Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 23,211 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First time poster here and I've read many of the threads pertaining to this question, however I haven't really seen any directly corresponding to some of my questions so I'll fire them off and hope that I get some good responses

First off I'm looking at relocating to the Seattle area hopefully this summer. I'll be working on the west side of Lake Washington in between I-90 and 520.

I have a family of 4. Daughter of elementary school age, son who will be looking at attending a Vocational School (hopefully some type of Industrial maintenance course). I have lived in the puget sound area before (Lakewood WA and Tacoma WA) so I have some idea of what the area is like but my information is extremely dated (1993).

My wife is Filipina and my children are mixed so we are looking for a more diverse environment than where we are currently living. (Duluth, MN)

What I am looking for is a place to live with a decent (not necessarily spectacular) school system for my daughter. A good Vocational school fairly close by for my son. Low Crime rates. Decent public transportation close by so I can get to work within an hour or so (although longer time if I have to. I would really prefer public transportation as you save money and I don't want to be caught in the traffic with only myself in my car.) Diverse environment with hopefully a good number of Filipinos. And finally the most important requirement. I can't pay over $300,000 for a house. I don't really like condo's or townhouses and I'm more than willing to consider a mobile home or manufactured house in a family friendly park, but would prefer that it be on it's own lot. Foreclosed houses or fixer uppers are an option that I wouldn't rule out either.

I've been doing a lot of browsing and a few options look pretty good such as living in Federal Way, Des moine, Kent, Auburn, Renton, Spanaway to the south and then Everett, Edmonds, Mulkileo, Fairmount, Silver lake, Shoreline to the North.

Any other areas I should be looking at that would meet my requirements? The only things I am pretty inflexible about is the $300,000 limit on house prices, Low crime and decent school systems.

Is it a pretty good buyers market in the Seattle area? Prices coming down there or is it pretty flat?

Thanks for answering
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 13,721 times
May name is Maria .I'm living right naw in Thunder Bay,ON, Canada.My husband had an interviu for a job in Seattle area, Redmond .He is Senior Mecanical Disiner Engineer I looked at the house prise and I,m just shocked about haw high they are.......I want to ask people already leave in the area:If there is same housese and prises for normal people (as me).ANd also what do you think about Redmond.Is it the most expensiv area ????Do they have eny France Scools?? My kids go to a france school??

Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Prices are coming down here, and it's a buyer's market from the perspective of a lot to choose from, but they're still way too expensive. Very few houses under 300 thousand, but much better chance of finding one South rather than north (except maybe Everett). The Seattle area has a large Filipino population...I'd say Des Moines, Kent.Auburn, and Renton would fit your needs best..Spanaway and Federal Way might take too long to get to work.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Thank you for the response IRA500. I wouldn't mind living as far as Federal way/Puyallup/Spanaway as long as the public transportation is there and
relatively speedy/inexpensive.

What about this sounder train that I've been hearing about. I'm going to have to read about it.

Any more people have input for me? I'm really looking forward to getting back to this area. Me and my family absolutely love the ocean, diversity and even the weather is better than what I have here in Duluth.

Talk about Seattle Freeze? That's nothing to what it's like here in the Northland :P

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Any more insight on my questions from you bored forum posters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area