Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:36 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I just love when someone tells a young mother with a sick child and a 90-degree indoor temp to "suck it up." Good for you and and your historic basement. Not everyone has such a thing. Original moldings and Craftsman charm can't keep you cool, sorry.

Really, bless your heart.
So true- we heard these kinds of arguments a few years ago when we were moving out here, and before our first summer here when we had central air installed. We are from the Midwest where every home has air conditioning- and so it's just accepted that you set a temperature you are comfortable with indoors and leave it, without ever having to be uncomfortable. So for us, especially with our baby, it seems so bad to consider just dealing with being so hot/uncomfortable in our own home. It doesn't help that we are hot blooded and are miserable above about 71 or 72 degrees.

Central air is well worth the expense for those who are considering it. Every room, even our bathroom is comfortable. And as you noted, it barely affects our electric bill at all due to the newer units being so incredibly energy efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:04 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Well, the original poster was talking about a rental. If tenants were willing to pay a premium for air conditioning, landlords would put it in. Some do, but pretty much only in expensive units. Otherwise, it's up to you to do whatever you're willing to do to deal with it. Crying about it won't change a thing.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Exhaust fans , blackout curtains and Portable AC units work wonders in almost all buildings.. I have cooled some of the most notoriously hot places you can think of with this setup..

However, never rent or buy a place with giant bay windows that are facing the afternoon sun in the Northwest, if it doesn't have a good central AC system. You will regret it seriously, if you do. As nice of a view as those giant bay windows will provide, you will pay for it dearly in your greenhouse during the Summer, without an adequate AC system. I have rented a few of these places and most have AC in them, although some still don't.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
i may have a short memory but this is my 3rd summer here and every summer it has been like this until the end of September.

i think in 2012, it was like this until the end of october.

last year i think it was like this until the end of september.

this year, i don't know but it's way too hot here...and it's been hot like this at my house for at least the past month so we're saying since early may.

RVD.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
i may have a short memory but this is my 3rd summer here and every summer it has been like this until the end of September.

i think in 2012, it was like this until the end of october.

last year i think it was like this until the end of september.

this year, i don't know but it's way too hot here...and it's been hot like this at my house for at least the past month so we're saying since early may.

RVD.
Last July and August we were in the 90s for weeks.. What is everyone kvetching about?? I'm enjoying the tan I am getting right now..

I remember back about 7 years ago, it hit 106F in Portland right after a week of rain.. It was very hot and humid.. Portland will roast in the summer, Seattle will just burn.. PLaces like Puyallup situated in a valley, can be one of the hottest parts of the Puget Sound as you approach the base of the mountains and the heat gets trapped in.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,008 times
I feel as if I'm living in a different Northwest from many people on this thread. I'm originally from Northern California, where summers are warmer than here. None of my family had AC there, and I only know a few people who have it here (and they are rich and have everything as a matter of course anyway).

When summer comes, it's warm because that's what summertime means. It's not something to run away from. We have three ceiling fans in our house and one oscillating fan with a face about 18" to keep us cooler. We don't expect our house to be 70 degrees in summer. We like to keep the windows open and hear the birds and feel a breeze cross-ventilating the house. Doesn't AC make you feel cut off from your environment?

Growing up in a really big family, our babies, toddlers, and schoolkids just rolled with the summertime heat in Northern CA and I have no memories of discomfort at all. My kids and I live the same way now, although we do prefer cooler weather. It's just bizarre to me to be so fearful of the fairly moderate summer temps we have here in the PNW. Now, Tucson, when I've visited family in the summertime, has heat that is truly infernal and inhuman. "How do you people live like this?" I cried. They don't go out in the infernal heat and everyone cools their home. But here? I don't get it.

Last edited by josie13; 06-09-2015 at 12:14 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 12:14 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I feel as if I'm living in a different Northwest from many people on this thread. I'm originally from Northern California, where summers are warmer than here. None of my family had AC there, and I only know a few people who have it here (and they are rich and have everything as a matter of course anyway).

When summer comes, it's warm because that's what summertime means. It's not something to run away from. We have three ceiling fans in our house and one oscillating fan with a face about 18" to keep us cooler. We don't expect our house to be 70 degrees in summer. We like to keep the windows open and hear the birds and feel a breeze cross-ventilating the house. Doesn't AC make you feel cut off from your environment?

Growing up in a really big family, our babies, toddlers, and schoolkids just rolled with the summertime heat in Northern CA and I have no memories of discomfort at all. My kids and I live the same wat now, although we do prefer cooler weather. It's just bizarre to me to be so fearful of the fairly moderate summer temps we have here in the PNW. Now, Tucson, when I've visited family in the summertime, has heat that is truly infernal and inhuman. "How do you people live like this?" I cried. They don't go out in the infernal heat and everyone cools their home. But here? I don't get it.
I grew up in Northern California, and summers were cool, mostly in the 70's. Now and then there would be a few days in the low 80's, but the fog would come in the evening and cool everything off so people could sleep. So I don't know which part of NorCal you lived in, but the north Coast is always cool, with the possible exception of areas on the peninsula south of SF.

Seattle, on the other hand, was always much warmer, especially from mid-July through August. Cutting oneself off from the environment via AC in the house is exactly the point, when the house temp gets into the 80's, or even the high 70's. But to each his/her own. If you can enjoy it, then more power to you! However, as the planet heats up and weather patterns change, and Seattle sets new high temp records for itself, you can't blame people for wanting to stay cool, and to keep their kids cool.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post

Growing up in a really big family, our babies, toddlers, and schoolkids just rolled with the summertime heat in Northern CA and I have no memories of discomfort at all. My kids and I live the same way now, although we do prefer cooler weather. It's just bizarre to me to be so fearful of the fairly moderate summer temps we have here in the PNW. Now, Tucson, when I've visited family in the summertime, has heat that is truly infernal and inhuman. "How do you people live like this?" I cried. They don't go out in the infernal heat and everyone cools their home. But here? I don't get it.
Yep, you're living in a different world. Er, Northwest. I realize forest animals may not talk to me with A/C going, but when it's 90+ inside my home and I'm trying to cool down an infant, I consider it a fair trade. Your level of discomfort is different. I bet we also like different foods.

And being uncomfortable with high temps isn't the same as cowering in fear. When it gets extremely hot extremely early in an area that isn't known for such weather, it's weird. It's OK to acknowledge that it's weird. March is not summer. And I don't know what California has to do with Seattle, though your childhood tale sounds charming. I, too, grew up in California and everyone had central air, even if you weren't rich!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
^^^I also grew up in CA, & spent over half of my life in San Diego & people said that a/c wasn't necessary there...wrong!!

Seriously, Portland hit 106?? OMG

Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Last July and August we were in the 90s for weeks.. What is everyone kvetching about?? I'm enjoying the tan I am getting right now..

I remember back about 7 years ago, it hit 106F in Portland right after a week of rain.. It was very hot and humid.. Portland will roast in the summer, Seattle will just burn.. PLaces like Puyallup situated in a valley, can be one of the hottest parts of the Puget Sound as you approach the base of the mountains and the heat gets trapped in.
Seattle has never had "weeks" of 90 degree temperatures. We might have hit 90 or better several times but, not for weeks at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area