Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 20,823 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new job in September as an employee for Amazon at the South Lake Union Campus. Where should I be looking at for apartments?
I am planning on having a car, but I would still prefer to be fairly close by so I don't have to drive too long everyday. If I can be 30mins or less away from work, I would be pretty happy. This does mean that having accessible parking would be very important to me (I am terrible at parallel parking). I would like to keep my rent below $1500/mo if possible. I will be living by myself, so I just need a one-bed room place, but I would prefer not to have roommates.

What areas should I be looking at and what are the pros/cons? Any help or links to relevant information is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:01 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
NullPointer, What kind of things do you like being near? Do you like neighborhoods, like to be able to walk to things like pubs and restaurants, like a more relaxed or vibrant feel? Are you a person who likes funky eclectic areas or more suburbs?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 20,823 times
Hmm...that's a good question. I think I do not have much preference whether I would like to be closer to neighborhoods or something else. The ability to walk to restaurants would be nice to have, but I will have a car, so it's not a top priority. I think I would prefer a bit more vibrant feel, especially since I feel like the suburbs would be a bit farther away to my workplace than I would like (I might be totally wrong). I definitely like random eclectic places and cool little stores.

Overall though, I would say finding a place that's fairly closer to where I work and not exorbitantly expensive is much more important than everything I just said in the above paragraph.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Some places to check out, some of the more interesting parts of town: Fremont, Columbia City, Capitol Hill, International District (ID), Ballard, University District. You may have to swell your budget a bit but it will be worth it . Welcome (almost) to town!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullPointer333 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am starting a new job in September as an employee for Amazon at the South Lake Union Campus. Where should I be looking at for apartments?
I am planning on having a car, but I would still prefer to be fairly close by so I don't have to drive too long everyday. If I can be 30mins or less away from work, I would be pretty happy. This does mean that having accessible parking would be very important to me (I am terrible at parallel parking). I would like to keep my rent below $1500/mo if possible. I will be living by myself, so I just need a one-bed room place, but I would prefer not to have roommates.

What areas should I be looking at and what are the pros/cons? Any help or links to relevant information is appreciated! Thanks!
The closer you get to South Lake Union, the more you will have to deal with paying for parking. You can see a map here: SDOT - Restricted Parking Zone Program (RPZ)

Many of the neighborhoods around South Lake Union require parking permits, and there is also limited parking due to limited space. So, you may have to pay for parking. That will be an expense that you will need to consider in your $1500/mo budget, and having to pay for parking may put you over that budget easily. That is especially true since the average cost in areas surrounding South Lake Union (read: within a 30 minute radius) will likely cost $1800+/mo before you figure in parking.

Rent Too High? Compare Seattle

Bottom line: you can pay in money, or you can pay in time. But, especially around SLU, it's unlikely that you will get both (very rarely do lower-priced rentals enter the rental market), and it'll be important to figure out which one is more important to you: your time or your money.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:19 PM

486 posts, read 842,418 times
If you want to venture to Kent...these are nice..and right near Kent Station (Restaurants, Movie, Shopping, Showare Center)

Studios - From $1,149
1BR - From $1,429

The Platform apartments are a dream come true for commuters and city dwellers alike. Our prime Kent location not only grants the supreme walkability and comfort of beautiful Downtown Kent, but also easy access to bustling Downtown Seattle via the amazing Sounder train.

From your new home at The Platform apartments you can walk .2 Miles (4 minutes) to the Sounder Station, hop on a train that arrives every 20-30 minutes throughout the day, and you’re set to arrive in the heart of Downtown Seattle in 26 quick minutes! If that isn’t enough good news, the Sounder train will only cost you $7.00 for a trip from your apartment to Downtown Seattle and back!

Whether you commute to work, or simply wish to take advantage of the big city lifestyle at a fraction of the cost, The Platform apartments are the perfect place to find Downtown Seattle apartments without paying the Downtown Seattle price.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:09 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
I actually recommend that you find a place that is a single bus away from work. That will keep you at a $1500/mo budget where you can have your own assigned parking spot. Areas such as Fremont, Wallingford, Capitol Hill, etc. are all fine. You will probably find it's convenient to just take a bus to/from work every day and have your car available for evenings and weekends if you want to go somewhere.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I actually recommend that you find a place that is a single bus away from work. That will keep you at a $1500/mo budget where you can have your own assigned parking spot. Areas such as Fremont, Wallingford, Capitol Hill, etc. are all fine. You will probably find it's convenient to just take a bus to/from work every day and have your car available for evenings and weekends if you want to go somewhere.
I agree. If it were me I'd be looking only at stuff that's a short bus ride from work or even walkable. If you're a single person without kids, why not live smaller and closer rather than spending 5-10 hours a week commuting?

The above neighborhoods are good options. I might also consider include Queen Anne, the Central District, and First Hill. None of those are adjacent to SLU but they're close. North Capitol Hill and maybe lower Queen Anne would be at the top of my list though. Why bus it if you can walk it?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 11,242 times
NullPointer333, try Belltown. It's a short walk to Amazon and has more rentals than South Lake Union. I second the recommendation that you find something walkable or near public transport because you won't want to bring your car into South Lake Union if you don't have to. I live in South Lake Union and getting to and from the freeway from here during rush hour is something that should be avoided.

When I first moved to Seattle (a long time ago), I got a place here: http://www.rent.com/washington/seatt...court-4-434458

They have a secure parking lot under the building.

Looks like they are in your price range. Lots of bars, restaurants and other things to do near by as well.

Last edited by HeatherLeigh; 07-31-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,455 times
nahhh, you guys are crazy, 1500 can get you 1 bedroom downtown, no need to goto Kent, or U-district, and the rent around Seattle is all relative. A one bed at nicer apts down around south Seattle, goes about the same up in Northgate. And 14-1500, probably does not include water, electric, sewage or parking. You might be looking at 1600 with all that.

Also for almost 1500 in Kent you could get a 1000+ sqft 2 bed 2 bath apt.

I drive around for my job, and get bored and call places out of curiosity and I also work in Kent, but live in Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area