Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:23 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sockeye, I've helped a few of my clients buy homes in White Center and I think it is pretty cool. To me, besides being relatively affordable, it is one of the most authentic places left in the region. It hasn't really been affected much by gentrification, you can still get an honest burger and beer and there are some great ethnic hole in the wall eateries. One of my favorites is a little Khmer Cambodian place called Queen Deli. Sweet people, very reasonable prices, have you been? Very tasty.

I've been!! And there's Full Tilt and Barton Noble... Have you tried the Salvadorean Bakery? OMG! Yum! I live just a mile and a half from there in Arbor Hts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:52 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,310,335 times
bluehorseshoe, for you to call the foods "mediocre" here, you must not like ethnic foods. I've traveled to many places on the planet and I can tell you that tasty foods from around the globe are excellent in the Seattle area, and often very affordable. Here is a partial list of some of the foods I have on a regular basis, if you need some specific ideas of things that will blow you away, let me know.

West African (Senegalese and Gambian)
Ethiopian
Eritrean
Somali
Korean
Szechuan, Cantonese, Xian and a wide variety of Chinese foods
Filipino
Khmer Cambodian
Bangladeshi
Punjabi Indian
Pakistani
Caribbean-Jamaican, Trinidadian
Cuban
Puerto Rican
Lebanese
Persian
South Indian
Malaysian
Vietnamese
Laotian
Indonesian
Thai
Nepalese
Moroccan
Afghani
Turkish
Salvadorian
Japanese
Taiwanese

Old 02-27-2017, 12:25 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sockeye, I've helped a few of my clients buy homes in White Center and I think it is pretty cool. To me, besides being relatively affordable, it is one of the most authentic places left in the region. It hasn't really been affected much by gentrification, you can still get an honest burger and beer and there are some great ethnic hole in the wall eateries. One of my favorites is a little Khmer Cambodian place called Queen Deli. Sweet people, very reasonable prices, have you been? Very tasty.
Is White Center a decent neighborhood? My info may be out-of-date, but I was told it was ghetto, and to be avoided. It's definitely well-priced, though, with some well-maintained properties.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:36 PM

I like it down there Ruth, it's becoming a default for those who can't afford the rising West Seattle prices. White Center is still funky, neat little places and artists' studios, good ethnic food too as you mentioned.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM

332 posts, read 398,448 times
@Homeinseattle I grew up in New York City and done a ton of traveling. I'm pretty familiar with good food IMHO. Outside of Japanese, Thai, and Vietnamese the ethnic food is not good here bro although I admit there are some more unique regions on your list I probably wouldn't know if it's good or not. The Chinese food here is god aweful outside of Red Lantern and Dough Zone. Indian? Every Indian person I know here says the Indian food here is bad, and I totally agree. I have Cuban blood, seriously underwhelmed by anything here from that part of the world here. I will miss the sushi here I will say that. And the cocktails here are excellent at just about every restaurant but getting very spendy like everything else.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:22 PM

blue, I've backpacked India, Bangladesh and Nepal. The Indian food at Bengal Tiger in the Roosevelt area and Masala in Northgate is very good. There aren't amazing Chinese places on every corner but there are some good ones. Korean and Ethiopian are amazing here, if you want some other recommendations about any of the others I mentioned, just let me know. I'm a Miami boy born and raised, I agree that the Cuban here isn't the best but this place Geo's is quite good, have you been? The dude is from Havana and legit, his wife mixes in some pretty good Creole too: https://www.yelp.com/biz/geos-cuban-and-creole-cafe-seattle.

The sandwiches at at Un Bien in Ballard (employees formerly of Paseo) are super tasty: http://unbienseattle.com/

The Desi sandwich at Bongo's Green Lake is addictive: http://www.bongosseattle.com/

Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always-Blue View Post

Let's start with sports. The great opiate of vicarious living. Big sports town right? Aside from the obviousness of this stemming Seattleites being uninvested in their own lives, they also are the worst hypocrites about it. All these diehard '#12' Hawks fans in their mid 20's-40's conveniently forget that they used to hate the team as kids. Anyone who honestly remembers the 1990's here knows that in town of grunge there was nothing less cool than the local mediocre football franchise. Wearing Seahawks apparel was unheard of.
While it's true that I will probably HAVE to leave- kicking and screaming - due to the housing situation . I am a HUGE Layne Staley ( Rest easy Bud) /AIC fan as well as Pearl Jam and somehow dated a guy from Moving Parts ( if anyone remembers them ) but I am and shall remain a Mega Seahawk fan- even from WAY back in Texas starting around 79-80 .
I am 54.
You can see in my pic how happy I was in Sept when Kenny Easley signed that Costacos poster for me. I was THRILLED ! O.M.G. I was so starstruck and I admit it and he was here from 81-87. The Seahawk part was especially hard in Texas so you better believe I am enjoying the heck out of it now while it lasts - Love BamBam and Bwagz !!!! The energy you get out of that stadium is unreal , it's been an absolute joy for me . 2 current players one older - one younger , played with 2 of my sons all the way back to middle school in Texas, so it's been extra fun there . You can even laugh at my big, ultra glittering, rhinestone Seahawk on the back windshield of my car lol ! GO HAWKS !

Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is White Center a decent neighborhood? My info may be out-of-date, but I was told it was ghetto, and to be avoided. It's definitely well-priced, though, with some well-maintained properties.
It's still pretty wild. Does have a criminal element. But they have been putting in some nice restaurants and my guess is it'll continue to change.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM

3,697 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Grew up in the Seattle area.

Lots of positives in the Seattle area but after living on the East Coast and Los Angeles, I won't return to live there again. I like to visit only.

Housing is too high for me
Public Transportation is still too limited
I would never want to live in the suburbs and commute by car

Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I moved to White Center in 2002, larger house, yard, and some good neighbors. World of difference to today, all the rentals have sold to regular buyers and the corp area is much cleaner and safer. It's safe and offers venues to stick around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area