Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 PM

51 posts, read 95,729 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and now I finally did...I'm now living in Seattle. It's everything I expected. It's surrounded by breathtaking mountains, it's cloudy quite often(but not as often as people say), everyone is decked out in REI, etc etc. I'm very excited to be here, and can't wait to start exploring the hiking trails.

One issue, however. I'm having a bit of trouble finding an apartment. I was originally looking at either Bainbridge Island or Issaquah. Both turned out to be great places, but, as some people have warned me...the isolation factor would be a bit high for a person in his late 20's. I barely ever go out, but I'm afraid of feeling TOO isolated. The commute to downtown Seattle is also a bit daunting.

So, I've decided to go with something closer. I'm looking for a 1BR/studio, under 2k rent. What I see outside my window is VERY, VERY important to me. I would strongly prefer either:
1 - view of the Puget Sound
2 - trees/nature/lake view

Anything industrial or another apartment is highly undesirable. As for the area itself, I'd like to be either somewhere quiet with lots of trees and nature, OR high up in a nice modern apartment building. (I know - it seems like two complete opposites)

After exploring the area a bit, I quickly realized that a lot of the nice views are taken up by single family homes, and a lot of the apartment buildings are located in the not so nice areas. However, I did see that a few high rise apartments in Belltown/Lower Queen Anne seem to have good views of the Sound. Some of them also have a fairly modern interior design, which is a plus.

For reference, I'm staying in West Seattle right now through airbnb, on a hill overlooking the Admiral/Alki region. The area is very beautiful - lots of trees and houses well integrated with nature. Some very cool looking houses. Not too snobby looking(as in, not like Madrona). BEAUTIFUL view of the Sound and Olympic mountains. However...it's a single family home. If I had a family, I'd get a place like this in a heartbeat - but I only need a studio/1br for myself right now. So far only Magnolia has compared in terms of views, but that's also a single family home area(and a rather expensive one at that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 PM

100 posts, read 130,318 times
I grew up in Magnolia, and had a single family home that did have a view of the sound, trees and nature. I didn't live near a lake.
But that doesn't seem to be what you want. There aren't any apartments near where I lived.

I was thinking maybe on the other side of the water because there are some apartments there, but I'm not sure if they fit your budget. I think that's the Shilshole area, but correct me if I'm wrong. I apologize, but I do forget if there are trees, nature and lake views. I do think it's quiet though. I don't think it has views of other apartment buildings, but I could be wrong. The building I went in wasn't modern from what I remember, but I'm not familiar with the other buildings. From what I remember, it's not an industrial area, but it might be near boating communities. I do believe it is a nice area though.

I apologize for my lack of direction sense, but I can't think of anywhere else.

I don't think you should feel too isolated in Bainbridge and Issaquah if you don't go out much, but I can understand not wanting to do the commute, but I suppose it's what you are willing to tolerate.

Belltown/Lower Queen Anne seem like good places for a young person. Correct me if I'm wrong. You could try looking at apartments in West Seattle if you'd like.

I hope this was helpful.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,384,981 times
For views, try the west-side of Queen Anne Hill, up from 15th Ave W. (from 14th to 10th). Depending on where you are, you could have views of Elliott Bay/Smith Cove or Salmon Bay. You'll get some railroad noise, but are far enough away that it it shouldn't be a bother. Otherwise, it is a very peaceful area, but a quick hop to Ballard or Lower Q.A./Downtown on the D-Line. You'd also be close to Myrtle Edwards Park and Discovery Park.

The east-side of Queen Anne Hill has views of Lake Union.

In general, Seattle is full of hills, which means that views are to be found not just along the "bluffs", but from many, many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area