Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle - how do you feel about the yearly sun hours in Seattle
It's perfect 15 33.33%
I wish there was more 11 24.44%
It's too much, give me more clouds 7 15.56%
Give me lots more please 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoyaho View Post
Need ~2 hr more sun in winter, ~1hr less sun in summer
lol. Move to the equator. It's the same amount of sunlight year-round, there. Check out the mountains, in Ecuador.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol. Move to the equator. It's the same amount of sunlight year-round, there. Check out the mountains, in Ecuador.
Ruth, I love Cuenca, have you been there?

Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 PM

301 posts, read 312,822 times
To me it's perfect. I grew up in Europe in a very similar city latitude-wise, only much muuuuuch colder. To me the winter darkness feels very natural and I like it, it always gives winter this cozy feeling and adds overall seasonal variance, without variance it feels like I am in groundhog day movie. We just spent a little over a week in Hawaii and I honestly was looking forward to returning back into this comfy cozy PNW coolness without sun constantly burning down on me.

From my winter memories in Europe what really was wearing out people was cold. Snow and all is fun but after 3 months of having to wear all the heavy clothes, when even a trip to corner store feels like you are preparing for a space walk (pair of socks, under pants, second pair of socks, second pants, boots, t shirt, sweater, may be another sweater, coat, gloves, hat, scarf, ... you get the idea), it really gets under your skin and you start counting days until this all ends. Here on the other hand it's perfection - same experience but winter is super warm and when you want to have snow fun, you can just drive 1h in any direction).

If I were picky, I'd may be wish to dial sun down a bit in summer. Last summer those weeks without rain were getting rough but I did appreciate very much that the temperatures still stayed cool.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,304,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_b View Post
To me it's perfect. I grew up in Europe in a very similar city latitude-wise, only much muuuuuch colder. To me the winter darkness feels very natural and I like it, it always gives winter this cozy feeling and adds overall seasonal variance, without variance it feels like I am in groundhog day movie. We just spent a little over a week in Hawaii and I honestly was looking forward to returning back into this comfy cozy PNW coolness without sun constantly burning down on me.

From my winter memories in Europe what really was wearing out people was cold. Snow and all is fun but after 3 months of having to wear all the heavy clothes, when even a trip to corner store feels like you are preparing for a space walk (pair of socks, under pants, second pair of socks, second pants, boots, t shirt, sweater, may be another sweater, coat, gloves, hat, scarf, ... you get the idea), it really gets under your skin and you start counting days until this all ends. Here on the other hand it's perfection - same experience but winter is super warm and when you want to have snow fun, you can just drive 1h in any direction).

If I were picky, I'd may be wish to dial sun down a bit in summer. Last summer those weeks without rain were getting rough but I did appreciate very much that the temperatures still stayed cool.
I'm with you Eugene, I've always found it a comfortable climate here too. As weird as that may sound to some of you, there are lots of us who feel the same way. I like the flow of the seasons. I love getting out my light sweaters, then heavier ones, then coats and hats, the lighter ones again, then my shorts and flip flops. I travel other places, it's fun to visit for awhile but the temperature can feel way to cold or way too hot. Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, it feel just about right for me here.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 AM

10 posts, read 4,733 times
Don't get me wrong, I love Seattle, but the number of cloudy days did stink. I grew up there, so I never made a big deal about all the cloudy days because it was all I never knew. Though, once I moved away, I realized what I was missing, and I genuinely felt happier. Seattle also has a very high depression rate as a result. But hey, every city has great things and bad things. I truly think Seattle has some of the best summers in the US.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:45 AM

30,374 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson7 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love Seattle, but the number of cloudy days did stink. I grew up there, so I never made a big deal about all the cloudy days because it was all I never knew. Though, once I moved away, I realized what I was missing, and I genuinely felt happier. Seattle also has a very high depression rate as a result. But hey, every city has great things and bad things. I truly think Seattle has some of the best summers in the US.
I grew up in the South so I always loved the PNW summers but have always dreaded the months of gray drizzle. My kids grew up in the PNW and it doesn't bother them as much but they all like to take a break sometime in the winter and go to either Hawaii or Mexico for a week to break it up.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:05 AM

157 posts, read 187,071 times
Jackson7, out of curiosity, when you moved away, was it to somewhere else with normal weather... or to California?

No doubt lots of places have more pleasant winters than Seattle. But outside of CA, the places with better winters tend to have terrible summers.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,254 times
Could be better, could be worse. Late November through late February/early March can be a bit rough on those grey days, but the rest of the year isn't too bad.

The summers beat most other US metros IMO - but I'd still be willing to take a bit shorter of summer days in exchange for some more daylight hours in the winter. Maybe by northern European standards we have it pretty good, but 4PM is still too early to get dark for my taste .

Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Too much sun in the summer. Want more clouds.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Since 2012, Seattle has become wetter October thru April, warmer and drier May thru September.

Attached Thumbnails
Your feeling on sun hours in Seattle?-1.jpg  

Last edited by Botev1912; 01-03-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: