Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 PM

408 posts, read 431,306 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking to take a job in the Pioneer Square area near Kings Street Station. Any suggestion on places to live that are a bit more affordable than Seattle proper but still within an easy commute? I'm fine taking public transportation to work. The company would give me $100 per month for commuting.

I was somewhat considering Bremerton -- it's a lot cheaper and there's a direct ferry to Seattle which is a 35-minute ride. The monthly pass is just over $100. Has anyone done this? Is ferry commuting doable or more of a hassle than it's worth?

Any other places that are an easy bus ride/drive to Pioneer Square?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Hi Thinkpink.

Bremerton is very doable, just nap on the way over . Vashon Island has a direct passenger boat to Seattle Downtown. On the Seattle side, Beacon Hill and parts of Rainier Beach have light rail access to Seattle. You could also live in Tacoma, Everett, Kent or Mukilteo and take the commuter rail (The Sounder) in to King St Station. Northgate is also more affordable that Seattle proper, has good bus connections and is getting light rail in a couple years. Bainbridge Island has direct ferries too if you can afford it. In short, you have options.

Cheers,
Vince

Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 AM

408 posts, read 431,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Thinkpink.

Bremerton is very doable, just nap on the way over . Vashon Island has a direct passenger boat to Seattle Downtown. On the Seattle side, Beacon Hill and parts of Rainier Beach have light rail access to Seattle. You could also live in Tacoma, Everett, Kent or Mukilteo and take the commuter rail (The Sounder) in to King St Station. Northgate is also more affordable that Seattle proper, has good bus connections and is getting light rail in a couple years. Bainbridge Island has direct ferries too if you can afford it. In short, you have options.

Cheers,
Vince
I didn't even think about the Sounder rail; thank you!

Old 09-21-2018, 11:56 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I didn't even think about the Sounder rail; thank you!
Yeah, it's kind of funny, many people don't think of that as an option here but it very much is. People on Long Island, Boston, DC have done commuter rail commuting for years, perhaps it is more ingrained in the culture.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I was somewhat considering Bremerton -- it's a lot cheaper and there's a direct ferry to Seattle which is a 35-minute ride. The monthly pass is just over $100. Has anyone done this? Is ferry commuting doable or more of a hassle than it's worth?
Monthly passes:

Fast Ferry Only: $168

Bus (Kitsap) + Fast Ferry: $196

Puget Pass + Fast Ferry: $360

Puget Pass would also cover King County Metro and Sound Transit - you can easily walk from the FF dock to Pioneer Square, however.

The backup for the Fast Ferry is the WSF car (slow) ferry, which is an extra fare.

There are reduced passes/fares if on Medicare.

Fares | Kitsap Transit

Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
If you are working near King St Station, the Sounder train would definitely be a good option, as that is where its last stop is. I took the train in from Kent for many a year! Just so you are aware, the trains are very crowded and the parking garages fill up early! At least those in Auburn and Kent...if you moved to Tacoma, the situation might be better, but the ride would be longer!

Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
I used to commute on the Sounder Train from Everett to Seattle (In fact I worked in King Station for a bit) and that was by far the best commute I've ever had! The train is much faster then the ferry and or taking the commuter buses, and if you're able to simply drive or bus to the station you really have a relaxing ride that's almost always on time. You would also get to choose from Lakewood/Tacoma (possibly even better route vs Everett) and any of the towns/cities in between Everett and Tacoma that have stops like Edmonds up north or Kent and Puyallup down south

The only time the Sounder sucks is during the winter and early spring mud slides on the Everett/North route can block the tracks and sometimes even strand you at an earlier stop. A couple winters ago it happened to me on my way home and instead of ending at the Station they had everyone walk to Mukilteo Beach and try to catch a bus to wherever they needed to go which ended up being chaotic to the max. It only happens once in a great moon and most of the time if you take a later train they know ahead of time and make arrangements for a bus to take commuters to the station they need to go to.

Overall total commute time for me was 30ish minuets from King Station to the Everett Station. Taking the commuter buses from Everett was about 45min-1hr but it could also fluctuate greatly especially during the winter with bad weather. Once took me over 90mins once to get to work on the bus once and that was after leaving early!

Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
The main issue with the ferries or trains is that your work hours need to be very predictable, because there are relatively few departure times.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
I agree that the Sounder is MOSTLY reliable....but now that I'm retired, I still get the alerts on my phone when the trains are late or cancelled....and it happens pretty frequently....but now, I can just roll over and go back to sleep!

Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Redmond transit station- 45 min.
Mt Baker - 35 @end of line
Leschi- 35@eol
SeaTac using Link - 40.
Points in between, less time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area