Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:26 AM

372 posts, read 398,886 times

Advertisements

So I finally decided to make an account here because I didn't think any of the existing threads really gave me the information I was after. I've been living in New York for the last couple years and I'm sick of the high rents and low paying jobs, so I'm taking the plunge and moving to Seattle like I probably should have in the first place for a career change. (I've had it in my sights for awhile now.)

But anyway, all I ever seem to hear about is people complaining about how expensive it is to live in Seattle. How bad is it? Do landlords have obscene income to rent ratios? Do they want a first, last, security and a broker's fee?

I've been spending the last few months doing my due diligence and I just don't see it. I mean sure, $1,000 is a bit high for a 1 bedroom apartment but after living in New York where you can't get a 1 bedroom without at least $6000 down and a six figure salary, how bad could it be?

More importantly, is this JUST the Seattle area that people are talking about? Or does it extend to the surrounding areas like Tacoma, Kent or Puyallup? Would it be unreasonable to, say, commute from Seattle to Tacoma via the Sounder? I'm probably just rambling at this point but I'm really curious to find out more details about why people complain about the COL in Seattle so much. Or has living in New York just completely skewed my perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,681,637 times
The issue I have seen is that it's ever increasingly difficult to find "affordable" housing. When I first moved here I found a house in NE Seattle (desirable for families) for $1850... a house! Three years later, when the market recovered, that same house as going for $3500. WT-???

First, last and security was required back then and it's all the more expected now.

But, yes, to get to "more importantly" there IS affordability the further out you go. The issue with that, of course, is transportation into your DT Seattle job, if you have one.

I don't doubt that coming from NYC you'll find our COL more digestible than much of the country.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
For people coming from NYC or the San Francisco Bay Area, the cost of living here is a refreshing treat. For those coming from other states, or from outlying areas here in WA it's often a shock. Unless you are in a high demand tech job, those graduating from colleges here with a lot of student loan debt are having a struggle to manage on entry level pay. The farther you get from Seattle the lower the rent, but then from Tacoma, Kent or Puyallup there is a long commute, and not the same amenities for young adults. For older people the quality of schools become an issue, and the eastside suburbs with great schools, decent commutes and low crime pretty much do require a 6 figure income.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
But, yes, to get to "more importantly" there IS affordability the further out you go. The issue with that, of course, is transportation into your DT Seattle job, if you have one.
I haven't driven a car in something like 15 years, so right now I'm looking at using public transit to get by for awhile. I don't expect it to be quite up to NYC standards (lol) but it looks like it isn't too bad in Seattle.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
For people coming from NYC or the San Francisco Bay Area, the cost of living here is a refreshing treat. For those coming from other states, or from outlying areas here in WA it's often a shock. Unless you are in a high demand tech job, those graduating from colleges here with a lot of student loan debt are having a struggle to manage on entry level pay. The farther you get from Seattle the lower the rent, but then from Tacoma, Kent or Puyallup there is a long commute, and not the same amenities for young adults. For older people the quality of schools become an issue, and the eastside suburbs with great schools, decent commutes and low crime pretty much do require a 6 figure income.
I'm planning a career transition into accounting, but I'm not too fussy about which industry I get into to get by until I can earn the certification I need to make the switch. I'm only making about $25k right now which would go a lot further in Washington.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Kent, is very expensive too, until you get 25 miles or more out, at least North and South direction, there really isn't a big difference, again big, in housing and rent prices. You are right about Tacoma, but, sadly, that is one nightmarish commute to Seattle and the Eastside

Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,335,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
I'm planning a career transition into accounting, but I'm not too fussy about which industry I get into to get by until I can earn the certification I need to make the switch. I'm only making about $25k right now which would go a lot further in Washington.
You'll definitely be poor on that kinda income, but the good news is that Washington state is a great place to be poor. You can get on food stamps as soon as you arrive, and might qualify for the plethora of other public assistance programs from both government and private agencies. Washington state covers full health care for low income people as well.

If you look hard enough on Craigslist, you can find a house of 5 or 6 roommates who have a room for less than $500/mo. I've seen it before. Public transit is indeed not great, but you can survive there without a car.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
You'll definitely be poor on that kinda income, but the good news is that Washington state is a great place to be poor. You can get on food stamps as soon as you arrive, and might qualify for the plethora of other public assistance programs from both government and private agencies. Washington state covers full health care for low income people as well.

If you look hard enough on Craigslist, you can find a house of 5 or 6 roommates who have a room for less than $500/mo. I've seen it before. Public transit is indeed not great, but you can survive there without a car.

I don't expect to be taking out any public assistance since there's plenty of jobs I'm qualified for that pay a fair bit more than I'm earning now. I've seen plenty of rooms for around $600-700 a month, which would be viable though.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:08 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,712 times
Quote:
But anyway, all I ever seem to hear about is people complaining about how expensive it is to live in Seattle. How bad is it? Do landlords have obscene income to rent ratios? Do they want a first, last, security and a broker's fee?
In my experience, first, last, and a damage deposit is pretty standard here. I haven't encountered income requirements much, but we tend to rent in pretty modest places.

Quote:
I've been spending the last few months doing my due diligence and I just don't see it. I mean sure, $1,000 is a bit high for a 1 bedroom apartment but after living in New York where you can't get a 1 bedroom without at least $6000 down and a six figure salary, how bad could it be?
You don't see it because you live in NYC. Like so many things; it's relative. Seattle is much cheaper than San Francisco or New York, but for someone coming from- I don't know, St Louis or Boise, it's expensive.

I don't think it's that useful to approach things as simply "x place has a high COL and y place has a low COL". It make much more sense to make a comparison between what rents (and other expenses) are where you are now and what you make currently versus rents (and other expenses) in the place you're evaluating and the salary you expect or hope to make.

Quote:

More importantly, is this JUST the Seattle area that people are talking about? Or does it extend to the surrounding areas like Tacoma, Kent or Puyallup? Would it be unreasonable to, say, commute from Seattle to Tacoma via the Sounder? I'm probably just rambling at this point but I'm really curious to find out more details about why people complain about the COL in Seattle so much. Or has living in New York just completely skewed my perspective?
Yes, rents absolutely go down significantly as you get further out. The problem is that compared to many larger cities, Seattle's transit is underdeveloped and rather hit-or-miss. Also, there just isn't much to do in some of the more distant areas.

The short answer is, yes, living in New York has completely skewed your perspective.

I like living in Seattle and think it has much to offer, but, having spent some weeks in New York- in terms of events, food, transit, culture, whatever, really, we are not in that class of city. The other side of that is how relatively affordable it is here.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I like living in Seattle and think it has much to offer, but, having spent some weeks in New York- in terms of events, food, transit, culture, whatever, really, we are not in that class of city. The other side of that is how relatively affordable it is here.
I don't have enough money left over to do anything I enjoy at the end of the month anyway, so it seems like it would pretty much be an improvement overall. I originally grew up in Oregon though, so I expect I wouldn't have much trouble adapting once I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area