Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:22 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Damn. They say they're trying to be compassionate. My ass. If they were compassionate they would get those people out of the environment they're in so they can get well. A safe place to shoot up is just allowing the junkies to continue to do what is killing them. This is just idiocy.
I agree, this is a horrible idea. I don't understand why opioid addiction is so high in Washington. It was that way when I was younger too. In Texas where I live, people tended to favor cocaine or today maybe meth, but heroin use is not nearly as high as in Washington, or the West Coast and East Coast in general. I've always wondered why that is.

I can attest that it's not that hard to get over a cocaine or meth habit if you want to. All you have to do is get away from it. But opioids are a different story. That addiction follows you around for life. You can easily backslide like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who was a a teenage junkie who turned his life around until a couple of decades later when he got re-hooked after being prescribed painkillers by his doctor.

The best thing to do is try to eliminate it, not encourage it and give a safe place for it. The funny thing is that it's probably the same people who were instrumental in getting cigarette smoking banned in public spaces who want this. Heroin is not a victimless crime. It affects the people who aren't junkies just as much. Those people are still going to beg or steal to get their drugs. They're still going to want to be somewhere outside of an institution to do drugs, so it won't clear up the problem elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 11:02 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I certainly see both sides of this argument. However, I tend to agree with CrazyDonkey, if I understand his point...if Seattle can control this addicted population, in addition to offering treatment (something that gets lost here), doesn't that generally make it safer overall?

Please read what this all about. It is indeed a safe injection site, but it also looks to help and offer counseling and treatment for those addicted. Again, we tend to pick and choose what we want out of these proposals, and that isn't fair. As my link below points out, this is not a new idea. Has been used in Europe and Canada for years.

Seattle plans first safe drug-injection sites in the US | Politics | Al Jazeera
https://www.thecommononline.org/decr...-a-love-story/

Quote:
In 2001, nearly two decades into Pereira’s accidental specialization in addiction, Portugal became the first country to completely decriminalize the consumption of all illicit substances. Rather than being arrested, those caught with a personal supply might be given a warning, assessed a small fine, or sent to have a chat with a local dissuasion commission—a doctor, a lawyer, and a social worker—about treatment, harm reduction, and support services available to them. A bold stance was taken, an opioid crisis stabilized, and the ensuing years saw dramatic drops in problematic drug use, HIV and hepatitis infection rates, overdose deaths, drug-related crime, and incarceration rates. HIV infection rates, for example, plummeted from an all-time high in 2000 of 104.2 new cases per million to 4.2 cases per million in 2015. The data from what is now a decade and a half of largely positive results have been studied and held up as example, and have given weight to harm-reduction movements around the globe. It’s misleading, however, to credit these positive results entirely to a change in law.

Portugal’s remarkable recovery, and the fact that it has held steady through several changes in government—including conservative leaders who would have rather ushered in a return of the War on Drugs—could not have happened without an enormous cultural shift and collective change of heart around how the country viewed drugs, addiction, and itself. In many ways, the law was merely a reflection of transformations that were already happening in clinics, in pharmacies, and around kitchen tables across the country. Decriminalization as an official policy allowed for the pooled support and interconnection of a broad range of health, psychological, employment, housing, social, and cultural services that were already grasping to work together to serve their communities...
Quote:
Many Portuguese harm-reduction advocates have been frustrated by what they see as stagnation and inaction; they criticize the state for dragging its feet on establishing supervised injection sites and drug consumption rooms, for not making the anti-overdose medication naloxone more readily available, for not implementing needle exchange programs in prisons, and for not demonstrating the same bold leadership that led the country to decriminalize drugs in the first place.
Note that these results were achieved without "supervised injection sites and drug consumption rooms", which are simply an additional tool to reduce harm and facilitate treatment. More important is a shift in attitude, away from prohibitory and punitive "solutions" to addiction:

Quote:
Portugal’s policy rests on three pillars: one, that there’s no such thing as a soft or hard drug, only healthy and unhealthy relationships with drugs; two, that an individual’s unhealthy relationship with drugs often points to frayed relationships with loved ones, with the world around them, and with themselves; and three, that the eradication of all drugs is an impossible goal.
Portugal has implemented mobile Methadone clinics, which, rather than expecting their patients to travel to a central clinic, deliver maintenance doses where their recipients work, study, and live, allowing them to hold down jobs, go to school/get retraining, and lead otherwise normal lives.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
That ^^ what Crazy D said, agree 100%. This country is so stubborn sometimes - when you are talking about the situation requiring a cultural shift to make it work and I believe that it does . Everyone has to be on the same page and we are very polarized .

Seems like some people won't go for anything but," lock 'em up ,they are trash anyway" or a NURSE on another thread suggested some things ( "setting their tents on fire" and "rounding them up and sorting them like cattle ") which set this ranchers kid (me) on fire to hear a nurse say that and sorta makes me slightly afraid of who is taking care of me when I am under anesthesia . Which is often.

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 12-07-2017 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area