Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Seattle is MUCH warmer in the winter than New England. There is no comparison.
This is good to hear!!!! It was winter that drove me away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Greenery and natural beauty is about the same in my opinion, just different in some ways.
For example, one thing about the Pacific Northwest though are the mountains. There is nothing like it, as you know, in New England.
The highest peak in New England (and most prominent east of the Mississippi River) is Mount Washington at 6,300 feet. Mount Rainier is over twice that, and there are well over 120 mountains that exceed Mount Washington in the state.
I don't mention that to be negative to New England, or to make it sound like it is 'better' here, just to prepare you for the breathtaking beauty of the Cascade and Olympic Mountain ranges once you get out here.

-Mike
Yes, I am aware the mountains are higher and more plenteous in Washington State. I look forward to taking my own pictures of the Cascades and Olympic Mountain ranges. One question; is the PNW humid as New England?

Old 10-31-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Cheaper Attractions:

* WSF walk-on ferry trip ($8.35/RT): Seattle/Bainbridge Island (1 hour, 10 minutes RT), Seattle/Bremerton (2 hours RT), Edmonds/Kingston (1 hour RT).

*King County Water Taxis: West Seattle/Alki ($5.25 cash one-way, 40 minutes RT), including free shuttles 773 (to Admiral District and Alki Beach) and 775 (to West Seattle Junction). Vashon Island ($6.25 cash one-way 44 minutes RT); Vashon bus routes 118 (Tahlequah Ferry to Tacoma) and 119 (Maury Island).

* Kitsap Fast Ferry ($10 westbound; $2 eastbound) between Bremerton and Seattle (1 hour RT).

* Self-Guided Transit Tour:

ORCA Card ($5, purchase at SeaTac Light Rail Station) provides free transfers (incl. return-trip) within two hours if fares paid through e-purse ($10-20?) on or between King County Metro Transit/Water Taxis, Sound Transit buses/light rail/Sounder, Seattle Streetcar, Community Transit (Snohomish County), Everett Transit, Pierce (County) Transit, Kitsap (County) Transit/Foot Ferry/Fast Ferry . E-purse can be used to pay WSF ferry fares. Excess fare due when transferring to a higher-fare trip.

Regional Day Pass added to ORCA ($8, activated on first use of ORCA card) pays fares up to $3.50 until 3 AM on regional transit systems (see above), except for WSF ferries or Kitsap Fast Ferry. Can add multiple Regional Day Passes.

Seattle Center Monorail (Westlake Center, $2.50 cash only/one way).

* The Comedy Underground Open Mic Night (Pioneer Square, $6).

* Nordic Heritage Museum (Ballard, $8).

* Winery/Brewery Tours/Tastings ($1-10): Bainbridge Island Vineyards & Winery ($3 donation), Columbia Winery (Woodinville, $5), Silver Lake Winery (Woodinville, $5), Novelty Hill/Januik (Woodinville, $10), The Woodhouse Wine Estates (Woodinville, $10), Redhook Brewery (Woodinville, $1).

* Stadium Tours: Safeco Field Tour (Sodo, $12); CenturyLink Tour (Sodo, $12); Husky Stadium Tour (UW, 2 PM Tues/Thurs, $10). Take Link Light Rail to the Husky Stadium Station.

* Seattle Japanese Garden (and Tea House) (at Washington Park Arbboretum, $6); Tea Ceremony ($10, reservations required; no jeans, bare feet, rings, and personal fragrances).

* Voluntary Park Conservatory (Capitol Hill, $4).

* Seattle Pinball Museum (International District, $15/one-entry $20/multi-entry) - play over 50 pinball games.

* Northwest Outdoor Center (Lake Union, kayak/paddleboard rentals $16/hr).

* Center for Wooden Boats (Lake Union, small sailboat $38/hr, rowboat $35/hr, canoe $30/hr, double kayak $30/hr, pedal boat $40/hr). Free boat rides (rain or shine) every Sunday (sign-ups begin, in-person, at 10 AM).

* Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour (Everett, 90 minutes, $25) - largest building in the world!

* Ski Shuttles from Seattle: Summit at Snoqualmie ($45/RT, Sat-Sun), Crystal Mountain ($50/RT, Mon-Fri). Crystal Mountain Gondola ($23).
Wow! This is fantastic! Thank you for being so thorough and detailed. Heck, if you don't you may want to work for the chamber of commerce. You have greatly assisted my research efforts.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:00 PM

489 posts, read 964,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Yes, I am aware the mountains are higher and more plenteous in Washington State. I look forward to taking my own pictures of the Cascades and Olympic Mountain ranges. One question; is the PNW humid as New England?
No.

-Mike

Old 10-31-2017, 09:12 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Humidity is not a problem in January. In August, however...

If you can see the mountains in January! We do get the rare crystal clear winter day, but being sheathed in clouds is more usual that time of year. To "see" the mountains, you might have to go to them - see the ski shuttle/gondola info in my previous post.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:27 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
This is good to hear!!!! It was winter that drove me away!
Average high in December in January is 46-47 degrees.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM

33 posts, read 302,914 times
I have been vacationing in Seattle about 10 times, half of it Dec/Jan. And I always loved it. Ferry rides, outdoor oyster shucking and indoor microbrew. But I am German anyways. Enjoy!

Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 PM

806 posts, read 604,501 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! Long story short, I have wanted to visit Seattle since 1996 when I lived in Charlotte! I was sitting at work and out of the blue I had a strong inclination to see your city. Well, twenty-one years later, I am planning to finally do it next year and wonder if January would be a terrible time to do so? Looking forward to your responses.
January is when everyone is dreaming of vacations to either Mexico or Hawaii. You should really rethink your timing. July thru September is the correct window to visit

Old 11-03-2017, 08:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
January is when everyone is dreaming of vacations to either Mexico or Hawaii. You should really rethink your timing. July thru September is the correct window to visit
There is no "correct" time to visit. There are just preferred times for *many* people. And some don't mind the rain and it might even be preferable to whatever temps are occurring from whence they came.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
I have heard about Seattle's infamous rain, but was told it is actually more of a light drizzle. In any event I can't imagine it being any worse than winter in New England where I grew up? I have also been told your summers are glorious, but short and will have to schedule another trip to experience it. Funny you mentioned Udub's bookstore as I kind of want to see the campus anyway. The San Juan islands are enticing. Gotta look up Bainbridge Island.
I grew up in New England and lived there till I was I was 18. TBH, I think it depends on what you consider "bad/worse." New England is snowy and cold while here it's rainy and cool/cold(not as cold as New England). Also, it doesn't rain hard here like it does on the east coast (though it can at times). It's typically just a drizzle hence why you will not see many people with umbrellas. However you get more sun in New England in winter. Also, here it's very much green during winter minus the deciduous trees of course that lose there leaves in fall. You will still see people mowing there grass in winter here for instance. New England the grass and such turns brown and everything is very barren and dead looking as the deciduous trees are much more abundant there. Some people find that worse (depressing even) while others find rain/grey here worse. Neither bother me but I'm not everybody lol. The only thing I hated about winters in the northeast is shoveling snow and the heating bill! lol. Summers on the other hand there is no comparison. PNW can't be beat IMO. It's glorious. Unless of course you are one of those east coasters that enjoy the beach than you wouldn't like it here lol. Beaches here are much colder and windier. Beach culture like on the east coast doesn't exist here. That said, the coastline here is absolutely stunning. If I were you I would try and come during July/August when you can explore and see more.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 11-04-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area