Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:33 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times

Advertisements

Folkguitarist555, so just up and move already! I sold my house and moved when I retired.....can rent a nice two-bed/two-bath apartment here for less than you are saying it costs to rent a room in Seattle. If you've had enough, just leave! There are plenty of other cities in the country that are less expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 11:32 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I myself live up north, and its expensive as hell even up north...Snohomish county. There are tons of homeless all over Everett. I myself am getting the hell out of dodge this summer. I heading to the Midwest or to the South. I can rent a mobile home on a 1/4 acre for $800 a month or less all day long in those parts if you know where to look.
Rents are cheap in Mt. Vernon. People are going to end up commuting from there to Seattle. Demand to extend light rail or commuter buses all the way up there are right around the corner...

The problem with moving to the Midwest or South is that you're stuck with their horrible weather; HEAT, humidity, and have you read about the prairie fires, burning down entire towns? Started by lightning, mostly. Yes, OK, Seattle is heating up, there are more heat waves, but it's not fetid, like the South, and it's not full of weird insects, like the Midwest. Where do you go canoeing/kayaking, in the Midwest? Where are the mountains, and the cedar forests? And what about the social scene; isn't that where everyone's married by their mid-20's?

You might be like some people on the CA forums; they bailed, due to high COL, tried out another region of the US, and are absolutely desperate to get back into CA, but are now locked out, price-wise. Sad, very sad.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
hmmmm, what kind of weird insects???? I always thought that was like a Florida thing??!!! Actually, some of us prefer four actual seasons....I don't think you should be so fast to shoot down the Midwest....maybe if you're talking Iowa or Nebraska...but there are plenty of options that are nowhere near as expensive as Seattle, but completely fine. I just think if you are as miserable as the OP sounds, it's time to look at into some of those other options.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
hmmmm, what kind of weird insects???? I always thought that was like a Florida thing??!!! Actually, some of us prefer four actual seasons....I don't think you should be so fast to shoot down the Midwest....maybe if you're talking Iowa or Nebraska...but there are plenty of options that are nowhere near as expensive as Seattle, but completely fine. I just think if you are as miserable as the OP sounds, it's time to look at into some of those other options.
Weird insects, like "walking sticks". GAH! And why are the Midwest and South the only options? What about Montana or Idaho? Coastal or central Oregon? The Columbia River area: Camas, Washougal, Skamania? Though, OK, Midwest-wise, I hear the Ozarks are nice...

Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Weird insects, like "walking sticks". GAH! And why are the Midwest and South the only options? What about Montana or Idaho? Coastal or central Oregon? The Columbia River area: Camas, Washougal, Skamania? Though, OK, Midwest-wise, I hear the Ozarks are nice...
Hey, I love walking sticks! I think they’re cute.

No less weird than banana slugs, I daresay. though I like those guys as well.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Credit check reveals your past. If you’ve screwed over one landlord what makes them think you won’t screw over someone else?

This is arrogant and typical of a Seattle elitist who disdains lower income folks and families in the region. A lower credit score usually has nothing to do with screwing over a landlord. I have excellent rental references.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-20-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Folkguitarist555, so just up and move already! I sold my house and moved when I retired.....can rent a nice two-bed/two-bath apartment here for less than you are saying it cost to rent a room in Seattle. If you've had enough, just leave! There are plenty of other cities in the country that are less expensive!
You bet I leaving. I got plenty of options..from West Virginia to Kentucky, to Missouri..to Indiana. It will take some time to decide to where exactly. But I am researching.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-20-2019 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rents are cheap in Mt. Vernon. People are going to end up commuting from there to Seattle. Demand to extend light rail or commuter buses all the way up there are right around the corner...

The problem with moving to the Midwest or South is that you're stuck with their horrible weather; HEAT, humidity, and have you read about the prairie fires, burning down entire towns? Started by lightning, mostly. Yes, OK, Seattle is heating up, there are more heat waves, but it's not fetid, like the South, and it's not full of weird insects, like the Midwest. Where do you go canoeing/kayaking, in the Midwest? Where are the mountains, and the cedar forests? And what about the social scene; isn't that where everyone's married by their mid-20's?

You might be like some people on the CA forums; they bailed, due to high COL, tried out another region of the US, and are absolutely desperate to get back into CA, but are now locked out, price-wise. Sad, very sad.
Rents are not cheap in Mt Vernon. I don't care about mountains, kayaking, hiking, and etc. Having spent time in Kentucky, Missouri, and West Virginia...I cant wait to meet and greet and make new friends in such places. Those folks are lovely and about 1000 more times friendly and social then reserved, moody, smug, and snobby Seattleites.. The horrible social scene in Seattle has sucked for decades.

Even rents in Tacoma and all of the south end are getting outrageous.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...128811929.html

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 03-20-2019 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
A place like White Center, Burien or Lynnwood might be more affordable.
Not anymore

Old 03-20-2019, 06:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Rents are not cheap in Mt Vernon. I don't care about mountains, kayaking, hiking, and etc. Having spent time in Kentucky, Missouri, and West Virginia...I cant wait to meet and greet and make new friends in such places. Those folks are lovely and about 1000 more times friendly and social then reserved, moody, smug, and snobby Seattleites.. The horrible social scene in Seattle has sucked for decades.

Even rents in Tacoma and all of the south end are getting outrageous.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...128811929.html
This could be the catalyst toward a happier life in a more suitable area. It may be inconvenient but in retrospect, it could be a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area