Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 AM

7 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

I work for an ambulance company whose station is in what is basically a strip mall out in Sammamish. I am wondering if it is legal to put a single bed in one of the rooms for an off duty crew member to occasionally catch a few z's between close shifts. Since the station is not "lived in" per se, as all we have is a fridge and coffee maker, and nobody stays there more than a few hours at the very most in any point of time (the main purpose of the station is for ambulance supplies, lockers and crew changes, the bed would only be for short, occasional use) does this violate the zoning? Further concerns are that there are no extra points of egress in the office. We have one way in and out, with no windows, so that would be another question if the bed itself was not illegal, but would the lack of an emergency exit in any of the rooms make it illegal? Crew members already sleep on the couch.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I really don't know. Our supervisor is concerned about the zoning and lack of second egress, and the bed was my idea, so I figured I'd ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 05:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I can’t imagine why that would be illegal. Many businesses have a bed or cot, it’s not a bedroom for living, just a bed for resting. We have them in “quiet rooms” in our downtown Seattle office, no windows. Some ambulance companies have an apartment, others like yours use a commercial building, its normal. What about the fire stations, where people do live there for several days at a time, in commercial and industrial areas?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
I think you should be fine, as long as you keep a low profile and no one moves in permanently.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:19 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I think you should be fine, as long as you keep a low profile and no one moves in permanently.
Typically ambulance garages, fire stations, hospitals will have a bunk room for the on duty crew to rest (these would be those that have 24 hour or more work shifts). I doubt that it would be a code violation but jurisdictions will vary.

If it is transitioned to a crash pad for the guy whose wife kicked him out then there might be an issue (which sometimes happens at volunteer facilities).

Old 10-18-2018, 10:22 AM

806 posts, read 604,662 times
Probably not but why would anyone hassle you, especially considering you are serving the community!? Is there a window and a smoke detector?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:10 PM

It's mostly just a concern from my supervisor. There are no 24 hour crews at this location (they have separate stations that are zoned correctly) but I was just curious if a bed somehow made it different than a couch when they're both being used for a 45 minute power nap. Someone will occasionally (occasionally = once every month or two) sleep there for 4-6 hours if they have back to back shifts, sleeping on the couch, but there is no shower, no amenities to cook with beyond said coffee maker and fridge, it is just a small dark room that I want to set up a twin bed in for very occasional use.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Probably not but why would anyone hassle you, especially considering you are serving the community!? Is there a window and a smoke detector?
No windows, we only have the one front door. It is up to code with smoke detectors and such.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I know that both Rural Metro and Falck did/do it, there is no reason why AMR would be any different.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:33 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadgers View Post
It's mostly just a concern from my supervisor. There are no 24 hour crews at this location (they have separate stations that are zoned correctly) but I was just curious if a bed somehow made it different than a couch when they're both being used for a 45 minute power nap. Someone will occasionally (occasionally = once every month or two) sleep there for 4-6 hours if they have back to back shifts, sleeping on the couch, but there is no shower, no amenities to cook with beyond said coffee maker and fridge, it is just a small dark room that I want to set up a twin bed in for very occasional use.
If by chance a Code Enforcement officer should do an inspection (we inspect all businesses every 3 years) a couch in a break room would raise fewer questions than a bed.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Have you asked the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area