spouse got a really decent steak for under $15), the portions were enormous, and the atmosphere was easy-going and welcoming to newcomers. I'd eat there again in a heartbeat, and recommend the place to anyone heading downtown for a bite.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:06 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Ray's boathouse - upstairs. The upstairs is more casual (but still quite nice), and less expensive, but the food is still really good and views are gorgeous. The menu is very NW-centric. The downstairs will set you back quite a bit more, and personally, I think the views are better from upstairs. Getting a seat on their deck on a summer afternoon is quite a treat!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Whenever I have out of town guests, I always steer them to the seafood restaurants. Salty's on Alki has killer views, valet parking, excellent food, and good help. Afterward, you could go to the bars downtown.

Or, if you just want to eat and then walk to a bar, you can try one of the places in the Pike Place market. Most of them are pretty good, just steer clear of the cheap italian joint near the Made in Washington store.

The bar would be Zig Zag cafe. It's my default for a great cocktail bar with bartenders who know what they're doing.
I have to differ with your take on the food at Salty's. (I can't argue with the view) I've ended up there a number of times and always found the food in the"passable-to-kinda-gross" range, especially considering it can get mildly pricey.

If it were me I'd probably go with of the Tom Douglas restaurants downtown, just because in my experience they're consistent, good for a group with different dietary preferences, have a NW focus, and are located downtown.

I don't disagree about the Zig Zag, however. Neat place, great drinks.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Another recommendation would be Rview in the top of the Marriot Renaissance hotel. OMG - The views! You can see all the way from the stadiums in the south to north gate (and everything in between). The food is good, somewhat NW (but has to appeal to wide range of travelers), and it's got great ambiance for sitting and chatting.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
The last time I was in the city, myself and my husband ate at McCoy’s Firehouse. It's a kind of themed(ish) casual sports bar downtown. The food was exceedingly cheap (I think my spouse got a really decent steak for under $15), the portions were enormous, and the atmosphere was easy-going and welcoming to newcomers. I'd eat there again in a heartbeat, and recommend the place to anyone heading downtown for a bite.
As much as I disagree with many of Princess's viewpoints, she has named an undiscovered gem here. Would I take an out of town guest here? Maybe. It's not fancy, or uniquely Seattle. But it is really good. BBQ and burgers mostly.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
We have taken friends to Matts in the Market, The Pink Door (not PNW inspired food but a good time), and Steelhead Diner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area