Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 05:33 PM

225 posts, read 383,188 times

Advertisements

My husband recently mentioned he might like to look in The Univ. District for housing for our family. My immediate reaction was "not my first choice". But, with no real data to back up my instinct, I turn to you!

The walkscore web site says it has a lower personal as well as property crime rate compared to the rest of Seattle. True?

The listings that I have seen on Craigslist for that area have been kind of crummy to be blunt. We like hardwood floors, and buildings with character. OR new and modern with a sleek design. I like the walk score, but wonder if it is too young and rowdy and noisy? Do the Univ. professors live in this area? We don't mind bohemian but rowdy drunks are not appealing.

I have been looking in Fremont, Ballard, Green Lake, North Capitol Hill, Upper Queen Anne, and Magnolia. Probably wouldn't mind Columbia City if it is near the light rail.

Please give me some good "real" information about the University District!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
Depends what he means by the "University District". Ravenna and Roosevelt (north of Ravenna Park) can be very nice. Also, the Bryant, Wedgewood, Sand Point neighborhoods. Wallingford/N. Lake Union is just to the west of the U District. You didn't say how old your children are, but Roosevelt High is generally considered to be Seattle's best high school, so it might pay to buy in a neighborhood that feeds into Roosevelt (and not into Ingraham).

Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
UDistrict as in right around the university or further up? As the above post mentioned, just a half a mile or so north of the university has quite a number of children... Bryant Ravenna, View Ridge, etc...

My biggest issue was the property crime. My second biggest issue was the very "urban" feel for raising a family. We were in N. Ravenna for our first 9 months here and it was long enough to realize that we'd all be happier on the Eastside. The schools are good in that area though.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
I would not live in the heart of the University district. But north of it bordering Ravenna/Roosevelt are perfectly fine, as are Montlake, North Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Wedgwood, as well as the more expensive View Ridge and Laurelhurst neighborhoods. The U District is a great place to go to the farmer's market, or to take advantage of the cultural things there( restaurants, theatre,shopping etc). I wouldn't say you'd be in danger of getting mugged, but it would just be a little uncomfortable/young rowdy for me if I lived there. Live a 15 minute walk away and you'll have the best of all worlds. All those neighborhoods mentioned are where professors live( I heard somebody refer to Wedgwood as an "academic ghetto").

Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
It is crime-ridden and full of druggies. I lived in Wallingford (just across I-5) and Roosevelt (north of U district) about a decade ago. There are many wonderful people there but no shortage of bad apples to spoil the barrel. If you want a steady diet of vandalism, car prowls, and maybe a home invasion or two, U district is for you. Otherwise look elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 PM

31 posts, read 47,617 times
I'd also add Green Lake (pricey) and Sandpoint (very pricey) into the mix of nearby family friendly neighborhoods with good schools.

Last edited by seattlelatte; 11-30-2014 at 09:39 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,705 times
The U District environment for families is very street-by-street specific. I live in Ravenna, literally on the border of the U District, and I wouldn't hesitate to live there as long as I was east of 18th Avenue NE and north of NE 50th St. Even there, there are numerous big houses converted to multiple occupancy, some fraternity houses, and student apartments.

For a family with kids, I'd probably look at the edges - Ravenna, Montlake, Wallingford, Green Lake, Eastlake, etc.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 AM

603 posts, read 877,916 times
The U-district is not a place I'd move my family to. It's not a super dangerous ghetto by any stretch of the imagination, but petty theft is pretty common. There are weekly reports of people getting robbed after dark, including at gun point sometimes. The majority of students will go through their UW careers without any problems, but the crime still exists. I know that things clean up well once you hit Ravenna and get near the University Village mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: