Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 1,831 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a condo in NewCastle. From my research it seems it is in Renton and Issaquah school districts. Renton SD seem to have ok ratings. My question is - if I buy a property in NewCastle, is it a good decision school district wise ? I also read Bellevue school district also serves portion of NewCastle but can't find much details about it. Though I am planning to stay for long term at this property, can it cause resale problem due to Renton SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 07:44 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Hi seavik. Look at it this way. Bellevue school district is more highly rated, Renton Schools have gotten better and will continue to. You are (probably) buying in Newcastle because you can buy at a lower price point than Bellevue. Your place won’t become Bellevue or resell in the same way as Bellevue but you already know that. There will always be a market for close in places like Newcastle.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:03 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seavik View Post
We are considering buying a condo in NewCastle. From my research it seems it is in Renton and Issaquah school districts. Renton SD seem to have ok ratings. My question is - if I buy a property in NewCastle, is it a good decision school district wise ? I also read Bellevue school district also serves portion of NewCastle but can't find much details about it. Though I am planning to stay for long term at this property, can it cause resale problem due to Renton SD?
Well, there is a pretty substantial difference between Renton and Issaquah school districts. Do you know which one the property is in? I'm assuming it will be in the ISD. I don't think RSD goes quite that far: [url]https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1t1aBpq0d7TW67eP70ByLKkFf6eA&ll=47.5130 5409167999%2C-122.14034649791296&z=12[/url]

I bought a property a few miles from New Castle last summer and it did end up being in the ISD and that probably accounted for a $50k price increase over what I thought I should pay, but I don't think you'll have a resale problem even if your property is in RSD. Maybe it won't appreciate as quickly, but also consider that this has been true all along... meaning that the value difference between school districts is already baked into property market values and it is a more steady variable in terms of home appreciation than something like a recession, market collapse or, on the opposite end, a booming tech market...

New Castle is nice and it will continue to be nice... you have a lot of nice homes up in there... this matters more than if that corner of the community happens to be in the RSD (when most areas are in Bellevue or Issaquah). I personally wouldn't worry about it... what matters more is if you plan to stay in your home long term...

Old 04-11-2021, 10:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
I used to work as a city planner for the city of Newcastle. There was a definite difference in perception (and price) for Renton vs. Issaquah school districts.

Your resale will be fine either way, but make sure this knowledge is priced into your housing offers and overall viewpoint.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 1,831 times
After a bit more browsing, I figured it is in Issaquah SD. Couple of blocks north is Bellevue zip code. We drove through the area and it does seem nice. Thank you guys for your responses. It is always nice to get different perspectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area