Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

Even though i already have a 1 bedroom apartment in northgate seattle that i have lived in since july 2015 im just curious as to what 2017 will be for seattle apartment prices?? My lease doesnt expire until august 2017.

I feel really sorry for my old friends amd x girlfriend struggling in the san fernando valley region of los angeles,California unable to find a one bedroom apartment for less than $2,000 a month. A friend of my moms has a son in woodland hills,California paying $2200 a month for a basic one bedroom apartment.

In northgate seattle i pay $1200 a month for a one bedroom with a washer and dryer inside the unit. Currentlyy landlord is charging $1300 a month for units silar to mine now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
In Tacoma . My rent went from $1070 last Jan to &1395 last month for a 2-2 - so in one year . That's not including the monthly parking and water sewer trash bill that goes with it just bare rent . Need to move but can't afford to since my husband got sick.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There are many new high rise apartments being built that will be completed this year, but it won't help with prices. They will be in the $2,500-5,000 range. With so many people still moving here without the skills for the $100k+ jobs, the lower rent apartments will remain hard to find, and landlords will continue to raise the rent. I expect this to create more demand and higher rent in outlying areas, with longer commutes.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Its been widely reported that 10,000 units will be coming on line this year, shattering the old record of 5,000 set in 2016...with another 12-13k units in 2018. Even though its high end apartments to some degree that will filter down and affect lower tier prices as other tiers will be forced to ask less as the top tier renters go to the new places. You can look at rents leveling or going down in other major cities as examples.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Hard to imagine rents not continuing up, so many people are moving here. You may be buffered a bit from that in Northgate, as it isn't considered as desirable as some areas. In my opinion, this is silly as Northgate has a lot to offer.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:06 PM

117 posts, read 143,451 times
I don't think the Econ 101 supply and demand curve applies to housing in a city. Those 10,000 "luxury" apartments aren't appearing out of nowhere. While the vast majority of them may be in taller and taller buildings, somebody had to be displaced to make room for them, and those people will now be competing in less desirable neighborhoods and raising the prices on existing apartments. That coupled with the fact that somebody thought it was a good idea to build 10,000 apartments tells me that way more people are moving here from elsewhere.

The only way we are going to see price reductions in rents or purchase is if the economy tanks, or if the population predictions turn out to be way off and we are overbuilt.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times
OP comparing Northgate prices to SFV or Woodland Hills isn't a good comparison, prices in Seattle and LA are pretty much a push, and if you looked for anything in a more comparable area like Ballard you'd be paying those same SoCal prices (or more thanks to insane bidding wars in Seattle). Northgate=East LA where there are tons of things in the same price range you're currently paying, or less in fact.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hard to imagine rents not continuing up, so many people are moving here. You may be buffered a bit from that in Northgate, as it isn't considered as desirable as some areas. In my opinion, this is silly as Northgate has a lot to offer.
Thats right northgate does have alot to offer and its a convenient location. If people are too snobby not to live in northgate its their loss.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
OP comparing Northgate prices to SFV or Woodland Hills isn't a good comparison, prices in Seattle and LA are pretty much a push, and if you looked for anything in a more comparable area like Ballard you'd be paying those same SoCal prices (or more thanks to insane bidding wars in Seattle). Northgate=East LA where there are tons of things in the same price range you're currently paying, or less in fact.
Northgate is a short bus ride or drive to Ballard.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
That makes sense except that everyone wanted a piece of the pie (meaning wanted to build new apartments with the easy money) that overbuilding can occur. We know this based on history and what is happening now in many large cities across the country. It may be in Seattle the population influx will continue so much that this won't be the case here but eventually things turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daberkow View Post
That coupled with the fact that somebody thought it was a good idea to build 10,000 apartments tells me that way more people are moving here from elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area