Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 12,879 times

Advertisements

I'm currently relocating to Seattle and was looking at various apartments in and around the downtown area. My office is located near the international district so I was looking to find an apartment close by so that I wouldn't necessarily need a car. I'm a young single professional so I don't have to worry about a family or schools or anything along those lines.

I saw a nice studio on Madison & 8th (I guess that would be considered to be on First Hill) and was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the neighborhood was safe and if in general that area is a good place to live in.

I could use any advice as I'm completely confused choosing between Beacon Hill.. Belltown.. First Hill and Capitol Hill..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM

199 posts, read 1,514,170 times
If your office is in the International District, you have a lot of choices that are easily busable and walkable. Belltown is a newer area, and has more restaurants and nightlife. There are also a lot of buses that run down 2nd avenue and up 4th avenue.

First Hill is closer to the downtown core, so a closer walk, but 8th and Madison might put you in an awkward spot for the buses (not more than a few blocks off, but not super convenient).

If you want to live in more of a neighborhood, Capital Hill, the Central District, and Mount Baker are all excellent choices, easily commutable by bus to the ID (10 - 20 minutes). Queen anne is nicer, "safer", less crime than all of those choices, and all very close.

Keep in mind that anything within 10 - 20 minutes from the ID will be an urban area, and so "safe" is a relative term. Crime is not rampant, but you need to stay aware, take precautions, and not make yourself a target. I lived in Capital Hill and Central District, and commuted by bus to downtown (days) and the U (nights) and there were very few instances that I felt uncomfortable (as a woman walking around alone).

Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
8th & Madison isn't bad, and it's walkable to the ID. There won't be a direct bus line, but you can get to and from the bus tunnel pretty quickly and it's a quick ride on the first bus that comes to the ID station.

There's a nice grocery store right at 8th & Madison now, too. You'll also be in easy walking distance of a couple of dozen movie screens, tons of restaurants and other things to do. Getting to outlying areas would also be easy since you'd be close to the hub of the transit network.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Quote:
Is First Hill a good place to live?
No it is not.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
It's a good enough and safe area (up to the top of the highest hill on Madison), and there's a bus that runs up and down Madison. You're close to downtown, to the Catholic Cathedral, to nightlife on Capitol Hill, and to the healthfood co-op further up. That particular area is somewhat ugly but convenient.

You'd need probably two buses to get to the International District from that spot, the one that goes down to 3rd ave and then the 7, 14, or 36 out to the ID. There may be a more direct bus or two running less often.

The problem is that some of the apartment buildings in that area have problems, either with maintenance or noise. You're also close to I5 and might get a bit of pollution from that at times.

I'd advise looking at the apartment ratings site and see what people say about particular buildings they've lived in. Be aware that sometimes management will sneak in good ratings to improve their rating.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
No it is not.
I have to completely disagree. First Hill is a great place to live. My aunt lives on First Hill and loves it. She's 70 and walks or catches the bus everywhere. It's convenient to just about everything and the easiest way to get to the ID is to walk down to 5th Avenue and catch any bus heading south on 5th which will take you to the International District or walk. Where will you be working in the ID?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 21,687 times
Affordability is going to drive your decision more than anything. Belltown will be highest followed by Capitol Hill with First Hill and Beacon Hill being similar...Beacon may be a tad less expensive. If you want to be close to the ID then consider the Metropolitan Terraces on the West side of I5 located at 6th and Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area