Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM

80 posts, read 95,770 times

Advertisements

Oh god. I always say "the 5". Don't hate me please! Everyone here does it including local news and radio stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:09 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Ambitions, we don't. Perhaps this semantic shift can be your new ambition.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:44 PM

318 posts, read 629,044 times
Just as annoying as the spread of 'The Five" idiom when referring to local freeways is the spread of Southern California Valley Girl speech patterns: pronouncing words like Jor-Dan' instead of Jor'-dun and Stu-Dent' instead of Stu'-dunt. To us native Northwesterners it's like fingernails on a chalk board. Aside from that, and the way they've driven up the cost of housing and clogged the freeways, I love Californians.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:27 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I have no problem with people coming from SoCal. But please, please, if you don't want to get attacked by the natives, when you're talking about Interstate 5, or Interstate 90, or Interstate 405, don't call it " The 5."
Not that you have anything to be ashamed of, but I sense in Seattle that more and more people are calling it " The 5", and that's all I see as the negative influence of Southern Californians. Outside of that, they're lovely people. Welcome. Now say it: " Eye Five."
NEVER!

I'll gladly take the 5 to come buy you a lovely beer in Renton. Then I bet you wouldn't be so mad at me!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
NEVER!

I'll gladly take the 5 to come buy you a lovely beer in Renton. Then I bet you wouldn't be so mad at me!
I'll never be mad at you, angelenogirl. And I'd gladly have a beer with you in lovely Renton.
You ever listen to someone from Socal give directions? " Like, take the 5 to the 405, then, like, get on the 110?."
And you've got clemency, or a special exemption, or something. You have my permission to say " The 5."
I just don't like it becoming acceptable and used by local Seattle broadcast media. It's the same way that words that aren't really words get accepted and used, like "incentivize". "They need to incentivize drivers to take mass transit, and not, like, add to the traffic on the 405."

Old 04-22-2015, 04:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
Oh god. I always say "the 5". Don't hate me please! Everyone here does it including local news and radio stations.
I know. Start practicing. Eye Five. Or just plain Five. " Where am I from, and how did I get here?" "I'm from southern California, and I drove up Eye Five."

Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I remember the Craigslist movie where they say "the 95" supposedly in Boston. It was obviously being filmed in SoCal.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'll never be mad at you, angelenogirl. And I'd gladly have a beer with you in lovely Renton.
You ever listen to someone from Socal give directions? " Like, take the 5 to the 405, then, like, get on the 110?."
And you've got clemency, or a special exemption, or something. You have my permission to say " The 5."
I just don't like it becoming acceptable and used by local Seattle broadcast media. It's the same way that words that aren't really words get accepted and used, like "incentivize". "They need to incentivize drivers to take mass transit, and not, like, add to the traffic on the 405."
But traffic on the 405 is totally cray, obvs.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 PM

80 posts, read 95,770 times
Haha you guys are cracking me up! When I went to school in the Midwest, and said "the" when referring to freeways, I always got sideways looks. Eventually they asked me why and realized it was a CA thing.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:31 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
hi! socal native here, snooping around seattle forum, coming in being nosy.

at first i am reading this thread thinking what's the big deal that we say "the 5" or "the 405" or "the 22"? then i thought i don't like when people call orange county "the OC". ugh! don't call it that!!!

maybe it became a way to call the freeways by "the" whatever went something like this

bob: i'm taking the freeway instead of surface streets

friend: what freeway are you taking?

bob: the 5 freeway

friend: (didn't hear bob) which one?

bob: the 5

haha! i don't know. it's funny that it's a regional thing. it is just so normal for me to refer to freeways and interstates as "the". if i ever come to seattle i promise to be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area