Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 11:24 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,620 times

Advertisements

Bellevue College is converting all on-campus classes to online for the rest of the quarter, which ends March 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 12:11 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
The only thing you have proved is that you have difficulty holding several ideas in your head at once.

China is at fault for the initial outbreak - TRUE

Wuhan government initially reacted too slowly and ignored the warnings - TRUE

Eventually the Chinese government, through draconian measures, were able to slow or perhaps even halt the growing infection - TRUE

Seattle now has cases of its own infections which will require efforts to stem, regardless of what happened in China - TRUE

Hurts your head doesn't it?
"Seattle"? Define "Seattle". I was told, that all the cases of the virus that were fatal in the area were in Kirkland. (I was planning to visit a friend in Kirkland in April, but another friend nixed that idea.). So, what's going on in Seattle? And what about that case in Everett that was quarantined? Why isn't anyone talking about Kirkland? Have people over there stopped going to work, and been hunkered down with their food supply for the last week or more?

Two months' worth of food? I don't know anyone who has that kind of storage capacity, unless you're talking freeze-dried food. Is all this expected to be necessary? An entire city or urban area under lockdown? I'm not able to get my mind around this.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:12 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,785,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
UW is suspending all in-person classes through Winter quarter:
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/cor...EQ5YCL75367PU/
Wow.
I take a couple courses there, many professors in my program had already moved classes online on their own discretion (which the University approved). We already get assignments and announcements online, classes have an online space for class discussion, homework is submitted online. My class met online this week, and I actually rather enjoyed it. I felt there was better focus on the content, and the few people who usually try to dominate the class were pretty much shut down. However the class was still instructor -led so you had real-time interaction. I could go for more of this...

Old 03-06-2020, 02:17 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Really good article by a Kirkland woman which reflects a lot of the frustration a lot of people are feeling in the Seattle area:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/opini...ner/index.html

Old 03-06-2020, 06:21 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Seattle"? Define "Seattle". I was told, that all the cases of the virus that were fatal in the area were in Kirkland. (I was planning to visit a friend in Kirkland in April, but another friend nixed that idea.). So, what's going on in Seattle? And what about that case in Everett that was quarantined? Why isn't anyone talking about Kirkland? Have people over there stopped going to work, and been hunkered down with their food supply for the last week or more?

Two months' worth of food? I don't know anyone who has that kind of storage capacity, unless you're talking freeze-dried food. Is all this expected to be necessary? An entire city or urban area under lockdown? I'm not able to get my mind around this.
The places you mentioned are all in the Seattle area. Downtown Seattle is like a ghost town, a lot of businesses are closed and people are working from home for the next few weeks at least. Restaurants with regular waiting time are completely empty and there is very light traffic.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:37 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,675,377 times
Quote:

The whole area is quiet. It's like early morning on Christmas Day when everyone is sleeping in or being lazy. The busiest coffee shop in Issaquah just sent out a 75% off coupon for mobile orders specifically tailored around those that are working from home and don't want to go inside the store Never seen that before...

I had half my clients cancel on me until next month. Another two clients are home, but still want me to work. If school gets cancelled I could be down to 15- 20%

I think a lot of people are like me and running only to the grocery store once a week. In and out as quickly as possible.

My son has two soccer games this weekend. We thought they might be cancelled, but they are just changing some of the rules. We plan to go to the games and then to our favorite coffee shop (one day, not both) on the outskirts of the area (North Bend). We bring disinfecting wipes with us and hope for the best.

Costco is no longer giving samples and instead the workers, wearing gloves, are spending their time wiping down the cases and carts.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:41 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
.......Two months' worth of food? I don't know anyone who has that kind of storage capacity, unless you're talking freeze-dried food..........

Most people do have the ability to store 2 months worth of food. Even if your place is really small, you can most likely store 2 months worth of canned food under your bed. A case of cans, 24 cans, isn't very big. A 25 pound bag of oatmeal will fit behind the sofa and that is more than 60 days worth of oatmeal.

2 months, 60 days, 60 hamburger patties if they are correctly wrapped will fit into a standard refrigerator freezer.

Food at the store is packaged to look as large as possible, so perhaps repackaging will give you more space.

Is it necessary? No one knows. Probably not necessary, but, really, a pandemic in the near future might happen, it might not. How's your ability with the Tarot cards? Magic 8 ball?

Old 03-07-2020, 10:45 AM

8,173 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Bulk food (big bags of rice, beans, quinoa, oatmeal) are great examples.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The places you mentioned are all in the Seattle area. Downtown Seattle is like a ghost town, a lot of businesses are closed and people are working from home for the next few weeks at least. Restaurants with regular waiting time are completely empty and there is very light traffic.
Sure is quiet out this morning, too. I don't wish to exaggerate, there are some people out. Absolute volumes per "normal," ask the city and local businesses I guess. Haven't been downtown, I'm in Kirkland.

Swung by Ground Zero out of curiosity. One Kirkland PD on the street, engine running, watching. Not much other activity. Just kept rollin' along. The incongruity of a playground next door was a bit strange, not that this plague would spread in such a way to endanger it. Streets in that part of Kirkland are a bit apocalyptic, which amusingly enough includes "my" part. Few cars, fewer all the time maybe. Cue spooky music. I don't want any part of this crap either, and plenty of food at stores for brief runs out there. Bottle of sanitizer in my product, used it at a Redmond diner this AM early, no one seems to take offense per se.

Seems to be quieter and quieter over time. Time for pure speculation, week over week, Day 10 since this news got out (which I consider to be Feb 27, CDC conference). Of course, it was really around for weeks prior, to be clear!

- No one "wants" to get this, it makes some around here very sick, and has killed some vulnerable persons. An unknown number have been infected, and recovered.

- "I think" 18 fire and other first responders of maybe 35 quarantined seem to have symptoms. Communicable...but they're quarantined together I gather...

- That the government...State, I do suppose...has not thrown a blanket on this place seems to be good news? Hard to say, I guess.

I haven't been sick in more than year, I think. That being normal flu and colds. Think I'll keep my protocols in-place, which are a bit reclusive, until further notice and mass vaccinations. NO idea when that will be.

Prudent plan seems to be: be a bit more cautious than usual, think twice on mass gatherings, maybe lay low and do household activities for a few months. I work from home, not so hard to do. I commended the friendly, fluffy blonde at my favorite diner this AM for turning up for (two) jobs. She rolled her eyes real quick and said something to the equivalent of, we do what we must. Working/service people indeed do; I feel for 'em but need to hunker down a bit, too.

(Or, "choose to" hunker down a bit.)

They're going to suffer. It's going to be awhile before this blows over, my personal prediction. If that's weeks or months, I got nothing.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Clark County, SWWA. Has reported (1) 70 YO male with Covid-19

This is not what we'll be doing...

. bring disinfecting wipes with us and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area