Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 04:03 AM

4 posts, read 3,868 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!

I got a new job at Microsoft and I’m trying to figure out where to live! A little about me. I’m finishing my dissertation while working full time. My dissertation topic is very rigorous and technical so it requires a lot of focus and time. Saving time is important to me!

I do like being social but due to needing to finish my dissertation, I doubt I’ll be going out more than 1 day a week. I tend to be a homebody simply because I have so many intellectual pursuits. Since I’m at home a lot, a beautiful home, with all the fancy upgrades is important to me. I also LOVE high-end shopping ie Tory Burch, Lululemon, etc , and I’m definitely a foodie. I eat out 5-7 days a week at nice restaurants. I also like living in very-walkable, beautiful areas. I’m originally from the suburbs albiet an area similar to Palo Alto.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to South Lake Union or Downtown Bellevue. The only hangup about SLU is I hear the commute even on the Microsoft connector is an hour each way? Personally I would prefer to use those 2hrs for other things like writing my dissertation. If the commute were shorter, like 30 mins each way, that would be better but I’m not sure if that is the case since I’ve never lived there. My only hangup with Bellevue is that I hear it’s boring. As a female safety is also a concern as I do not want to go out a feel as if I need to carry mace everywhere.

Thoughts are welcome, or suggestions of other neighborhoods...
Thank you ��

Last edited by Washgal; 11-23-2018 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 05:20 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
We are assuming, Microsoft @ Redmond?

Congratulations.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washgal View Post
Hello everyone!!

I got a new job at Microsoft and I’m trying to figure out where to live! A little about me. I’m finishing my dissertation while working full time. My dissertation topic is very rigorous and technical so it requires a lot of focus and time. Saving time is important to me!

I do like being social but due to needing to finish my dissertation, I doubt I’ll be going out more than 1 day a week. I tend to be a homebody simply because I have so many intellectual pursuits. Since I’m at home a lot, a beautiful home, with all the fancy upgrades is important to me. I also LOVE high-end shopping ie Tory Burch, Lululemon, etc , and I’m definitely a foodie. I eat out 5-7 days a week at nice restaurants. I also like living in very-walkable, beautiful areas. I’m originally from the suburbs albiet an area similar to Palo Alto.

I’ve narrowed down my choices to South Lake Union or Downtown Bellevue. The only hangup about SLU is I hear the commute even on the Microsoft connector is an hour each way? Personally I would prefer to use those 2hrs for other things like writing my dissertation. If the commute were shorter, like 30 mins each way, that would be better but I’m not sure if that is the case since I’ve never lived there. My only hangup with Bellevue is that I hear it’s boring. As a female safety is also a concern as I do not want to go out a feel as if I need to carry mace everywhere.

Thoughts are welcome, or suggestions of other neighborhoods...
Thank you ��
Son works at Redmond office. He lived in Bellevue and then downtown Seattle. I think he did tire a bit of the commute from Seattle especially after he started dating a girl in Bothell.

I personally prefer Bellevue but I do see the appeal of Seattle...I'm guessing you would tire of the commute from Seattle.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:00 AM

'find something temporary . 3 months or so before you commit for something of 12 months. Property managers are desperate. I went to an open house apartment (new) building in Bellevue, Nov 10. it was over priced. They offered first payment would be on Jan 01, 2019. A $500 bonus sign on for immediate occupancy.

Overlake, Redmond areas are putting up new buildings or just completed and open for occupancy. Within 30 minutes by bus.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Hi Washgal, How about Downtown Kirkland? It's much closer to Microsoft but in a much more walkable location. It also has an upscale feel, it sounds like you would enjoy that.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:09 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Washgal, How about Downtown Kirkland? It's much closer to Microsoft but in a much more walkable location. It also has an upscale feel, it sounds like you would enjoy that.
That, or just move into the Bravern in Bellevue and get it over with. Studio rentals start at $2,500, just looked it up, but man that's a nice place. Microsoft Research can pay handsomely, she'll be fine. Gorgeous shops and plenty to-do in the general area, not that I'm usually a Neiman Marcus type (but the steakhouse and other shops, yes indeed). Bus to main campus from not far away (Bellevue Transit) or downtown or...

Old 11-23-2018, 10:57 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Forget SLU. Consider Redmond, itself:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...32_rect/13_zm/

For "very-walkable, beautiful areas," you have Marymoor Park:

http://www.ci.redmond.wa.us/cms/One....69&pageId=4121

For "I eat out 5-7 days a week at nice restaurants," see:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/r...122.129999,15z

Shopping:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/s.../data=!3m1!4b1

or Uber to Downtown Bellevue...

Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Welcome to T-A!

Can you clarify that you're looking at renting and not buying? Also how many bedrooms? Dog? Car?

I'd echo downtown Kirkland as a place to look. If "boring" is an issue, I'd certainly give South Lake Union a pass.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:03 PM

I vote Redmond, there are three district's: Town center, Downtown, and on the Hill.
From Redmond TC, on the 545 express, SLU-Stewart is 3540 minutes, at commute time.
If you work in the International District, it's 45-50 minutes, I don't recommend living in Redmond/Bellevue and work in ID.

The 545 bus stops at MontLake for UDub.
Lots of new apartment buildings at completion of near completion. Lots of discounts.
I once a month visit wife in Redmond.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 PM

609 posts, read 303,289 times
In either case you should choose a spot that minimizes your commute. If you live in Seattle, pick a spot near the Connector stop or the last 542 or 545 stops before the highway and the commute will be closer to 30 minutes. Personally I found the 545 more convenient than the Connector because it came more often and was primarily MS employees anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area