Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 13,905 times

Advertisements

We are new to the state and currently renting in clyde hill, but am trying to decide where to buy on the Eastside. We are a family of four including 2 kids in elementary school. Our jobs have multiple offices spanning from Bothell to Factoria, Bellevue to Sammamish. We would be able to pick the closest office so there wouldn't be much commuting once we decide where to live. I would ideally like a family friendly place that is more down to earth but still close to amenities like shopping. Budget would be less than $1.2 million which does not go far in our current neighborhood. I do like the proximity to downtown Bellevue but am wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere (less land rovers trying to park in tiny garage spaces?) For what it's worth, we are Chinese but don't speak Chinese.
Any recommendations? How does Sammamish, Redmond, or Bothell compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 03:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
It will depend on priorities, whether schools or the preferred office, etc. There is not a lot of inventory available to choose from so that will be another factor. Lake Washington is a great school district but most are solid including Issaquah, Bellevue and Northshore. Perhaps visiting neighborhoods and schools will help.

Seattle-area home pickings slimmer than ever: high demand, limited supply | The Seattle Times

Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Hi Cheesy,

Welcome to the area! Newport Hills (a few miles south of Downtown Bellevue) has always struck me as pretty down to earth, my clients who buy there seem to love it. You might also like the West Lk Sammamish area. These spots have established neighborhoods, often more mature vegetation, homes (and perhaps people) more in harmony with their surroundings. Juanita/Holmes Point area (just north of Kirkland) is neat in a similar way. All of these are quite family friendly with highly rated schools closeby.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-06-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesychocolate View Post
We are new to the state and currently renting in clyde hill, but am trying to decide where to buy on the Eastside. We are a family of four including 2 kids in elementary school. Our jobs have multiple offices spanning from Bothell to Factoria, Bellevue to Sammamish. We would be able to pick the closest office so there wouldn't be much commuting once we decide where to live. I would ideally like a family friendly place that is more down to earth but still close to amenities like shopping. Budget would be less than $1.2 million which does not go far in our current neighborhood. I do like the proximity to downtown Bellevue but am wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere (less land rovers trying to park in tiny garage spaces?) For what it's worth, we are Chinese but don't speak Chinese.
Any recommendations? How does Sammamish, Redmond, or Bothell compare?
Since you're pretty close to the top, the only way to slide is down. I wouldn't call Bellevue or Kirkland much of a downgrade from Clyde Hill, in the grand scheme of things, but it is what it is.

Kirkland is not on your list, and should be. Chinese just moved in close by, buying the doctor's house and paying cash (roughly 10% more than list) for a 2K square foot place. The elementary is nearby, Jr. High ditto (Peter Kirk and Kirkland JH, respt). Nice place, too, very similar to mine.

(I knew the above because the good doctor was a friend of mine, I've not met these folks yet but clearly from the news a lot of Chinese money flowing into the real estate market Eastside.)

$1.2M will buy you a fair amount of house in Norkirk, Everest, Moss Bay, or Houghton. I preferred Norkirk due to ease of getting in or out of the area and proximity to downtown Kirkland (and Kirkland Transit Center). I really don't like dealing with 68th/70th during rush hour, some of the arterials can be stop and go.

Doubt any of the above will be seeing much of a long-term downturn, either. Unlikely unless there is some sort of national economic calamity.

Prices are rising in a rather crazed manner, might want to do some research and decide how you feel. Lots of Chinese-specific realtors around these days, if you're more comfortable with that (so I'm reading). Couple guys who frequent this part of C-D sound pretty knowledgeable, too.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
You can buy new, with 4,000 sf in Sammamish with that budget, which is now about 17% Asian and has excellent schools. Some are in Lake WA district, some Issaquah. The only disadvantage here is the rare snow days, when it's downhill to go anywhere. From the new developments it's 5-10 minutes to major shopping in Issaquah, 20 to Redmond, 5 to restaurants, the hospital and the theater at Issaquah Highlands.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:53 AM

9 posts, read 13,905 times
Thanks for all your advice! I will look into Kirkland since it is accessible to Seattle for weekend exploration. The new homes out on the plateau are tempting. I'm wondering if I would regret moving out to Sammamish and Issaquah. I'm from the east coast and used to living in or near big cities. We love dining out. I'm also used to living in places with walk scores 40+. I would love to be able to continue to be able to walk places but realize that is unlikely. Do people in Kirkland walk to stores? Any other places on the Eastside that offer this?

Old 01-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Cheesy. I really think you would miss walkability. Kirkland will give you that. The plateau and Sammamish are the antithesis of this. Go to Kirkland, just walk around down near the marina, loads of shops and cafes nearby. In your price range, 1.2mil or even better if you can push a little higher, should be able to find something in the "East of Market" area of Kirkland. This will potentially put you walkable (certainly bikeable) to many shops and restaurants. Just know that this area is very competitive and you need to have an airtight strategy and conviction when it comes time to buy.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
North Rose Hill area of Kirkland is very walkable with a "neighborhood pathway" system that hooks all the areas within it together. Lots of people walking and jogging all the time. Good schools too.

It also has easy access to the freeway and is central to just about everything.

Sammamish plateau is a nightmare for commuting to most places and can take a long time just to get down through the choke points from up there, and then grind through Redmond to actually get somewhere to be where you would be starting your commute in North Rose Hill.

You can buy new construction for a million and up in NRH. But if you are willing to live in a nicely remodelled and well cared for home that was built in the 70's or 80's, you can pick up something for $600-$700k. We could only get $650k for our 2000 sq ft house on a nicely landscaped large lot, at the end of a quiet cul de sac last August, and that was the going price for "old construction". That was a bargain for someone, for that convenient location.

And they are rebuilding Totem Lake mall from scratch, which will put a nice new shopping area within walking distance.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Old town Bothell is another area you might want to explore, has a pretty walkable core and is underrated in my opinion. The schools are rated very highly and you would certainly get more house for your money there than Kirkland.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:59 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesychocolate View Post
Thanks for all your advice! I will look into Kirkland since it is accessible to Seattle for weekend exploration. The new homes out on the plateau are tempting. I'm wondering if I would regret moving out to Sammamish and Issaquah. I'm from the east coast and used to living in or near big cities. We love dining out. I'm also used to living in places with walk scores 40+. I would love to be able to continue to be able to walk places but realize that is unlikely. Do people in Kirkland walk to stores? Any other places on the Eastside that offer this?
I walk when I need the exercise (and who doesn't), my house is c. 1 mile from Kirkland TC or QFC, three blocks further to waterfront. Will be interested to see what the new plaza is ("Kirkland Urban") when they're done; pretty website and appears to be a major undertaking. Can't quite tell if it's another Bravern or what, time will tell. The new theater and existing QFC are "anchors", apparently. I miss the bagels, fish monger, and various other stores in the former plaza.

East of Market...guess that's what they're calling Norkirk too anymore? Looked up on Redfin: interesting that few if any listings are under a mil-five, in fact few listings whatsoever. Hmm. However, $1.2M buys new construction in Houghton, other side of 6th across from Google. I think OP has at least some options and hope he has the steel nerves Homeinseattle suggests.

People want to live here in the worst way because it's superb for access to Eastside industry, has a neighborhood feel, very little ghetto behavior, and various great schools. There is a certain savoir faire to the place, as well: most of the downtown businesses are "fluffy" or urbane, sort of a Rodeo Drive North as I call it. Tons of neat activities downtown in warmer weather, too.

My commute is eight miles down the street, via some side roads if-needed, and about 20-30 minutes. Not dealing with the hideous traffic, having things to do a mile down the road, and with places for the kids to mingle (parks, indoor activities) is huge to most people.

News indicates that King County inventory keeps going down, down, down...should be an interesting spring, when buyers warm up again. Listen to the Seattle Bubble Guy, it's a nightmare scenario. My long-time realtor has a more balanced view. Looking at local macro/micro economic indicators, my "opinion" is there won't be a decline in prices or uptick in available inventory in this area specifically for awhile...the only building I see here is demolition of tumble-down shacks for $1.5M rebuilds, because that's where the demand is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area