Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should area government give even one dime to pro sports while foster children go under-funded?
yes 12 38.71%
no 17 54.84%
other (please explain below) 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
We have money for pro sports, but not for foster children.

That's how liberal Seattle voters show their real compassion.
Complete nonsense as the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Can some Seattleites support both a major league team and other services that help the community? Of course they can. This whole thread is based on a pretty silly premise, IMO.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-11-2018 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 PM

426 posts, read 527,267 times
There is a lot of generosity here people take for granted. So much money is given to the disadvantaged. The real issue is that it's not used effectively. This has nothing to do with pro sports.

If we're asking this question, how about we focus on cancer and heart disease too. These are primary killers.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Complete nonsense as the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. Can some Seattleites support both a major league team and other services that help the community? Of course they can. This whole thread is based on a pretty silly premise, IMO.
I actually admit that there is something to this in terms of logic--it's called the 'false dilemma' fallacy.

However, in practice, it does not pan out. We have only so much tax revenue. If we spend a dollar on a hockey stadium, that's a dollar we can't spend on foster children. We could raise taxes, but that probably won't fly politically. So in practice, it is not a 'silly premise.' It's reality.

The gov't budget is no different from the family budget. Everything should be prioritized, and the top priorities get the first spending. If your kids don't have enough to eat, you're probably not going to spend a few hundred dollars taking the family to a Seahawks game.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,771 times
If only you knew how much the Seahawks gave back to the community , I am sure someone else could comment about the Mariners IDK , but I have gone to many fundraisers. Most if not all the players have their own foundations or causes and they are almost always for children in need in many ways . This is an old incomplete list but all of these foundations are still very active and there are now more of them and they are all for children .
I know this list will not be enough but Like PNWGuy , I will have to agree to disagree . I know what they do for kids everyday .

https://www.seattlefoundation.org/no...rs-action-fund

Michael Bennett of Seattle Seahawks to donate endorsement money in 2017
No. 1: Spirit of 12 Partners Program

Who: The Spirit of 12 Partners Program was founded under the umbrella of the Seattle Seahawks Charitable Foundation in 2004.
What: The program allows local nonprofits to sell the Seahawks Gameday Magazine at regular season home games. The organization keeps the profits and then the Paul G. Allen Family Foundation matches it. Lavender said this program has been particularly successful at funneling dollars right back into the community.

No. 2: Legion of Youth

Who: Boeing and the Seattle Seahawks

What: Gives 100 regular season home game tickets to a local youth-focused group or organization.

No. 3: A Better Seattle

Who: Pete Carroll (Head Coach)

What: This community initiative works to reduce violence by funding and training outreach workers who work directly with at-risk youth.

No. 4: Russell Okung's UP Foundation

Who: Russell Okung (Offensive Tackle)

What: Works with children of single-parent homes to foster leadership and show the importance of education.

No. 5: Kam Cares Foundation

Who: Kam Chancellor (Safety)

What: Builds communities by helping under-represented or under-served community members.

No. 6: Marshawn Lynch Fam 1 st Family Foundation

Who: Marshawn Lynch (Running Back)

What: Empowers and educates underprivileged Bay Area youth.

No. 7: Cliff Avril Family Foundation

Who: Cliff Avril (Defensive End)

What: Works with youth with juvenile diabetes to help develop good nutrition and exercise habits and provides financial assistance to those caring for children with type 1 diabetes.

No. 8: Blanket Coverage – Richard Sherman Family Foundation

Who: Richard Sherman (Cornerback)

What: Provides students in low-income communities with school supplies and adequate clothing.

No. 9: Earl Thomas III Guardian Angel Foundation

Who: Earl Thomas III (Safety)

What: Provides free summer football camp for children in his hometown, as well as food and clothing drives.

No. 10: Derrick Coleman Jr. NO EXCUSE Foundation

Who: Derrick Coleman Jr. (Fullback)

What: Helps those with hearing loss to believe there is 'No Excuse' not to achieve dreams. Also works to stop bullying of hearing impaired and others with disabilities.

No. 11: OCEAN Health

Who: Michael Bennett (Defensive End)

What: Fights obesity through community development and education.

No. 12: Ben's Fund

Who: John Schneider (General Manager)

What: Provides grants to families in Washington state who care for people who fall on the autism spectrum.

https://12thmanrising.com/2017/02/17...during-season/

I realize you do not like the Seahawks but the things they currently do for children in the area and all across the US is outstanding and they are always doing something with masses of children .

Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Yes. This is what I said at the beginning of this thread.

Again, a professional team offers great revenue to a city, allowing many to give back. This is the way it should be. As opposed to letting the nanny-state try and take care of all our ills.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I actually admit that there is something to this in terms of logic--it's called the 'false dilemma' fallacy.

However, in practice, it does not pan out. We have only so much tax revenue. If we spend a dollar on a hockey stadium, that's a dollar we can't spend on foster children. We could raise taxes, but that probably won't fly politically. So in practice, it is not a 'silly premise.' It's reality.

The gov't budget is no different from the family budget. Everything should be prioritized, and the top priorities get the first spending. If your kids don't have enough to eat, you're probably not going to spend a few hundred dollars taking the family to a Seahawks game.
The theory includes the idea that teams make cities grow economically and otherwise, which adds to the tax base. It's obviously more complex than that, and it's impossible to really compare a do/don't scenario, but in the long term it might be closer to the truth than what you posted.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:33 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Sports are woven into the fabric of many of our lives. All you need to do is look at the Colosseum in Rome which was built starting in 70 AD to understand people crave sports and competition. It's a natural outlet for those of us that bust our butts at work. Sure the money could be better spent for __________ fill in the blank (countless causes). But sports will always be high priority in a major city and I don't see much room for compromise.

History agrees. I'm sure there were plenty of poor and disadvantaged Romans back in 70 AD that could have used the money spent instead on the Colosseum, but that's life. Nobody ever said life is fair.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:58 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Mmm, I give to charity every month via my paycheck, so my conscience is clear. I don't see a need to hold sports stadiums as hostage to fixing some social issue. There will always be social problems that need fixing, regardless of how much money you pour into it.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes. This is what I said at the beginning of this thread.

Again, a professional team offers great revenue to a city, allowing many to give back. This is the way it should be. As opposed to letting the nanny-state try and take care of all our ills.
This would only be a good argument if numbers were supplied, and the totals added up to more than the $1 billion cost of building the stadiums (along with other subsidies provided, such as Sound Transit subsidization of transporting clientele (fans) back and forth from the games.

I asked for numbers, since you said that the amounts "would surprise most," (implying that you have the numbers), but you never responded.

Remember a billion is a lot of money. It's $1 million, 1 million times over. Are you prepared to claim that the Seahawks have donated that much?

Also of course, the rub for any charity operation is how much of the money actually gets to the end recipient. If it's a very low percentage, it's just a marketing operation masquerading as charity. None of the long list supplied by the above poster provides any of that info, hence the argument fails.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The theory includes the idea that teams make cities grow economically and otherwise, which adds to the tax base. It's obviously more complex than that, and it's impossible to really compare a do/don't scenario, but in the long term it might be closer to the truth than what you posted.
We covered this earlier in the thread; see post #7
http://www.city-data.com/forum/53821600-post7.html

Quote:
In their book, Sports, Jobs, and Taxes, Roger Noll and Andrew Zimbalist present a comprehensive review of stadium investments. In all cases, they find a new sports facility to have extremely small (or negative) effects on overall economic activity and employment. Furthermore, they were unable to find any facilities that had a reasonable return on investment.
The economic growth claims have been debunked over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: