Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 11:54 AM

48 posts, read 72,304 times

Advertisements

Hello future neighbors. Let me tell you about my family so you can give you advise on which specific area we may in fit best.

I will be working in Smokey point, my wife, probably in the city. I don’t mind driving, especially a reverse commute drive. her, not so much.

We have two boys, one in High school, one in 6th grade. School is extremely important to all of us. Looking for a good AP program. (he doesn’t like IB).

We are in our late 40s. Moving from north Scottsdale, Az. My wife is a strange but wonderful mix of up scale and artsy. She loved the Third Place book store in Lake forest park. Likes yoga, spas, theater, independent cafes, bistros, and boutiques. Likes to go for long walks with our dogs.

We also like the trees (these are new to us). Would love to live on a hill, in a forest.

As for the house, looking for 4 bedroom (both grandmothers have time requests already), 2500-3500sf, with some backyard in the 700's that is different. (I don’t want to offend anyone because everyone has different tastes, but we don’t like everyone on the block to have the same house).

We have been told by a realtor that Lake Forest Park, or Kenmore would be good for us. Others said shoreline or Bothell. We were first directed to mill creek ,but again not to offend, the houses were too similar and on top of each other.

Any other question or suggestions, please fell free to write.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Love how you describe your wife, I have one of those too. Lake Forest Park might work. Have you considered Edmonds? It might be the best combo of what you seek.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:29 PM

I did originally but a realtor talk me out of it because the cross commute to the I-5 is supposed to be bad. I don't know much about the area.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:34 PM

Lake Forest Park is nice with good value for money, just know you aren't going to find much "walk to the yoga studio" feeling there. For your price range though, you can get a neat home with some privacy or woods around you, maybe even a view.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Lake Forest Park is nice with good value for money, just know you aren't going to find much "walk to the yoga studio" feeling there. For your price range though, you can get a neat home with some privacy or woods around you, maybe even a view.
Thanks, I don't need to be able to walk everywhere. Just to be able to safely walk in the area and have places we want to go to within a 10-15 minute drive.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:31 AM

Shoreline might be another possibility. It is relatively close to I-5 and Seattle, lots are a bit bigger, there are some neat mid-century homes, the schools are excellent.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyyno View Post
I did originally but a realtor talk me out of it because the cross commute to the I-5 is supposed to be bad. I don't know much about the area.
Baloney. Devil < > details, but there are plenty of decent ways to get to I-5 n/b or downtown Seattle relatively easily, certainly as easily as it would take you to get to Smokey Point from places like Bothell or Kenmore.

Smokey Point is quite a schlep from southern Snohomish or northern King County; things can get quite trafficky in Everett, particularly on the Everett - Marysville stretch which can be surprisingly awful at times. If your wife's work situation is at all flexible, I'd also have a look at Everett. Everett's schools are pretty good for the most part, and your housing dollar will really go far compared to Edmonds or closer-in to Seattle. Everett schools are instituting a new "capstone" AP program that apparently is the next big thing. Might be worth a look.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM

Yes, I know opinions vary, especially with the subjective issues I am asking about. That is why I have not really ruled out any area, and am appreciating all input. I am noticing there does not see to be a consensus. I think in the Phoenix area, the north scottsdale area would come to the forefront (or Paradise valley if you have the money).

I am resigned to a 45-60 minute commute, because as I am less frustrated by a drive than my wife. and she is very affected by her surroundings. We stayed in Everett during my interviews, it seemed to have a very small town, almost rural feel to it. (of course I may have not gone to the right places). That being said, I will look into the "capstone" program. thanks for the tip.

I seem to be stuck in this limbo place where there are many very good places, but no great places with everything we want.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyyno View Post
I am resigned to a 45-60 minute commute, because as I am less frustrated by a drive than my wife. and she is very affected by her surroundings. We stayed in Everett during my interviews, it seemed to have a very small town, almost rural feel to it. (of course I may have not gone to the right places). That being said, I will look into the "capstone" program. thanks for the tip.

I seem to be stuck in this limbo place where there are many very good places, but no great places with everything we want.
I sympathize; it's more than miles on maps; you really need to look at the intangibles and even then, you're not going to "know" a place for some time after moving there.

Everett tends to be overlooked, due largely to its reputation as something of a working-class smokestack town (due to a now-gone waterfront paper mill.) But it's having quite a renaissance in terms of livability - arts, schools, a booming Boeing and a more stable economy... and has some terrific historic neighborhoods with excellent property options.

But given your willingness to be a car person, I actually think Bothell is worth a long look. Of all the "north shore" areas, Bothell is definitely on the upswing. It has a nice if small historic downtown area, and recent developments, most notably the marvelous McMenamin Brothers' conversion of the historic Anderson School to one of their funky destination "resorts," adds even more artistic and quirky content to the town. You're reasonably close to freeway access northbound, and good public transit options to downtown Seattle. You could certainly do worse.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Everett is a neat place, often overlooked. It isn't perfect but it has lots of character. Some of the coveted neighborhoods are Rucker Hill, Historic North Everett and anything near Mukilteo Blvd. You will get a nice place for your money, probably with a great view of Puget Sound. Bonus, there is commuter rail to downtown Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area