Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Federal Way, but spent a significant part of my childhood being in Tacoma. To me, though not perfect Tacoma has alot of upside. Nice wealthy neighborhoods mixed with the lower income culture. Beautiful waterfront, great family attractions, lots of great resturants and bars, growing art scene, lots a recreation, all at a reseanible price. Yes the downtown needs to be more redeveloped, the industries (mills and factories) need to be replaced, the inner core needs some work, and the tacoma dome is an abomination, but the soul of the city and upside is there. To me I think its a great alternative for a young person to get city life yet not break the bank doing it. Also great for the middle class family looking for alittle more bang for their buck. But whenever someone on those forum suggests Tacoma it is met with resounding negativity. As one poster looking to the area put "they made it sound like the worst place on earth".

I love Seattle and Bellevue, but it seems there is hate towards Tacoma for not being as exciting as Seattle or nice as Bellevue.

Do you dislike Tacoma? If so why dont you like it?

This entire area will grow and I think Tacoma and the South Sound are lovely places to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I think a lot of it has to do with the first impression, and most people in this area experience Tacoma only when driving past on I5 while heading south to Oregon or California on a trip. That first impression often includes that infamous smell as you pass over the Puyallup river, from the nearby sewage treatment plant. Some people claim it's been improved but we just went by there a couple of weeks ago and there it was. I have done some work in the downtown area and found some new development, and more activity during the day, and we go to Rainiers games and find the area around the stadium to be pleasant, but not enough that we'd want to live there.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:41 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,672,864 times
I love that many parts of Tacoma have that feel of being close to the water (and they are!). You can buy a view home for cheaper than Seattle. DT Tacoma reminds me of Grand Rapids, MI (their populations are pretty equal too) with the older buildings looking to be of similar age, style and height. That's cool. a little bit of mid-west flair... and it's not just the infrastructure, but also in the people... *very* different sort of folk resides in and around Tacoma. I've sat in Shake Shake Shake and admired the frequent chance meeting between neighbors and associates... that's kinda nice to see, you know... I suppose it's more "working class".. they certainly don't seem to have as long of sticks up their bottoms as many people around here do. It's also a lot more Caucasian. Hmm... I really like the ethnic diversity of the Eastside... and where are the trees? Now THAT is something that gets me each time: where did the trees go?

I love to visit Tacoma and when I'm there my mind likes to wonder about what it would be like to live in the immediate area (I think I would move to Burien first quite honestly), but really, it doesn't go beyond a few hours... as much as I hate the social demographics, where we are now is certainly more fitting for a mutli-lingual, multi-cultural, higher income, high tech family. Looking to commiserate on dealing with the political shenanigans of mid-level and executive corporate players? Yeah, I can turn to pretty much anyone on the street...

But the mid-level corporate player of the family doesn't actually think about any of those point.. not even the last one.. he just thinks about how screwed Tacoma would be if Rainier blew...

Is that even true?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:22 AM

163 posts, read 270,077 times
This is coming from the perspective of about 25 people I know all in their late 20s... Every time someone says Tacoma, everyone says "hell no" "what a dump" "I would never move there" "I don't even set foot in Tacoma" and last but not least "Isn't tacoma one of the most dangerous cities in the US?"

Personally, Ive been to tacoma Dome and that's about it. If someone told me I was banned from Tacoma for life, I'd probably be happy about it.

Hey, you asked

Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,307,797 times
I've had a nice time taking my family down for the day, going to the Chihuly Glass Museum (they have great live glass making), checking out the old town, coffee shops, gorgeous historic neighborhoods of North Tacoma, brunch on Ruston Way waterfront. Its also a blast to catch a Tacoma Rainiers AAA game, very high quality baseball. So, I guess I just think of Tacoma in my mind as another neat place in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,914,495 times
True I haven't spent much time in Tacoma but every time I've gone I think, hey, it's charming!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:12 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,348,695 times
I love Tacoma. Okay, maybe not the entire city, as there are parts of Tacoma that are flat and ugly, but...Tacoma has some gorgeous views, Tacoma has some very cool old buildings and houses. Tacoma has charming neighborhoods. The fact that Seattle thrived economically while Tacoma lagged has actually helped Tacoma: Seattle tore down some beautiful old buildings, in the name of progress, while Tacoma didn't have that urgency, and has the Rialto and the Pantages theatres.
Seattle folks have long made fun of tacoma. Maybe at one time, some of that was deserved. But nowadays, when Seattle is looking increasingly more like Bellevue( shiny, a little soulless), Tacoma's great.
By the way, when Rainier erupts, it's not supposed to bury Tacoma. Puyallup, maybe. Enumclaw? Perhaps. federal Way? We can only hope so.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I love Tacoma. Okay, maybe not the entire city, as there are parts of Tacoma that are flat and ugly, but...Tacoma has some gorgeous views, Tacoma has some very cool old buildings and houses. Tacoma has charming neighborhoods. The fact that Seattle thrived economically while Tacoma lagged has actually helped Tacoma: Seattle tore down some beautiful old buildings, in the name of progress, while Tacoma didn't have that urgency, and has the Rialto and the Pantages theatres.
Seattle folks have long made fun of tacoma. Maybe at one time, some of that was deserved. But nowadays, when Seattle is looking increasingly more like Bellevue( shiny, a little soulless), Tacoma's great.
By the way, when Rainier erupts, it's not supposed to bury Tacoma. Puyallup, maybe. Enumclaw? Perhaps. federal Way? We can only hope so.
Federal Way would be fine as it is not in a valley and far enough away. Auburn and fife? maybe not. Mud slides could effect Federal Way and Tacoma but that should be the furthest of the extent.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
This is coming from the perspective of about 25 people I know all in their late 20s... Every time someone says Tacoma, everyone says "hell no" "what a dump" "I would never move there" "I don't even set foot in Tacoma" and last but not least "Isn't tacoma one of the most dangerous cities in the US?"

Personally, Ive been to tacoma Dome and that's about it. If someone told me I was banned from Tacoma for life, I'd probably be happy about it.

Hey, you asked
The Tacoma dome is not a good representation of the city. That hunk of concrete needs to go but that's a rant for another day. The thing about Tacoma is those who have not been there and explored simply dont understand it.

Plus though it used to be dangerous its fine now. It's actually yuppifying as we speak.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 PM

163 posts, read 270,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The Tacoma dome is not a good representation of the city. That hunk of concrete needs to go but that's a rant for another day. The thing about Tacoma is those who have not been there and explored simply dont understand it.

Plus though it used to be dangerous its fine now. It's actually yuppifying as we speak.
true. I'm merely judging, as are my friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area