Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 929 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering retiring to Portland or Seattle next year and trying to find a suburb that would meet my family's priorities (once child in high school and one in middle school), which are:

- Very good schools, preferably with at least about 10% Asian students
- 2500+ SF house, with 7500+ SF lot, budget $1MM-$1.25MM
- Access to hiking, cycling, perhaps a running track, preferably within walking distance or a very short drive
- Walkable neighborhood, with walking access to shops and restaurants
- Safe neighborhood

We like Portland and Seattle generally for their liberal, open-minded people; Asian populations; international airports; and possible resilience to global warming.

We particularly like the Hillside neighborhood in Portland, which seems to offer all of the above, including Lincoln HS as well as access to the 5000 acre Forest Park and Northwest 23rd Avenue shopping. Homes there seem to be in our price range: https://www.zillow.com/hillside-portland-or/.

In Seattle, we are looking at Mukilteo, Sammamish, Lake Forest Park, and Bainbridge Island. Thoughts on how those might stack up? Or suggestions for other neighborhoods?

Thanks in advance for the community's thoughts.

Cal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 08:10 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltango View Post
Hi,

We are considering retiring to Portland or Seattle next year and trying to find a suburb that would meet my family's priorities (once child in high school and one in middle school), which are:

- Very good schools, preferably with at least about 10% Asian students
- 2500+ SF house, with 7500+ SF lot, budget $1MM-$1.25MM
- Access to hiking, cycling, perhaps a running track, preferably within walking distance or a very short drive
- Walkable neighborhood, with walking access to shops and restaurants
- Safe neighborhood

We like Portland and Seattle generally for their liberal, open-minded people; Asian populations; international airports; and possible resilience to global warming.

We particularly like the Hillside neighborhood in Portland, which seems to offer all of the above, including Lincoln HS as well as access to the 5000 acre Forest Park and Northwest 23rd Avenue shopping. Homes there seem to be in our price range: https://www.zillow.com/hillside-portland-or/.

In Seattle, we are looking at Mukilteo, Sammamish, Lake Forest Park, and Bainbridge Island. Thoughts on how those might stack up? Or suggestions for other neighborhoods?

Thanks in advance for the community's thoughts.

Cal
Good morning Cal. My daughter lives in Portland. When I think of Hillside neighborhood, I think of treed streets, views over the landscape and Portland Downtown. I also think about how it has good access to all of central Portland, pretty easy to hop in the car and get anywhere in the city. Lastly, it feels safe, welcoming, cosy.

Places that do all of that the best in Seattle are Queen Anne, Madison Park, Washington Park. Unfortunately, for the kind of home you want, they are probably beyond your budget. Bainbridge could work, focusing on places without views. Mukilteo is an option for sure, your price to value will be a little better there. Conversely, it is father from all the amenities of Seattle. You might want to throw Phinney Ridge and Mount Baker on your list. All of these places can have (to various degrees) some walkability.

Edmonds is one place you didn’t mention that could be a good fit. Sammamish has some nice spots but not really a core (cafes, town culture) that it sounds like you enjoy. I have a listing in Lake Forest Park right now. It’s a nice treed area, quite pleasant but again, not walkable or close to what I think you would like. About you wanting to be in an area where there are people of Asian descent, I can’t really think of any areas of Seattle that doesn’t have that. Very comfortable region in that way.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 09-16-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 12:17 PM

Wow, posted too early this morning on my small device. My English professor ancestors are rolling in their graves, I meant "cozy" and "farther". .

Old 09-16-2020, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 929 times
Thanks, homesinseattle. That is helpful, and I will check out the other neighborhoods you identified. I had looked briefly at Queen Anne but (as you say) thought the prices might be a little too high. Will look at Edmonds and the others, especially Phinney Ridge and Mount Baker, as I am completely unfamiliar with those two.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltango View Post
Thanks, homesinseattle. That is helpful, and I will check out the other neighborhoods you identified. I had looked briefly at Queen Anne but (as you say) thought the prices might be a little too high. Will look at Edmonds and the others, especially Phinney Ridge and Mount Baker, as I am completely unfamiliar with those two.
You're welcome! In Mukilteo, Kamiak High School is very highly rated. Your money will certainly go farther there than Seattle, added benefit of a nice ferry ride to Whidbey Island right from Mukilteo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area