Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:46 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Apparently I should just let him use what isn't his and I intend to use instead since I paid for it. As soon as I asked him not to park on my property he started with the threats. The other neighbor was walking their dog in my yard and storing several cords of firewood in my driveway. They agreed to move it and not to walk their dog here anymore. But apparently as the guy above posted, if I'm having problems with "everyone" who encroaches on my land then it's me that's the problem.
Any reason you can't build a fence? They cost money, but they add value to the property.

A nice fence -- stone, brick, or ornate iron grill, with faux gaslight tops.

You might also install a security camera system. Then record trespassers and sue them in small claims court.

You'll win, though you won't be popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 05:09 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
You really need to see a property lawyer and read up on adverse possession meanwhile. Giving the guy permission to use the driveway actually reinforces the notion that YOU own it, from everything I found.

A former neighbor that I suspected was trying to provoke a similar war (and who was occupying or using parts of our property on at least three sides) told me that he had gotten permission to use it from a previous owner. So I told him he could still use part of it, and bided my time. As time went on, I made it more and more uncomfortable for him to use it. He was actually hurting his own chances of selling his house, so it was just a matter of waiting long enough for him to figure that out.

See a lawyer, soon.

WA laws make it way too easy for greedy people to steal what, by title, belongs to someone else.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 PM

486 posts, read 842,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
I don't recall the OP ever saying they had problems with everyone, but that there was a noticeable increase of "jerks" in the area.

I have to say, I have to agree. The other day I was about to get out of my car, and a lady attempted to pull into the parking spot next to me. So I smiled and gestured for her to go ahead while I waited, she gave me the NASTIEST look.

Was just trying to be nice and in her head I had done something wrong. Talk about childish. These sorts of incidents have been increasing.

There seems to be a lot of bottled up anger which I think stems from the poor social skills of the folks moving here.
Do a quick search of his posts and you will see he has problems everywhere. He complains about kids being kids and playing basketball in the street! Really?

Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Do a quick search of his posts and you will see he has problems everywhere. He complains about kids being kids and playing basketball in the street! Really?

Oh, bad memories. When we lived in Burlington in Skagit County and I commuted to Boeing-Everett there were these kids on our street that would play basketball in the street. It was a culdesac and they would block the road. I couldn't get by them and they didn't care! I would sit there and eventually honk the horn. They acted like I was the neighborhood monster 'cause I wanted ta get by them.

Come on! How totally self-absorbed and obnoxious. I went to talk to their parents and, of course, nobody home. Terrible experience. I called the Burlington police. "Sir, we can't do anything about that. That's a something or other matter, " or some such nonsense. Couldn't believe the selfishness. That would've been between 1997 and 2003.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
I lived in Seattle very briefly back in the early 2000's. Seattle was nice and most of the people there were friendly. Just like any place though there were a few jerks.

The most vivid one I came across was actually a well dressed yuppy/businessman in downtown. I was at a light on a very slanted/uphill street. In order to keep my car from rolling backwards and just to stay still, I had to press on the brakes very hard.

Since the light was taking a long time and I was getting tired (and also scared that I might not be able to hold down the brakes much longer) I decided to give the car a little gas and move forward onto the crosswalk, which was level.

Since it wasn't a busy intersection, I figured it wasn't a big deal but along came the aforementioned guy looking at me angrily and began pounding on my car, as if to tell me that I shouldn't be in the crosswalk. I didn't know people was that sensitive about the crosswalk. Here where I live now, cars are stuck in the crosswalk regularly and people just walk around it. Nobody even wastes their time getting upset, much less get confrontational because of it.

Also, people here are constantly honking at each other all the time and nobody gets worked up over it.

I think (and it's my opinion) that Seattle used to be a very mellow and easy going place but tremendous growth in the last several decades has made some people there that are not used to it become more rude and angry.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Deleted by author

Old 04-09-2016, 01:08 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I think (and it's my opinion) that Seattle used to be a very mellow and easy going place but tremendous growth in the last several decades has made some people there that are not used to it become more rude and angry.

antinimby - you are dead on. Seattle has been said to have had some characters rough around the edges including a corrupt Police Chief (at least one) and some covert activities went on there for years. It also has all of the big city problems like homelessness, crime, corruption, and so on. Fights breaking out all around bars downtown. One Seattle Seahawk was outside a bar and got hit over the head with a sign, I believe it was. He lived ta tell about it.

Cities are cities - but your point is valid - Seattle is growing and, if nothing else, increasing traffic is causing a lot of rude behavior to erupt. Those dorky kids in Burlington, though, my story, I could not believe what jerks they were.

Hello - the house we own is at the end of the culdesac - I only want to drive my car there and park it in my own driveway. Not on the city street, which you monsters are blocking. Still can't believe it to this day. It was between 1997 and 2003 in the small, quiet town of Burlington. They acted like I wasn't even there. Revving up the engine did nothing, either.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:34 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The most vivid one I came across was actually a well dressed yuppy/businessman in downtown. I was at a light on a very slanted/uphill street. In order to keep my car from rolling backwards and just to stay still, I had to press on the brakes very hard.

Since the light was taking a long time and I was getting tired (and also scared that I might not be able to hold down the brakes much longer) I decided to give the car a little gas and move forward onto the crosswalk, which was level.

Since it wasn't a busy intersection, I figured it wasn't a big deal but along came the aforementioned guy looking at me angrily and began pounding on my car, as if to tell me that I shouldn't be in the crosswalk. I didn't know people was that sensitive about the crosswalk. Here where I live now, cars are stuck in the crosswalk regularly and people just walk around it. Nobody even wastes their time getting upset, much less get confrontational because of it.
https://youtu.be/4-B4IdVDHvY

You did have another choice - setting the emergency break.

While I don't condone anyone pounding on a car blocking a crosswalk, as a pedestrian I can say that being forced to either walk between two running cars (if not bumper to bumper) or in a traffic, bus, or bike lane to cross the street can be pretty frustrating. Jerks seem to have a strong predisposition for believing that it is always someone else who is being the jerk.

Not blocking an intersection or crosswalk should be simple etiquette. When that fails, laws need to be passed to enforce what should be civilized norms - if caught here, it'll net you a moving violation (which can impact your insurance rate) and a fine of $136.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:09 PM

366 posts, read 596,331 times
I've noticed this too, there seems to be a sense of entitlement among a significant portion of the population. They believe they can do whatever they feel like, and anyone who calls them out their behavior is a jerk. I can't even count the number of times I've experienced this among all segments of the population: drivers, cyclists, pedestrians alike. Most recently someone thought it was acceptable to block my driveway because they were "just waiting for a friend" even though they could have pulled up ten more feet into an open parking space. I paid good money for a condo with a parking space, but apparently I'm the jerk for not wanting some random person denying my rightful use of my driveway.

I don't think it has anything to do with the increase in population here (the idea that tech workers are to blame is laughable, I work in tech and I can tell you, tech workers are some of the most meek and passive people you will meet). It's a nationwide cultural phenomenon. Our attitude towards rules is that they're just there to inconvenience you. Our standards of conduct have been degraded by a pop culture that exalts hyper-individualism and denigrates tradition. Naturally this takes hold in large cities more quickly due to the absence of strong social bonds and the inability to ostracize those who refuse to play by the rules.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
I've noticed this too, there seems to be a sense of entitlement among a significant portion of the population. They believe they can do whatever they feel like, and anyone who calls them out their behavior is a jerk. I can't even count the number of times I've experienced this among all segments of the population: drivers, cyclists, pedestrians alike. Most recently someone thought it was acceptable to block my driveway because they were "just waiting for a friend" even though they could have pulled up ten more feet into an open parking space. I paid good money for a condo with a parking space, but apparently I'm the jerk for not wanting some random person denying my rightful use of my driveway.

I don't think it has anything to do with the increase in population here (the idea that tech workers are to blame is laughable, I work in tech and I can tell you, tech workers are some of the most meek and passive people you will meet). It's a nationwide cultural phenomenon. Our attitude towards rules is that they're just there to inconvenience you. Our standards of conduct have been degraded by a pop culture that exalts hyper-individualism and denigrates tradition. Naturally this takes hold in large cities more quickly due to the absence of strong social bonds and the inability to ostracize those who refuse to play by the rules.
Were you trying to exit your driveway while that person was parked there? If not, and his stay was very brief, I don't see an issue. I don't want to be one of those people who watches the driveway like a hawk, and comes running out of the house to shoo people away from some minor or imagined encroachment (I had a neighbor like that, once. We never blocked his driveway, but he would come out at the slightest excuse, even if someone's rear bumper was too close to his driveway, though within my property line). But parking a car there and leaving it for awhile would b a different matter.

What really bugged me was when proselytizers would drive up my driveway and park right at my garage door, as if they were invited guests. Hello? Excuse me????!!!!!
I can see why some people spend big bucks to build an automatic rolling gate to close off access to their driveway. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area