Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 8,769 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I live in Minnesota and am turning 21 soon. I have yet to move out of the tiny town I have lived in most of my life and have been staying with family for the last 3 years. However, I HATE it here. My friends are long gone and I want to get out. I'm going to be getting my driver's licence over the summer and really want to move to the Seattle area by the end of the year. I have only had one job in the past - I've been working at this gas station for three years, but I did wash dishes back when I was in middle school for the school.

I want to know what some suggestions are for somebody like me who has never lived by them-self before. I have a little over 10k saved up. I do know somebody out in that area, but I am unwilling to move in with their parents (they are 22 and haven't moved out). I've been looking at various apartment websites, but I am really nervous about finding a decent place to live as well as not really being able to check the place out in person. Do I have enough saved up if I want to move later in the year? Am I pressing my luck with only having one job reference?

The last three years I have been dreaming of moving out there, I've just been terrified to leave what I have always known. To be honest, I can picture myself just picking up and getting out by the end of the week - only problem at the moment would be transportation.

Last edited by FindingMyRoost; 04-21-2015 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:37 AM

8,174 posts, read 8,315,137 times
I remember when I was 21 and came to Seattle. I had $200 and a dream. With $10K, you are in pretty good shape. If you don't have much debt and are flexible about work, this age is the time to dream. 25 years later, I'm still here.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I remember when I was 21 and came to Seattle. I had $200 and a dream. With $10K, you are in pretty good shape. If you don't have much debt and are flexible about work, this age is the time to dream. 25 years later, I'm still here.
I don't really have any debt. Admittedly, I just finished high school. I had some very bad teenage years and my mother wasn't very helpful in the process. I've never had a credit card of any sort, but I have been paying my grandparents (the family who let me live with them) rent for a good portion of the time I have been living here. As for work, I am a fairly fast, hands on learner. My coworkers seem to really like me and since I lack a social life I am always open to filling in when others can't.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 AM

8,174 posts, read 8,315,137 times
Rooms in shared houses are always a great way to get started. Here are today's ads on Craigslist: seattle housing: rooms & shares - craigslist

Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,464,803 times
What plans do you have coming into the area? Furthering your education? This is an expensive area to live if you do not have a formal trade. Also I would look outside the city of Seattle at first to live.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:49 PM

156 posts, read 303,612 times
I think you're on the right track!

What are your interests. If you still like the small town or country feel of MN but just want out of the "same town" feel, then Olympia, North Bend, Snohomish, and Vancouver could work well price wise.

If you have your heart set on Seattle looks towards the south end and for room shares. Make sure that your deposit is refundable and that you keep your place clean and do necessary fixes upon move out and you'll likely get it all back, which can allow you to try a place out for 6 months and then move on if need be.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Rooms in shared houses are always a great way to get started. Here are today's ads on Craigslist: seattle housing: rooms & shares - craigslist
Thank you for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
What plans do you have coming into the area? Furthering your education? This is an expensive area to live if you do not have a formal trade. Also I would look outside the city of Seattle at first to live.
I want to eventually get into law enforcement. Where I live there isn't a lot of opportunities to do so.
To be honest, I really don't want to be in the heart of Seattle - I think it would be too much of a culture shock for me. I just wasn't really sure how to phrase it in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slan490 View Post
I think you're on the right track!

What are your interests. If you still like the small town or country feel of MN but just want out of the "same town" feel, then Olympia, North Bend, Snohomish, and Vancouver could work well price wise.

If you have your heart set on Seattle looks towards the south end and for room shares. Make sure that your deposit is refundable and that you keep your place clean and do necessary fixes upon move out and you'll likely get it all back, which can allow you to try a place out for 6 months and then move on if need be.

Good luck!
I just have a craving for something more than a tiny town with less than 500 people where every last person knows your business. There is nothing in this town. People even make bets on how long until the post office decides to leave. If you want anything you have own a vehicle and drive out of town - which hasn't been an option for me.

Otherwise, I have interest of mainly walking and using the bus to get where I have to go.

Thank you all for the advice!!

Old 04-22-2015, 11:13 PM

176 posts, read 299,567 times
I moved to Seattle when I was 20 and had $100, a moped, and my bed. I moved to go to school here and was able to work remotely from my previous job doing web design/dev. Since school covered rent I eventually found a freelance gig to pay for groceries and other bills. It wasn't easy, but I got by.

My two cents: I would highly, highly recommend making a plan for moving here. Without one, you open yourself up to a lot risks: not finding a job, running out of money, using all of your savings, etc. I've had a lot of friends who moved here from small towns, desperately, and eventually moved back home because they ran out of money. Whether that be applying for jobs, finding roommates, enrolling into CC, create an estimated budget, make a plan. Seattle has a high cost of living, even in the Greater Seattle area, so just finding any job may not be enough. Roommates will be your best option as most places require rental history and possible income requirements. Roommates are also a great entry into the Seattle culture.

You are young. Be smart. Work hard. Have fun. You'll do fine here

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike62pp3 View Post
I moved to Seattle when I was 20 and had $100, a moped, and my bed. I moved to go to school here and was able to work remotely from my previous job doing web design/dev. Since school covered rent I eventually found a freelance gig to pay for groceries and other bills. It wasn't easy, but I got by.

My two cents: I would highly, highly recommend making a plan for moving here. Without one, you open yourself up to a lot risks: not finding a job, running out of money, using all of your savings, etc. I've had a lot of friends who moved here from small towns, desperately, and eventually moved back home because they ran out of money. Whether that be applying for jobs, finding roommates, enrolling into CC, create an estimated budget, make a plan. Seattle has a high cost of living, even in the Greater Seattle area, so just finding any job may not be enough. Roommates will be your best option as most places require rental history and possible income requirements. Roommates are also a great entry into the Seattle culture.

You are young. Be smart. Work hard. Have fun. You'll do fine here
Thank you for the advice! I'm starting to look into a larger area than just Seattle now after seeing the costs. My big plans I guess have been pretty simple: find a place to live, move, find a job or two, live well within my means so I can save up and ensure I'm well on my feet before trying to become a police officer.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:39 PM

8,073 posts, read 8,378,646 times
You're just turning 21 and just graduated high school (GED?). Seattle is the most educated city in the country. Be smart - get yourself into community/junior college next fall and get a skill and AA degree. Learn how to drive, establish credit, and get landlord references.

Without a job, $10,000 will last you less than six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area