Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Irrational Reasons to Move to Seattle (Multiple Choices)?
Get a tech job (you and everyone else) 8 42.11%
Join a band (Grunge lives!) 3 15.79%
Start a startup (if you can afford to rent a garage) 1 5.26%
Become a Microsoft or Amazon millionaire (those were the days) 4 21.05%
Go to UW (if you can get in) 1 5.26%
Hang out and drink espresso all day (or stay home alone and slurp Chock Full o'Nuts) 6 31.58%
Come out of the closet (if you can afford to rent an place with a closet) 2 10.53%
Ride our wonderful transit (if you can get a seat) 2 10.53%
Watch the city being turned upside down by developers 1 5.26%
Fight climate change (while commuting two hours a day) 3 15.79%
Be ruled by wheat farmers in Olympia 2 10.53%
Live in a Pod (open a window if you want to stretch your arms) 3 15.79%
Climb a mountain (really) 3 15.79%
Eat a Geoduck (when you don't know how to pronounce it or what it is) 1 5.26%
Walk in the wilderness (if you can get to it) 1 5.26%
Live in a houseboat (uh, yeah) 1 5.26%
Be a hipster (see "Live in a Pod") 5 26.32%
Make Friends ("Chilly, isn't it?") 3 15.79%
Be fashion-forward (not fashion-backward) 1 5.26%
Move out of your parents' basement 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:18 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times

Advertisements

I've been a reader during my youth in Miami, university in Vermont, time in LA and my 26 years in Seattle. I'm not anti-social, introverted or shackled to my home during winter. I just like to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I've thought about moving to Seattle because I love rain, gray skies, cool temps. And because I've heard that Seattle is full of literate, cultured people.

But Seattle-haters tell me the only reason so many people in Seattle read is because they're anti-social introverts, and because it's so cold, wet, and dark outside.
Going back to the 1960s-1970s, Seattle had an in-door "hang-out" scene, starting in the U District, with coffee houses (the Pamir House, Eigerwand, Queequeg, and Edge along the Ave, and the Llahngaelhyn across University Bridge, where Repunzel's was later located, and later the Last Exit and the Allegro) and bars (Blue Moon, Century, Red Robin, and Eastlake Zoo along the periphery). The coffee houses, except for the Eiger, featured folk music, jug bands, and jazz (Llahngaelhyn). There were also several used bookstores dotting the Ave or just off it, including the Id (later the Magus).

With the expansion of UW, going from 19,000 to 36,000 students in a shortwhile, the "scene" was largely pushed south to Capitol Hill, where cafes (Andy's Cafe, Ernie Steele's, and Bloch's) and bars/lounges (The Deluxe, Elite, Comet, Gaslight, Jade Pagoda, Broadway, 206, Belmont, etc.) were where denizens gathered. While the Ave had been more of a music and writing scene, the Hill was more of an art scene, with the original SAM, two art schools (Cornish and Burnley, which later became the Seattle Art Institute), and theatre and dance companies. There were also used bookstores (The Different Drummer on Broadway and Horizon Bookstore on 15th).

There was also a film scene, with foreign "art house" films shown at the Varsity on the Ave and the Ridgemont on Phinney Ridge. I practically lived at the Ridgemont, where I was to introduced to the films of Bergman, Fellini, Antonioni, Pasolini, Godard, Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Truffaut, Chabrol, Rohmer, Polanski, etc.

In many ways, the "scene" was fueled by abundant cheap housing (I rented a one-bedroom apartment for $75 on Capitol Hill in the early- to mid-70s, for instance), largely due to the Baby Boomers just starting to come of age, following the "Baby Bust" of the WWII years, with the Boeing Bust of the early 1970s doing its part in keeping rents low. Today, of course, the situation is exactly reversed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area