Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,087 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are moving from Miami, FL to Seattle, WA... we thought rents were outrageous here, but Seattle is insane! Plus the apartments are so tiny!
Any neighborhoods near Belltown that aren't too far a commute and won't break the bank? Needs to be dog friendly.

Thanks!
JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,501 times
This is exactly the same situation I'm in. My wife received a great job offer in Seattle so we are relocating to there from Miami as well. The rents in Seattle are something to behold. As you noted, I thought Miami was high, but it doesn't hold a candle to Seattle. We also have a dog and that made it a challenge to find any decent condo that would willingly accept pets. There's also a ton of demand so owners and their agents don't necessarily get back to you in a timely fashion and the applicant screening process can be daunting to say the least. In Seattle, tenants only have to provide 20 days notice that they're moving whereas most places in Miami require 30 days if not 60 days notice, so timing can be an issue in terms of what's available. The other thing to be mindful of is parking fees. Unless you're renting a condo where a space is included, all of the managed properties charge anywhere from $150-$250 just for the first parking space. And as you indicated, most of the one bedroom units are very small relative to what you would find in the Miami area. Anything around 750 sq ft is going to be on the larger end of what you'll find in Seattle. I would recommend the Belltown area. That's where we settled on so my wife would be able to walk to work. We're definitely paying a lot more than we ever anticipated for rent, but at least we'll be able to go down to one car. Feel free to message me if you're looking for any other suggestions.

Last edited by Ninjak; 04-07-2017 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 01:39 PM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
I grew up in Miami and moved here in 95. The rents are high but you can make a good living here. Seattle is all about the money. They will sell their soul for the right price. Historical architecture gets torn down for the highest bidder and a boxy particle house goes up in its place. At first the weather wont bother you, but as you get older you will notice the gray more. Move close to your job because the commutes are brutal. Come join the fray.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 PM

231 posts, read 587,569 times
I did the opposite--Moved from Seattle to Boca Raton in 2014. I absolutely love it down here...Good luck up there. The gray skies, traffic and high cost of living really ruined it for me after living there over 25 years.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:08 AM

318 posts, read 950,836 times
As an FYI, the OP is asking for ADVICE about housing options in Seattle, not personal platitudes about how the city bothers you.

For the OP, what does your budget look like? Anywhere near Belltown will likely be astronomically expensive so if you're willing to stretch out your commute, you may want to think farther north, past the Ship Canal. Ballard, Fremont are potential options, though not cheap either. There are also very few places that aren't dog friendly.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Of course neighborhoods will vary but the latest Zumper report shows that there is only a $10 difference in 1bd rents between Seattle and Miami. Maybe its as much the area you are looking in as the city itself. 2 bedrooms actually show as more expensive in Miami.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2017/03/...-april-2017-2/

Old 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Look north. Greenwood, Bitter Lake, Haller Lake, Northgate, Lake City.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Look north. Greenwood, Bitter Lake, Haller Lake, Northgate, Lake City.
Northgate may seem like too far away, but there are express buses that zip you downtown via freeway bus lanes. If you're looking for affordability + an easy commute, that would be one way to go.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:09 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Northgate may seem like too far away, but there are express buses that zip you downtown via freeway bus lanes. If you're looking for affordability + an easy commute, that would be one way to go.
#41 from Lake City and Northgate via I-5: Route 41 - King County

#5 from Bitter/Haller Lake and Greenwood via Greenwood Ave/Aurora: Route 5 - King County

E-Line RapidRide from Aurora Village via Aurora/Hwy 99: RapidRide E Line - King County

D-Line Rapid-Ride from Crown Hill via 15th Ave W/Seattle Center/Belltown: RapidRide D Line - King County

Old 04-10-2017, 08:42 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
I did the opposite--Moved from Seattle to Boca Raton in 2014. I absolutely love it down here...Good luck up there. The gray skies, traffic and high cost of living really ruined it for me after living there over 25 years.
Boca vs. Miami = HUGE difference! Boca will even survive sea level rise a decade or two longer than Miami

I'm in the same boat. Lots of us Miamians voting with out feet, apparently.

Although I live in Miami Beach so the rents and parking situation over there are not much of a sticker shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: