Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:14 PM

437 posts, read 436,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesheep View Post
No regrets about leaving. I left Seattle, because it is completely lame. Too many mindless conformists, and too much of a group think mentality in Seattle for me. Original thought is strongly discouraged in Seattle. Speaking your mind is strongly discouraged. Humor is absent. People in Seattle are some jealous massive barrels of insecurities too. Passive-aggressive anything and everything prevails everywhere. Seattleites are completely inept at almost everything. Skills are absent. NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE can drive...at all. Seattleites are categorically the absolute worst drivers on the N. American continent. They are social misfits...an entire society of people who have the social skills and maturity of a 6th grader. Seattleites are the least skilled at socializing and driving. Customer service is absent. Sanctimony, judgement, and abject hypocrisy run rampant. You're also not allowed to criticize Seattle. Bratty children don't respond well to criticism. This is how the masses in Seattle behave. Childish behavior and immature responses are elicited from these masses. The truth is out regarding Seattle...everyone there really does need to get over themselves.
Would you say the same about the Puget Sound islanders, or is this more confined to Seattle proper? Curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 01:15 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,201,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
Would you say the same about the Puget Sound islanders, or is this more confined to Seattle proper? Curious...
IMO the entire region, people in E. WA tend to be a lot nicer

Old 04-09-2017, 03:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I left because people were too judgmental. People would often hold their noses and walk around me in the streets. I admit that I haven't washed or shaved in almost a decade, and I also have vocal tourettes, but I thought that a cosmopolitan city like Seattle would be more open-minded and accepting of people who deviate from the norm.
I don't mean to be hurtful, but if you've not washed in years, you can expect reactions like that anywhere. Also, if you are presenting Tourette's, then people aren't going to know wtf is happening. It's not like they've been shown your doctor's records. Cosmopolitan does not mean anything goes. No one can please everyone and having highly pronounced behaviorisms is likely to scare the bejabbers out of people.

Being avoided is a very restrained reaction, compared to what anyone who has an objection to you could do.

I was on the bus going home and guy came on and sat next to me. Stank badly. I said nothing. I did not get up and move. Seeing this, he pushed the envelope and leaned in a tiny bit. I involuntarily wrinkled my nose -didn't even know I was doing it. He was watching for it and makes a comment about how I'm reacting to his smell, and I was like, dude, just leave me alone.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesheep View Post
No regrets about leaving. I left Seattle, because it is completely lame. Too many mindless conformists, and too much of a group think mentality in Seattle for me. Original thought is strongly discouraged in Seattle. Speaking your mind is strongly discouraged. Humor is absent. People in Seattle are some jealous massive barrels of insecurities too. Passive-aggressive anything and everything prevails everywhere. Seattleites are completely inept at almost everything. Skills are absent. NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE can drive...at all. Seattleites are categorically the absolute worst drivers on the N. American continent. They are social misfits...an entire society of people who have the social skills and maturity of a 6th grader. Seattleites are the least skilled at socializing and driving. Customer service is absent. Sanctimony, judgement, and abject hypocrisy run rampant. You're also not allowed to criticize Seattle. Bratty children don't respond well to criticism. This is how the masses in Seattle behave. Childish behavior and immature responses are elicited from these masses. The truth is out regarding Seattle...everyone there really does need to get over themselves.
I've lived in several places. Conformists are everywhere. Not just here. I've not found humor to be absent here. Nor customer service. I personally about break my back at my job ensuring that clients get what they need.

I think you need to look in the mirror.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindropdroptop View Post
Just came back from Seattle for a work trip. Used to live there in 2007-2008, now in Boston. Three big takeaways:

1. I can't count the number of times I heard "This winter has been really bad" or "This has been a really tough winter" from the people there - cab drivers, Uber drivers, waiters, bartenders, practically everyone I interacted with. And it's not just the fact that I heard it everywhere, but the complete hopelessness with which people delivered it. People b*tch about the weather all the time in Boston, but usually laugh it off - they don't get all morose and suicidal looking. So much S.A.D.

2. Also, so much pent up aggression and unhappiness in people out there in your fine city. Sure, everyone was friendly and cordial during the daylight hours, but then night fell and the alcohol kicked in. The realness came out. There was more than one situation where people in bars had absolutely zero interest in making friends, and were obviously looking to start a fight or argument. It is amazing how one simple question like "Where are you from?" can devolve into a verbal spat where people are openly and aggressively trying to tell you how much you suck and how much better they are than you. Newsflash: if you were so great, you wouldn't have to tell everyone about it.

2a. The aforementioned happened when a group of women approached our table (all dudes) and tried to strike up convo. It started out great, but quickly went downhill when we made a joke about the Seahawks (we're all Pats fans). So to recap: they wanted to know where WE were from, but ended up on a mission to tell us how much where we're from sucked, and how much better Seattle is than Boston. It was both tacky and childish and rude all at the same time. At the end I just felt sorry for them. (FYI, ladies of Seattle, trying to appear more aggressive or assertive, or whatever you think you're doing, than your male counterparts is not attractive. No wonder you're all single.)

2b. Another aforementioned situation happened when a girl at the bar asked my buddy what he did for a living and he jokingly said "dolphin trainer". This grown woman was actually gullible enough to believe that answer, so we decided to have some fun with it and carried it on another 5 minutes. Ended with the girl on the verge of tears calling us liars and a**holes in front of the whole bar. Why so sensitive, Seattle? Why??

3. I got food poisoning from the clam chowder at Pike Place Market. F*ck you, Pike Place Chowder. You have always been the one thing I look forward to enjoying when I visit Seattle, and now that is ruined.

So glad I left Seattle. Maybe I'll just schedule my work trip for the summer next time.
Aside from the Patriots, which are pretty much universally loathed anywhere outside of New England, Boston is a much livelier place than Seattle even though they compare similarly on paper. Not that I hate Seattle or anything...I spent most of my school aged years there and consider it (along with Portland) home in a sense. As for the women, there's no comparison there. Seattle is a good place if you're gay or have sworn them off entirely in favor of confirmed bachelorhood.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Boston's really great.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
IMO the entire region, people in E. WA tend to be a lot nicer
This is what is confusing to me. On one hand you get a lot of people talking about...

A) How much they resent all the transplants coming into WA and how they ruin everything.

Then you get a lot of people talking about...

B) Stereotyping or broad-stroking large sections of WA as the people being XYZ.

But seriously, does it really stand to reason or logic that if there's *really* that many transplants coming in that they wouldn't dilute the XYZ pool and bring some of their good humor, better social skills, or whatever WITH them,possibly even be CONTAGIOUS???

Or does lack of sunshine/Vit. D deficiency turn everyone into XYZ as soon as they cross state lines???

I'm not being argumentative, but can you see how confusing it can appear?

Old 04-09-2017, 09:45 PM

I left because people were too judgmental. People would often hold their noses and walk around me in the streets. I admit that I haven't washed or shaved in almost a decade, and I also have vocal tourettes, but I thought that a cosmopolitan city like Seattle would be more open-minded and accepting of people who deviate from the norm.

(*IF* this is actually even an honest poster with a real issue)... Um, I don't think peoples' sense of smell differs from city to city, stink is stink, Buddy, and is a major indication of major bacteria! I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that if you can afford internet connection, you can probably afford a bar of soap. Even if you're posting on here free at the library, libraries have bathrooms you can go and clean-up in, as you can at most homeless shelters. If you make the choice to not bathe and go out amongst people....seriously, what do you expect? That's not even healthy for yourself.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:

(*IF* this is actually even an honest poster with a real issue)... Um, I don't think peoples' sense of smell differs from city to city, stink is stink, Buddy, and is a major indication of major bacteria! I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that if you can afford internet connection, you can probably afford a bar of soap. Even if you're posting on here free at the library, libraries have bathrooms you can go and clean-up in, as you can at most homeless shelters. If you make the choice to not bathe and go out amongst people....seriously, what do you expect? That's not even healthy for yourself.
Yep and there's a place at the edge of downtown that's soley for the homeless, where they can wash their clothes and shower. In fact, they have more than one location.

https://urbanreststop.org/about/information/downtown/

Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
This is what is confusing to me. On one hand you get a lot of people talking about...

A) How much they resent all the transplants coming into WA and how they ruin everything.

Then you get a lot of people talking about...

B) Stereotyping or broad-stroking large sections of WA as the people being XYZ.

But seriously, does it really stand to reason or logic that if there's *really* that many transplants coming in that they wouldn't dilute the XYZ pool and bring some of their good humor, better social skills, or whatever WITH them,possibly even be CONTAGIOUS???

Or does lack of sunshine/Vit. D deficiency turn everyone into XYZ as soon as they cross state lines???

I'm not being argumentative, but can you see how confusing it can appear?
No. Because I've been quite vociferous here about the stereotyping and haven't once said anything about transplants.

And I think that might be a false equivalency anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area