Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 03:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
San Francisco is notorious for closing down early; maybe it's a West Coast thing, or Northwest thing (if you count NorCal as part of the NW, which some people do)? Is Portland any different?

It is a west thing.

I moved from New Jersey to California in 1962 at the age of 12. I even noticed it at that age.

I never understood the expression NINE TO FIVE. All the jobs I had the LATEST time I could show up to work was EIGHT. Normal starting time was 7:30....and most people showed up at 7:00.

All those jobs were forestry jobs. Be thankful your not a logger. They show up for work at 3:30 in the morning. Seattle for a long, long time was still basically a logging town, that just happened to build airplanes because the trees were there. Yeah, airplanes started being built out of wood.

For a long, long time the west was mostly rural. The early to bed, early to work takes hold. I suspect in a hundred years of so the times will shift for work and play particularly in core urban areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 04:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
San Francisco is notorious for closing down early; maybe it's a West Coast thing, or Northwest thing (if you count NorCal as part of the NW, which some people do)? Is Portland any different?
Portland is worse. But Seattle still used to have stuff open later pre-covid. Maybe that will change this summer.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:21 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Seriously.

Granted all but 2 months of my time lived here so far has been Covid-times. But still, I'm right here in the heart of the city- where are all the 24/7 and open until 2am places? Bars, fast food, convenience stores, etc. We had a lot more in Atlanta- that's surprising to me.

My fav places to get some quick eats all seem to close at 8pm or 9pm or earlier. Stinks, because I work late and am kind of a night owl.
In normal times, there were plenty of places open until 2am, around or in the Market, Belltown, Pioneer Square, etc. The "business" district, north of Pioneer Square and south of the "retail" district, has always been a bit of a dead zone.

Apart from Beth's or Denny's, there's never been many places open 24/7.

Old 06-11-2021, 08:11 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times
I miss Waffle House sooooooooo much.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:38 PM

432 posts, read 359,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Apart from Beth's or Denny's, there's never been many places open 24/7.

Weren't the Dog House -> the Hurricane Cafe open 24/7? But you're right, I don't remember others.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:56 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Weren't the Dog House -> the Hurricane Cafe open 24/7? But you're right, I don't remember others.
Yes, I believe so. Even places that were open for drinks until 2am would sometimes shut down their kitchens after 10pm, or earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: