Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times

Advertisements

Yes, to all the bitter guys out there: all girls who won't have sex with you are lesbians, don't ya know. Seattle must be full of them.

Just because someone has short hair, drives an Outback, and believes in women's rights, it doesn't make them a lesbian. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Come on, malcontents! Less talking and more leaving!
Already left, a handful of years ago, didn't need any "coaching," 98125.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yes, to all the bitter guys out there: all girls who won't have sex with you are lesbians, don't ya know. Seattle must be full of them.

Just because someone has short hair, drives an Outback, and believes in women's rights, it doesn't make them a lesbian. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Not bitter, just clean-cut and selective. As for the bold part, it doesn't make them attractive, either.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:46 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
I've always thought that judging a city by the supposed attractiveness or unattractiveness of its people was pretty low, but since the topic came up, Seattle (for what it is worth), placed near the middle of Travel+Leisure magazine poll.

America's Favorite Cities|People|Attractive

Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 AM

98 posts, read 102,072 times
Aggregate reply:

Ambassador: good insights, actually. I don't disagree with most of your observations.

Robert: Although I think, from a fitness standpoint, people in the NW could be called attractive. I think the "look" you're describing is more lack of traditional femininity in their appearance. Some people in the NW seem to strive for androgyny almost as a political statement.

However, there are still plenty of attactive women in the area -- some from other places and some native. I think that, rather than all women looking like the stereotype (sere, lumpy, rumpled, etc), it's just that you see more of that here than other places, so it stands out.

I think toughguy's just what they call a troll or something, I don't see any merit in his statements about Italians. I lived for a time in Northern Italy (near San Marino), and the U.S. stereotype that all Italians are Sicilian or Neopolitan in appearance and behavior is erroneous. Also, I can see people from Northern Italy, who grew up with the Alps close by, appreciating the Cascades aesthetic.

The English weather is much worse than Seattle's, however, the British people make living there much more bearable. I really like and admire how the British manage to be polite and also friendly and approachable. I had a lot of fun in that country.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I saw few attractive women in Seattle and neither did my friends who visited. And so does foul-mouthed abrasive Tom Leykis who blasts SEA and PDX for the shortage of attractive women and the abundance of Tony Harding types. As the area becomes more cosmopolitan, that is changing.

Since I was going to UW at night while living there, I used to look around while driving over the Montlake Bridge or in Fremont, Ravenna or Wallingford. What did I see? Too many (grayish) short-haired women with their Sedona- bought Indian jewelry driving Subarus with bumper stickers like "Keep Your Laws off my body" (as if somebody might physically impregnate you? doubtful) or "The Goddess is Alive." It was depressing. We can't deny that there is a huge lesbian population in the NW.

There's also a Seattle joke book someone brought to work. It said "What do you call an attractive person in Seattle?" Answer: "A visitor."

Look, whether its attractiveness or aloofness or political correctness or whatever, these debates rage on...with passion. Evidently you've got divided experiences here. It's such a hotly debated topic that the major newspapers print articles about it, so let's not forget that!
Tom Leykis is a fool who has a grudge against the Seattle area because he got his a$$ kicked badly during one of his neanderthal gatherings in Belltown, by a native Seattleite no less. Imagine that, a passive Seattleite kicked the SH** out of him for humilating him on air. I actually used to like him and listen to him daily, until his shtick grew old and he became a parody of himself. Have you ever seen Leykis? Talk about a made for radio face. He has some stones to call other people ugly, I will give him that.

Last edited by toughguy; 04-03-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
Aggregate reply:

Ambassador: good insights, actually. I don't disagree with most of your observations.

Robert: Although I think, from a fitness standpoint, people in the NW could be called attractive. I think the "look" you're describing is more lack of traditional femininity in their appearance. Some people in the NW seem to strive for androgyny almost as a political statement.

However, there are still plenty of attactive women in the area -- some from other places and some native. I think that, rather than all women looking like the stereotype (sere, lumpy, rumpled, etc), it's just that you see more of that here than other places, so it stands out.

I think toughguy's just what they call a troll or something, I don't see any merit in his statements about Italians. I lived for a time in Northern Italy (near San Marino), and the U.S. stereotype that all Italians are Sicilian or Neopolitan in appearance and behavior is erroneous. Also, I can see people from Northern Italy, who grew up with the Alps close by, appreciating the Cascades aesthetic.

The English weather is much worse than Seattle's, however, the British people make living there much more bearable. I really like and admire how the British manage to be polite and also friendly and approachable. I had a lot of fun in that country.
Well put, it's that non-traditional androgynous look that is so off-putting. Some men may overlook it, but I think that most would not.

Funny you say that about the stereotype but both of my parents are from Sicily. The island was owned by Normandy for 200 years and I probably came from that strain. I get treated like a "local" in Northern Italy and get the "where are you from?" in Southern Italy....from right here, dammit, and then they get REAL nice, telling me about all their relatives in the states in places they can't pronounce correctly.

Yes, I got "stuck" in London for 2 days because I changed a return plane ticket and had to layover a little too long. Rainy in the last week in July, I could NOT believe how nice everyone was under such *****ty weather. EVERYONE! I gained an incredible admiration for them. And crappy weather doesn't necessarily make for a crappy personality, though it does in some countries. I spent a week in Quebec in October. Maybe it was because I retained my H.S. French, but EVERY SINGLE person in this French speaking province was incredibly welcoming and engaging.

So, yes, when visiting, the NWer will be compliant, detailed and polite, but the exchange will never be like it might in the UK and Ireland which are gray year round. If they were, these threads wouldn't exist.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-03-2008 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
Aggregate reply:

Call me a troll if you wish, I am just trying to give him a dose of his own medicine. I don't really feel that way about Italians, it was a toungue in cheek anecdote. My first girlfriend was a little Italian girl that I was smitten with - hair and all. I just don't take kindly to someone that insults my friends, family, and everyone I associate with by calling them unnattractive troglodytes. There is the popular sentiment that Northern Cal has cornered the market on smug, but as you can see our friend from SmelL-A is trying to take that title back.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Have you ever seen Leykis? Talk about a made for radio face.
He also has a grudge against Portland, calling it "Porkland."

Yes, and he is ugly. I might like having his money, but wouldn't trade places with him for it.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:09 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
There has been several posts in this thread mentioning Italians and Italian Americans, I wonder how many of you are aware that at one time Seattle had a fairly sizable Italian neighborhood nicknamed "Garlic Gulch" in what is now known as Rainier Valley.

The Italian immigrant population in Seattle wasn’t nearly as large as in some eastern cities or even San Francisco, but for Seattle at the time it was fairly large.

Many of the Italian immigrants did quite well. Among the more famous Italians in the city were Joe Desimone, one time owner of the Pike Place Market, Attilio Sbedico, professor of literature at the University of Washington, Henry Suzzallo former president of the University of Washington, and the first American Saint, Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area