Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 10,082 times

Advertisements

I'm curious on what transplants love about the area and why you decided to stay? I'm really interested in those in their 30's/40's and singles/couples with no kids. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,213,416 times
Being in Seattle really makes you appreciate where you used to live

Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM

102,405 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
That's definitely true, depending on where you used to live.

OP, I'm one who didn't stay, for various reasons, but I was there a long time. The Seattle area has grown since I left, and there's a lot more going on now, in terms of weekend entertainment, a more diverse music scene, and so on, as some posters here pointed out to me, so one could plausibly say, that things have improved since I left in the 2000's. There are much more opportunities to socialize at the greater variety of events. I'm trying to be objective here, and not bash Seattle, because I sense, that your question is really about what kind of a life would there be for singles in the age range you give.

But as with most things in life, it's what you make of it. So you do have to be outgoing and friendly, and also--get involved in local groups and activities. Join hobby groups, bike or hiking or boating clubs (some have singles events), scope out what's available along your lines of interest. This is not a panacea; it may take awhile before you meet a kindred spirit, but without joining stuff, you'll get nowhere, without a lot of luck. That's pretty much how it works in the NW.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:19 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,206,019 times
Quote:
Sounds like a classic case of home sick.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBee1680 View Post
I'm curious on what transplants love about the area and why you decided to stay? I'm really interested in those in their 30's/40's and singles/couples with no kids. Thanks!
K, I behave like an overgrown 21 year old sometimes, albeit one with resources, so I'll bite at 51:

I'd sooner be dipped in batter and friend in hot grease with the rest of the donuts than be married, or in another sort of LTR, at this time at least. There is a tolerable dating pool her for both men and women, in very(!) different ways. I'm no Lothario but don't have terribly much trouble finding interesting dates, female in my case. But "they" say it can be tough for both here. I'm skeptical.

The job opportunities are immense, per some studies top-10 and sometimes top-5 in the US in certain fields. What those are, you should already know. Tons of threads on that here and elsewhere. If you are not in a hot-skills field, life can be very much harder though. I did read, though, that there are two strong bi-modal distributions here, in terms of income. One low, one high. Those who can continue and live the American dream and those who struggle to make it.

Plenty to do here, though not quite as interesting at San Francisco or LA. Size seems to be on-part with San Diego. Vastly different climate, clearly.

Fresh water. Fresh air, until the burning starts in the summer, then we're smoked-in like Beijing for a couple weeks.

I'll stand on that. I'm sure not leaving here next ten years or so, maybe not even after that.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM

301 posts, read 316,277 times
A couple in 30s without kids. We love it here because tech jobs are very strong while CoL is fairly low (compared to other tech hubs) which works well for this family of two software engineers. Aside from that, Seattle satisfies my wife’s culture-related hobbies (eg it’s one of the few US cities with a legitimate opera) as well as my mountaineer aspirations (I still can’t believe the beauty and epicness of places that are just a 1-2hr drive away). Things like ocean and very pleasant climate are the cherry on top of cake. Time will tell if we stay here but it’s the first place we’ve lived in a decade of travels where we really like and so far it has beaten our expectations by a big margin.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:59 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,213,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Sounds like a classic case of home sick.
No, but would you really rather live in Seattle than Oragme County CA?

Luckily for me seattle isn’t a full time deal and as soon as family situations allow it’ll be a no time deal

Old 02-02-2019, 04:26 PM

806 posts, read 610,703 times
Best sushi across the spectrum of prices.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:01 PM

102,405 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Best sushi across the spectrum of prices.
But, Borat, there are no decent Russky restaurants!

Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,206,019 times
Quote:
No, but would you really rather live in Seattle than Oragme County CA?

Luckily for me seattle isn’t a full time deal and as soon as family situations allow it’ll be a no time deal
Orange county? I wouldn't mind checking that out to live. But in the moment I would rather be here. By Seattle. There's just way to much I have to do and see here. 5 years down the road? Who knows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: