Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:11 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

As traffic in the Seattle Metro area has worsened, I hear much more chatter than I used to about living near rail options, be it the close in light rail (or future light rail) stations of Beacon Hill, Columbia City, Capitol Hill, Bellevue, Lynnwood, Roosevelt, Shoreline, Mercer Island, Redmond, Northgate, or the Commuter rail options of Kent, Edmonds, Mukilteo, Everett, Tacoma, Tukwila, Auburn.

I'm curious: percentage wise, how much is access to rail a factor to you in where you plan to live in the future? I find myself starting to shift in thinking, taking light rail home from SeaTac, hopping on the train in Capitol Hill near my home and taking it down to the Othello Station for authentic Vietnamese food or up to U Dist Station for a game or event/museum on campus. I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

The light rail system in this region has been a bit of a joke for a while now but true progress seems to be happening. Usage is consistently exceeding projections. Like anything, it just takes time for people to alter their perceptions and habits, I guess.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 12-03-2018 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
It didn't used to be important to me at all until a station opened up near me. Now we take it downtown, to the airport, to the U-Dist for events, to the ID, etc.. If we were to move in the future, it would definitely matter. It makes getting around so much less stressful when you don't have to fight with traffic, or worry about where to park. Too bad it doesn't go near my work!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
We've utilized the Link ourselves for years now but we've now successfully converted my in-laws who had not been public transit users before (perhaps had NEVER used before, anywhere). The ease of getting to Husky Stadium was a revelation to them. My 80 year old FIL is remarkably fit but getting to the Husky games (we have season tickets) is a challenge even living just three miles south of the stadium. Montlake grinds to a standstill well before the bridge, the stadium a significant trek away. Last year one gameday I proposed dropping everyone off at the Capitol Hill station instead, and we've never looked back.

Now my BIL openly remarks he is looking forward to the Northgate Station opening and - gasp! - has even started taking the bus to his office in Bellevue after two decades of driving across 520. It's a sea change within the family, for sure.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:21 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
As seniors, We try to take advantage of the reduced fares and to keep public transportation full during off-peak hours.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:01 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
I wish it was closer - I live in West Ballard. When will the Monorail get here? (Oh, never mind...)

Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM

337 posts, read 494,857 times
I lived on the light rail line and really liked it, when I moved it was painful to go without it. I bought a house about two blocks from where the Mountlake Terrace station will go however the city re-zoned my block for townhouse development. That means some developer will offer me a price I can't refuse for my property (which is good), with the result that it probably won't be worth it to buy another place along light rail. At that point i'll just leave the Seattle metro area altogether, i've had enough of this BS.

But light rail is convenient, no question. I'm going to try to move to a city which already has good mass-transit.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
I take a lot of buses so it doesn't really matter to me too much. I do use the light-rail as well but I tend to use the new trolley more (Cap hill to Pioneer Sq). I have friends up in Roosevelt and that area is growing at an alarming rate. The station there is definitely drawing more building to the area. The number of new low rise apartments is something else. Sadly it's only making driving/traffic worse. heh Time will tell if the light-rail changes that much.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I take a lot of buses so it doesn't really matter to me too much. I do use the light-rail as well but I tend to use the new trolley more (Cap hill to Pioneer Sq). I have friends up in Roosevelt and that area is growing at an alarming rate. The station there is definitely drawing more building to the area. The number of new low rise apartments is something else. Sadly it's only making driving/traffic worse. heh Time will tell if the light-rail changes that much.
They can run four-car trains at three-minute headways through the transit tunnel. Right now they're running two- to three-car trains at eight- to 12-minute headways. That'll be sufficient for current construction, but to go beyond it (and to Ballard and West Seattle) will require a second tunnel.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Very important.

Not only in the near future but long-term.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
I'm a huge supporter of any public transportation and if in the future we were to move back to Seattle it would be a priority. I'd definitely pay $$$ to live somewhere where I can ditch the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area