Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM

361 posts, read 398,356 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving up to Kirkland area in the near future.

I am currently renting apartment here in the Auburn/Puyallup area. I spend around $1K a month for a one-bedroom apartment here.

How much is the average rent up in Kirkland? People tell me it's really expensive, but I am pretty sure there are affordable apartments around Totem Lake, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:32 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Totem Lake and Kingsgate are cheaper. For instance: https://www.zillow.com/b/sancerre-kirkland-wa-5XjLHx/

Don't expect anything near $1k, however. For any real selection, think $1,500-1,600+.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Totem Lake and Kingsgate are cheaper. For instance: https://www.zillow.com/b/sancerre-kirkland-wa-5XjLHx/

Don't expect anything near $1k, however. For any real selection, think $1,500-1,600+.

Oh okay. That price range is not too bad! But a little more than what I pay here in Auburn/Puyallup area

Old 07-12-2017, 04:21 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
From what I saw when I was looking to rent in Kirkland last month was that any 1 bedroom + apartment you would actually enjoy living in usually rented for $1,800 and up a month. There are many older and dated apartments or apartments built on very busy roads that you would not want to rent that are a bit cheaper. The Eastside has become another area in the Sound that is not very attainable to average working class folk. Even IT workers from what I am hearing are struggling to find good housing near the nicer parts of Redmond, Bellevue or Kirkland. There are some older and seedier sides of Kirkland like Totem Lake that are a bit cheaper. But most of these apartments will be older, run-down and may not have the most desirable elements of people living in them.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
From what I saw when I was looking to rent in Kirkland last month was that any 1 bedroom + apartment you would actually enjoy living in usually rented for $1,800 and up a month. There are many older and dated apartments or apartments built on very busy roads that you would not want to rent that are a bit cheaper. The Eastside has become another area in the Sound that is not very attainable to average working class folk. Even IT workers from what I am hearing are struggling to find good housing near the nicer parts of Redmond, Bellevue or Kirkland. There are some older and seedier sides of Kirkland like Totem Lake that are a bit cheaper. But most of these apartments will be older, run-down and may not have the most desirable elements of people living in them.
Sure, up near the hooker hotels and hospital. What did you expect, dude: can't touch anything west of 405 for less than a couple grand a month, seems-like. Totem Lake is waiting to be cleaned out and redeveloped, I wonder when someone's going to figure that out. For now, I personally figure that Rose Hill (North, and South) are where it's at in terms of relative bargains in Kirkland. Pinged Zillow, multiple hits for $1.5K to $2.0K (1, 2 bdrm respt).

Just my opinion, strolling around those neighborhoods on warm summer days. That pedestrian bridge on 100th makes it pretty easy to take a walk one side to the other.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I am specifically looking for apartments in the Totem Lake area, or actually, places near the hospital in Kirkland.

I have driven around there couple months ago, and the apartments complexes look pretty okay.

While I like the quietness of the Auburn/Puyallup area and my job/company, the people around here don't know how to drive (drive like turtles), people in general aren't really friendly out here (i.e. when I go grocery shopping, poor customer service, neighbors looking down at the ground when I pass them), and the big factor, is that most of my friends and people I have met at Meetup events live up north.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
I am specifically looking for apartments in the Totem Lake area, or actually, places near the hospital in Kirkland.

I have driven around there couple months ago, and the apartments complexes look pretty okay.

While I like the quietness of the Auburn/Puyallup area and my job/company, the people around here don't know how to drive (drive like turtles), people in general aren't really friendly out here (i.e. when I go grocery shopping, poor customer service, neighbors looking down at the ground when I pass them), and the big factor, is that most of my friends and people I have met at Meetup events live up north.
Right, which means those run down apartment complexes built in the 1970s on and around 124th? Yes, people understand what you're referring to, we live here. Nothing "wrong" per se with any of that, but it doesn't appear to have an urban core per se and that dead mall doesn't really count, that thing's been on the decline since I moved north of there in the late 1990s. Not sure what is left, because no one really wants to go there at-current. I chalk it up to retail in-general being on the decline.

I'm sure you'll be fine there, if that's your wish, which may be what you want to hear. Totem Lake area has little of the charm of, say, Moss Bay or Norkirk (south of 7th) which constitutes the bulk of apartments "downtown" Kirkland, in my observation. I'm not sure what anyone would see or do up there from those complexes, but hey: if they're competitively priced, that must be one of the last bastions Eastside and something to be said for that. The place is only ghetto compared to west of I405 neighborhoods, not in any objective sense.

I lived in a place a lot like Kingsgate a year out of college, I really didn't care and was a hairy biker dude anyway, probably part of the "bad element" in the neighborhood (another city). That's what I could afford, and I laugh now how reasonably priced it was even in 2017 dollars (maybe $1,500/month equivalent here in Seattle area).

Old 07-15-2017, 09:34 AM

44 posts, read 143,305 times
The Totem Lake Mall is currently undergoing a huge redevelopment. I am pretty excited about the upcoming changes.

Totem Lake Mall

http://centercal.com/coming-soon-village-totem-lake

Last edited by badgersgirl; 07-15-2017 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
...and the big factor, is that most of my friends and people I have met at Meetup events live up north.
To where do you commute?

For dating/social scene, where you live matters - the Auburn/Puyallup area is FamilyLand, at best. Distance and time to connect...

You might also look at Burien, which is also further north and has much better socializing prospects, and rents from $1,000 to $1,600:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...94_rect/12_zm/

Old 07-18-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
To where do you commute?

For dating/social scene, where you live matters - the Auburn/Puyallup area is FamilyLand, at best. Distance and time to connect...

You might also look at Burien, which is also further north and has much better socializing prospects, and rents from $1,000 to $1,600:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...94_rect/12_zm/

I usually commute up to Shoreline/Mulkiteo area, or the Bellevue/Factoria or Kirkland areas when I meet people. A good college friend lives in the Bellevue area, and another high school friend lives in Mulkiteo.

So as you can see, a long drive from Puyallup to those area is daunting to me. Not to mention the horrible traffic that I face when driving back down south along the I-405 or the I-5 freeway.

Yes, I can see that the Auburn/Puyallup area is a family-oriented area. If I were to be married with children, then yes, I would not mind buying a house out here. But I'm single, and it gets boring at times living down here. Not to mention how people down here don't know how to drive properly.

You have mentioned Burien. But for the profession I work in, there is no facility in that area that fits my job.

Is life for me going to be really that good if I were to move up to Kirkland? Not really. But in terms of driving distance, I'm closer to friends and better shopping areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area