Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:10 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
As a PhD scientist with multiple degrees in STEM fields, I strongly disagree with 509. The classical "liberal arts" do indeed promote and encourage the full range of critical thinking, more so than STEM education in my opinion, as well as hone the communication skills (writing, speech) necessary to argue one's position cogently. There is an enormous difference between knowledge and discernment, and the liberal arts excel at teaching the latter.
Exactly!

My first two years of college as a pre-med major were spent memorizing formulas, chemical equations and body parts. None of which taught me critical thinking. In fact, the professors plainly told us that that is what we'd have to get used to - we'd learn how to put it all together later.

Compare that to my last two years of college - as a communications major - when we were challenged every day to do things like put together a business plan, or analyze and propose an approach to a corporate crisis. These types of tasks require students to examine information that is not always crystal clear, weigh the potential outcomes, and recommend a course; compare that to most sciences, where there is a definite wrong and right answer. Critical thinking, IMO, is more about the former than the latter.

BTW, one of the hardest classes I took in college was sociological theory. THAT was serious critical thinking - reading really tedious texts and applying different sociological models to successful (or unsuccessful) societies of yesterday and today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area