Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 PM

426 posts, read 527,165 times

Advertisements

I don't know, Kirkland has done a lot to improve walkability (better crosswalks, Take It to Make It, etc.) and the drivers there I've found to be pretty friendly in my opinion. There are always a few bad apples though.

I think the real problem is it's just getting way too crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:32 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like in the first incident, you were jaywalking. Unlike California, WA drivers are not required to stop for anyone crossing the street, especially jaywalkers. Crossing in a crosswalk when the light is with you (if there's a light) is another matter, of course.

2nd incident, you were in the crosswalk. Good job. But it sounds like you didn't look both ways before stepping out into it. Big trucks can't stop as fast as cars; you should look before you use a crosswalk if there's no light. Still, any vehicle has to observe the speed limit for that street or section of street. Either he was exceeding the limit, or you weren't aware that the street was more of a major thoroughfare than you'd thought.

Being from California, I was used to drivers stopping for anyone crossing the street anytime, anyplace. I learned very fast that it's different in and around Seattle. After realizing that, I had no more problems. It takes two to tango, and knowing the tango rules helps.
Are the "tango rules" not specified in the Rules of the Road Laws, which drivers are (theoretically) required to know in order to be licensed?

"Every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian upon any roadway and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary (RCW 46.61.245)."
Is not every driver's responsibility to avoid a crash to the greatest extent possible--even if that means stopping? Also, pedestrians ARE allowed to cross outside of a crosswalk if they yield to vehicles--this behavior is by definition legal and is NOT jaywalking!!! ("Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway (RCW 46.61.240)."). Finally, common humanity requires that you don't take another human's life if you have the means to avoid doing so--you can't just run over people! Rude behavior, of course, can't really be legislated against. To be fair, the driver did not hit the OP, which may be considered "exercising due care" to some...

"Vehicles shall stop at intersections to allow pedestrians and bicycles to cross the road within a marked or unmarked crosswalk (RCW 46.61.235)". Doesn't say that a pedestrian who is crossing against the light is an exception. And note that unmarked crosswalks count equally too--all intersections are crosswalks in some form. Although, logically, "No pedestrian or bicycle shall suddenly leave a curb and move into traffic so that the driver can not stop (RCW 46.61.235)." Second case, the OP was IN THE MIDDLE of the crosswalk, which implies he/she had already been in the crosswalk with plenty of time for an attentive (and not speeding...) driver to slow down and likely to stop--major thoroughfare or not. Drivers did not slow down at all!!! (Second driver's view was obstructed by the truck, so that's more understandable). If such a major thoroughfare, why no walk signal? Both drivers and pedestrians do "bad" things when the design is bad. Alert drivers and pedestrians are able to compensate and avoid the crash. Fortunately, there was no crash. But I hope the OP notifies whatever DOT is responsible on that stretch of road so they can improve things before somebody does die.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Eastside drivers are selfish idiots. It's just a matter of time before I run over a Mercedes or BMW when it pulls out in front of my 17 ton rig. They will lose big time.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:03 AM

361 posts, read 398,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

2nd incident, you were in the crosswalk. Good job. But it sounds like you didn't look both ways before stepping out into it. Big trucks can't stop as fast as cars; you should look before you use a crosswalk if there's no light. Still, any vehicle has to observe the speed limit for that street or section of street. Either he was exceeding the limit, or you weren't aware that the street was more of a major thoroughfare than you'd thought.
Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on, Ruth4Truth.

In the 2nd incident, I DID look both ways before I stepped into the crosswalk. There were NO vehicles approaching the crosswalk I was about to step into.

I then walked almost halfway to the middle of the crosswalk, at the median strip portion of the roadway, when I see a truck....and this isn't those 18-wheeler Walmart big rig trucks you see on the freeway. This was some kind of company truck, and it was a Toyota Tacoma truck with some kind of small corporate logo on it. So dumb, I should have recorded this, or wrote down the name of the company.

The driver DID have AMPLE time to stop for me in the crosswalk. He was 25 yards away approaching the crosswalk I was in when I made eye contact with him. This punk just sped up, didn't care about my life, and barged through the crosswalk. Damn, I wish I had a rock with me at that time, ...I hate to sound vitriolic, but would have tossed it through his open window

If I were to get hit by this POS on that day, I would either be #1) be a paraplegic right now #2) have broken leg bones where I would have to be hospitalized for 2-3 weeks, and on top of that, get rehabilitation service, and probably have nails or metal rod put into my feet, and be uncomfortable and take a sh-t on a hospital bedpan (basically my life would have sucked and I would not be able to work for a LONG time) or #3) I would be dead, and this POS would have probably driven on, and it would have been a hit-and-run incident, and nobody would have known who this punk driver was. Guarantee that!

In addition, there was a Scion that was behind this crap truck, also speeding down the street, and she could have definitely braked and stopped for me. But nope. This idiot driver too just sped past me in the crosswalk!

I was really really enraged that day, I just went home, took some sleeping aide medications and went to bed. This just keeps flashing back in my head, making me feel more enraged.

But what comforted me today, was the fact that I wrote a letter to the Kirkland Police department about pedestrian safety. I did the same for Puyallup Police. I got a call, actually voicemail since I was driving at the time he called me, from one of the police sergeants. He told me in the VM that he will place this issue for the police to be aware of. Of course, it's not a high priority, but something to let the police department know about.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
I don't know, Kirkland has done a lot to improve walkability (better crosswalks, Take It to Make It, etc.) and the drivers there I've found to be pretty friendly in my opinion. There are always a few bad apples though.

I think the real problem is it's just getting way too crowded.

Well, that day I was there, it must have been a very bad day to have one driver cuss at me to use the crosswalk, and then later on, I use the crosswalk, only to have TWO vehicles speed past me while I was in the crosswalk, halfway through the street. The truck and the Scion behind the truck sped past me, 1 foot away from my body. Near death, right off the bat!

Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Not true. Pedestrians have the right of way here. Yes, they can be ticketed for jaywalking but cars still have to stop for them no matter what.

And screaming out and cussing at the person is not ok. Ever.
Yes, thank you, cmswazey! Pedestrians have the right of way while they are in the street, even if it's not the crosswalk.

No, I don't always jay-walk. I tend to use the crosswalk. But the street I was walking across (the 1st incident with that cussing idiot mustang driver) was a quiet street with no traffic. heck, there was a couple who crossed the street 1 minute before that a-hole driver drove up the street, only to have me unfortunately cross the street at the wrong time with this punk yelling at me to use the crosswalk, and use profanity, which was not cool. Hope someone scratches her mustang.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
It's amazing that we let people like that have licenses.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:38 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Eastside drivers are selfish idiots. It's just a matter of time before I run over a Mercedes or BMW when it pulls out in front of my 17 ton rig. They will lose big time.
well your threats of violence seem a lot more extreme, and thus make you the "bad" guy. Well done you.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Yes, thank you, cmswazey! Pedestrians have the right of way while they are in the street, even if it's not the crosswalk.

No, I don't always jay-walk. I tend to use the crosswalk. But the street I was walking across (the 1st incident with that cussing idiot mustang driver) was a quiet street with no traffic. heck, there was a couple who crossed the street 1 minute before that a-hole driver drove up the street, only to have me unfortunately cross the street at the wrong time with this punk yelling at me to use the crosswalk, and use profanity, which was not cool. Hope someone scratches her mustang.
Nope, you know you were wrong , but just did not like someone pointing it out.

So I will, you crossed incorrectly got called out and came to the internet to attempt to build a narrative where you become a good guy.

here is the deal mate. you have NO clue were any of those drivers were from and they are as likely to be from the eastside as not.
Any weekend in Kirkland DT area the pop is made up mostly of people visiting for a stroll, some food and maybe a few drinks. Do you really think Kirks pop would support the many dozens of food outlets? Do you think soccer moms are out filling the bars at the weekend.

I live in DT , the drivers there are the exact same people driving around Seattle, or did you think they ALL work in MSFT? Your entire premise is grossly flawed and stinks of a weak attempt to place blame on others.

Maybe you should just learn to cross the road like an adult.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:48 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
The OP should learn how to cross the street. If you think drivers in this area are rude, try the Midwest or Europe next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area