Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,770 times

Advertisements

Who has the right of way in these examples?

Please hele out. I came from Toronto area. I would like to make sure I get used to the traffic rules in the state.

Example 01-

Vehicle in Green – Turning Right after complete stop. The traffic light is red
Vehicle in Red – The vehicle is making “wide u-turn.” The traffic light is orange & flashing

As far as I know, u-turns are generally illegal unless posted. Is this correct?

Example 02.

Both cars have green light.
Who has the right of way this time?

Blue, correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 12:10 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, when I'm in a new city, new state, I hire an instructor from the local driving school to ask those kinds of questions of, to learn the local streets (out-of-towners not knowing where they're going can cause accidents), and if necessary, get practice handling local weather conditions (snow driving, for people from California or western Washington). It's only around $35-$40 for an hour, and it's well worth it. It will give you much more confidence. But right turns have right of way over left turns, even if it's a u-turn. And some intersections don't allow u-turns.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Not sure I understand the question, but in most jurisdictions if you come to a "tie", the right vehicle has the right-away. Think right, and let the right vehicle move first.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM

26 posts, read 19,194 times
Example 2: both cars have a green light is impossible at least in WA, PA, NY and NJ.

Example 1:
u-turns are generally illegal unless posted. Is this correct? YES, it is correct.
If that was the scenario the green vehicle has a right of way, and the red screams for a LEO attention.

... but if the intersection was marked as a U-turn one, the right-of-way is for the red vehicle. Driver is on the main road and has a flashing yellow traffic light means slow down and proceed with caution. Left turn drivers must yield to traffic that moves straight or turns right... A flashing yellow arrow means left turns are allowed, but you must yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
Green vehicle is topped at ared light - If turning right, it may turn after coming to a full stop if it is safe and if there is no sign prohibiting the turn on a red light. it must yield to oncoming traffic The red vehicle will be part of the oncoming traffic.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
Green has right away because u turns always yield. Assuming a u-turn in that state is even legal.

While we are on it, cars have the right to pull to the middle of the intersection and wait to turn and the oncoming traffic has to wait. Whewww glad I got that off my chest. It doesn't seem to be well understood here in WA.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,770 times
To chol1a,

Thank you~

About "Example 01" - I do not think I clearly explained the scenario.

A vehicle (Red line) is making u-turn instead of turning left while the light is flashing orange. Keep in mind, no sign and/or post, allowing u-turn, which I think makes it illegal.

2nd vehicle (green) is turning right while the light is red. Keep in mind this occurs ater a full stop in order to ensure no-oncoming traffic from both directions and no pedistrians + no sign, showing "Do not turn on Red"

The reason why I am confused is I keep getting conflicted info from people who have been living in the state for a long time.
Some people believe a Red line vehicle gets to go first as the light is flashing orange while a Green line vehicle has red light.

I did some researching online & it seems to me that everyone sees this scenario a bit differently.

ex. I'm making a U-turn - I HAVE THE ****ING RIGHT OF WAY, *******! [Archive] - Straight Dope Message Board

Regardless, I think I am going to ask this question to a defensive driving instructor who happends to be a real/active police officer. There is a class available in mid December.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:43 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post

While we are on it, cars have the right to pull to the middle of the intersection and wait to turn and the oncoming traffic has to wait. Whewww glad I got that off my chest. It doesn't seem to be well understood here in WA.
Uh, maybe because the cops write tickets for blocking an intersection.

You can move to the middle of the intersection, but you better be out of there when the light turns red.

The city of Wenatchee finally had enough and started writing LOTS of tickets for blocking intersections. Now the intersections are kept clear and traffic is moving much more smoothly.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:12 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Uh, maybe because the cops write tickets for blocking an intersection.

You can move to the middle of the intersection, but you better be out of there when the light turns red.

The city of Wenatchee finally had enough and started writing LOTS of tickets for blocking intersections. Now the intersections are kept clear and traffic is moving much more smoothly.
I think these are two different things. The poster, I believe was talking about a turning left driver moving into the middle of the intersection then waiting for the light to turn yellow then red and finally making the turn. This is pretty common.

"Blocking the intersection", as I understand it is what happens when straight ahead drivers move into the intersection even though traffic ahead is either slow or stopped. This creates folks with nowhere to go and thus creates traffic anarchy. Seattle has struggled with this for decades, but smaller towns are not immune.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:19 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
U-turns are allowed at intersections with traffic lights unless this sign is present.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
Example 2: both cars have a green light is impossible at least in WA, PA, NY and NJ.
How is that impossible? There are several intersections around me where both the cars in the example would have green arrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area