Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Whats wrong with children being around young hip active urban people?
Nothing - but the area is a little "rough" ... that's not really the right word to explain it... but it's all I got right now. There are better neighborhoods for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I'll take a stab at it: The part of Capitol Hill around Broadway ; there would only be maybe a few other kids around, and there would be an inordinate amount of panhandlers and homeless folk and skateboarders with spiked dyed purple hair. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but a lot of parents like to feel that their kids are safe, and Broadway just isn't all that savory.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'll take a stab at it: The part of Capitol Hill around Broadway ; there would only be maybe a few other kids around, and there would be an inordinate amount of panhandlers and homeless folk and skateboarders with spiked dyed purple hair. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but a lot of parents like to feel that their kids are safe, and Broadway just isn't all that savory.
You can say it...there's something wrong with it. Well not the purple hair thing, that's not a big deal. But I had the same thought as the OP about who wants to live with the condom and syringe thing at any age. And if she thinks that, the area you're talking about isn't going to be acceptable.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Broadway has changed quite a bit since the 80's and 90's, it used to be an eclectic, but nice area, but anymore I try and stay away from the area.

I think the decline began several years ago when Pioneer Square began restricting alcohol sales, and the University District started cleaning up.

Also, I think the area was ruined when they first closed the theater in the Broadway Market and later when they closed the Broadway Market and turned it into a QFC.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 PM

8 posts, read 28,679 times
Well here's what I want to know: How many of you have spent some time on Broadway lately? I live on the north end of Capitol Hill, a few blocks up from Broadway, and I take my kids on walks several times a week down Broadway (we go to Cal Anderson Park quite a bit; also walk to QFC for groceries). The Broadway area was definitely in decline about two years ago... tons of panhandlers, vacant buildings, etc. But since then, there is so much new construction going on... new condos going up, new commercial space, and also the sound transit station on Denny & Broadway. An entire city block is about ready to be razed, making way for mixed residential/commerical space.

Captiol Hill is not "kid-centric". But there are definitely families with small children around here. I meet my friends and their kids at the neighborhood parks on a regular basis. We have a babysitting exchange with our neighbors, who also have small children. I don't think a day goes by where I don't meet someone else on the street pushing a stroller. Capitol Hill may not be known as a "family" neighborhood, but families do live here. Plenty of them. And from what I gather, we actually like living here as well!

One more thing: As for my whole take on the "Oh my gosh! Don't raise your kids around HOMELESS PEOPLE!!! EEEW!": Granted, living here is definitely not for everyone, but Capitol Hill is a far cry from the tough city streets of many American cities. If we could afford a bigger place here, I would happily raise my kids in this neighborhood with no reservations. I love it. I love the diversity, the vibrancy, the energy, and the people. So... just another opinion to take into consideration!

Last edited by jmueller8; 04-05-2008 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 AM

45 posts, read 295,391 times
Sorry if this post comes up twice, I'm not sure whats up w/my computer. What do you think makes a good area for kids? You say there are better, what is it you are basing this on? I'm a single mom. I want to be around people with kids but not only a "family" neighbordhood. I'm not exactly the soccer mom type, & I had blue hair while pregnant so those skateboarders def dont worry me

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Quote:
Captiol Hill is not "kid-centric". But there are definitely families with small children around here. I meet my friends and their kids at the neighborhood parks on a regular basis. We have a babysitting exchange with our neighbors, who also have small children. I don't think a day goes by where I don't meet someone else on the street pushing a stroller. Capitol Hill may not be known as a "family" neighborhood, but families do live here. Plenty of them. And from what I gather, we actually like living here as well!
I agree with this. There ARE families there. IMO there are just better neighborhoods for kids. That's all I am saying. I am NOT comparing it to skid row, or anything like that - I just think there are better areas. It was great when it was just my husband and I. He walked to his juicing job at Gravity Bar, I walked to my "Cheese Buyer" job at Rainbow Grocery - we walked into downtown for movies, we walked to Madison Market for groceries (we were some of the first members of the co-op).... it was great.

When we got pregnant, I felt more vunerable obviously and the area looked different to me. We walked down the street one night and there were two individuals performing explicit acts on each other under a street light, in a car, with the windows down - they wanted to be seen lol!!

We used to wonder about this young mom we would see EVERY DAY who got dolled up and put her baby in a stroller and just walked around pushing that thing all day long. The kid never got out... it's just a weird environment...

The last time I was in the area was slightly over a year ago... Yes, I don't doubt the area has changed a bit, and construction was going on... I just think there are... calmer? maybe? areas for kids.

Blue hair is par for the course in the Seattle area. You wouldn't even get a second glance in the suburbs... We aren't your typical "soccer" family either... my 4 yr olds first hair cut at one was a mohawk... I had all 3 of my boys mohawked before it was trendy and my husband has full sleeves and ear plugs... and we live in the suburbs (and have since our now almost 8 yr old was 1).

You will be fine where ever... you don't have to seek out "alternative" because alternative is peppered through out. I am not saying you NEED to go to the suburbs... even Central District, which is slightly above Capital Hill is less.... whatever the word is to describe Cap Hill. More residential... still you won't find TONS of families and kids for friends... but there is more than in Cap Hill.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
I agree with all of Jenbar's post. I live in Renton, technically a burb, although dt Renton is not so much. And I have a naval and tongue ring, would still have my nose ring if it didn't keep acting up on me, and would get a labret if I weren't worried about scarring.

Also have two recent tattoos...got some of this done at the tat and tat/piercing places that are in dt Renton. Which is cool because I used to go all the way to Lucky Devil in Seattle for it...much closer for me.

Anyway, point is, most of the suburbs are not that conservative, if that's what you're worried about. And really, it's not a far drive if you want get hip and urban in your free time. You could live in the suburbs and hang out downtown and still expose your daughter to that kind of lifestyle pretty easily.

Of course, living on $40K a year with a child in this area, and with acceptable (to you) schools is still going to be "toughin' it", IMO.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 28,679 times
I agree... blue hair won't get you second looks here, or anywhere around here. I also agree that there are definitely calmer places to raise your children than Capitol Hill. That is one thing I'm looking forward to regarding moving to the suburbs... I won't feel like I have to be as "on" all the time. Because you do have to be very aware and have your head up if you choose to live in a more urban area. The playgrounds are busy and lots of people are around and you really, really have to pay close attention to where your kids are, what they're doing, and (YES), what they're picking off the ground. Soooo, I will concede that there are more kid-"friendly" places to raise children... I just felt I had to defend Capitol Hill a bit. I really don't feel it's a place to "stay away from" as someone put it. What it lacks in some areas (it's not clean or quiet) it makes up for in others (it is very energetic and diverse). So I guess it boils down to what you want for yourself, what you want for your child, and how to strike a balance between the two so that your whole family is happy. Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:50 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
It's been over a year since I've been on Broadway. I'll have to check it out.
We took the kids there a lot when the Broadway Market was in full swing, and the theatre open, and lived in various locations on or abutting The Hill when I was younger..Summit and Denny, 12th and mercer, and 14th and Spring...Of those addresses, at that time only Summit and Denny was a bit slummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: